• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Anyone know if the Asus B350-Plus supports the 1600 straight out of the box?

My old man's Sandybridge workstation died, and want to throw together a new Ryzen one for him.

It should do.

I built a B350 MSI tomahawk and R5 1500X system for a friend and it worked out the box, I updated the BIOS afterward perfectly fine

Soldato
Anyone know if the Asus B350-Plus supports the 1600 straight out of the box?

My old man's Sandybridge workstation died, and want to throw together a new Ryzen one for him.

The MSI B350 Tomahawk does(not sure about the white one) and the ASRock AB350M-HDV will support a Ryzen 5 1400 out of the box. If the first BIOS revision lists the Ryzen 5 1600 as supported it should in theory be fine.

Associate
No because hitting 4000+ benefits me also!
In all seriousness I don't think these current ryzen chips can handle it.

I'm more confident than ever that its possible. Just installed the new Taichi Beta BIOS and it recognised my 3866 gskill memory, I had to dial it back to 3600 get it to boot fully, I think with some playing I may be able to get more. The RAM timings change all the way up to 3600 speed, but then stay the same as 3600 if I go to 3733 speed or 3866. I think if I slacken off the right values I might be able to get it faster. 3600 is just a matter of setting everything to Auto, and thats what I was hoping for so I'm really pleased, if I can get all the way to 3866 it will be more than I hoped for.

There are are at least twice as many RAM settings as the previous BIOS, I'm going to do some reading and then see what I can get. My spec is in my signature.

TUG5hm

Edit, for some reason I can't attach an inline image, screenshot is here: http://imgur.com/a/LL5sf

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm more confident than ever that its possible. Just installed the new Taichi Beta BIOS and it recognised my 3866 gskill memory, I had to dial it back to 3600 get it to boot fully, I think with some playing I may be able to get more. The RAM timings change all the way up to 3600 speed, but then stay the same as 3600 if I go to 3733 speed or 3866. I think if I slacken off the right values I might be able to get it faster. 3600 is just a matter of setting everything to Auto, and thats what I was hoping for so I'm really pleased, if I can get all the way to 3866 it will be more than I hoped for.

There are are at least twice as many RAM settings as the previous BIOS, I'm going to do some reading and then see what I can get. My spec is in my signature.

TUG5hm

Edit, for some reason I can't attach an inline image, screenshot is here: http://imgur.com/a/LL5sf

What memory stability testing have you done on that speed? I can boot at 3600 with my 4266 memory but it's far from stable. If we can hit 4000+ then great but I'm not holding my breath.

Soldato
Soldato
Making that PC with what then? 6900K which costs 3 times the money, or 7700K for same money and less performance?
Ryzen 7 is the only sensible option, paired with 3200mhz ram also.
AMD are a competitor in the consumer space and in Nvidia sponsored games like ROTTR,the Nvidia cards seem to have driver problems with Ryzen - it was one of the games which skewed results in the test suites towards the i7 7700k.

Caporegime
Making that PC with what then? 6900K which costs 3 times the money, or 7700K for same money and less performance?
Ryzen 7 is the only sensible option, paired with 3200mhz ram also.

Yeah, that's what they said "Ryzen 1700X is the best performance for $ right now"

Of course they are right but i'm surprised that one of nVidia's PR channels would recommend anything AMD, but then again are Intel any less rivals?

Soldato
Yeah, that's what they said "Ryzen 1700X is the best performance for $ right now"

Of course they are right but i'm surprised that one of nVidia's PR channels would recommend anything AMD, but then again are Intel any less rivals?

I would say AMD is the bigger one potentially since the Apus will have a big potential to take share off the lower end cards especially in laptops.

Edit!

However there is potentially still a lot of bad blood though with Intel after they screwed Nvidia out of the chipsets business.

Back
Top Bottom