• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Scratch that, not stable, put it back to stock for now as when overclocked it doesn't seem to down clock with any sort of C/P states either. Although at stock I never see a core above 3.7 :S

Interesting thing this here Ryzen, not exactly an overclockers dream...

Soldato
Scratch that, not stable, put it back to stock for now as when overclocked it doesn't seem to down clock with any sort of C/P states either. Although at stock I never see a core above 3.7 :S

Interesting thing this here Ryzen, not exactly an overclockers dream...

Ryzen isn't an overclockers dream. But it can be overclocked. Give it another go. Patience and thoroughness is required. You cant short cut with overclocks as it will eventually fall over.

What chip do you have? I don't know if the voltages between the R7 and the R5 have the same voltages. For the R7 I have mine at 1.35v for 3.8Ghz. It cant do anything faster as it's unstable.

This is the method I've used to get a stable overclock:

CPU test

Prime 95: Custom FFT config (Min & Max = 128, with run FFTs in place selected 2-3 hours - test sleep as well) - remember to enable to round of checking and the other one under advanced.

RAM

HCI

Use 90-95% of unused ram

1 instance of HCI per CPU thread

400% up to 16Gb and 200% over 16Gb.

Soldato
on a 1600x? it should be boosting to 4.1 stock but I'm not seeing it.

Maybe I have to back off the RAM speed to get the CPU stable.

3.7 is stock on a 1600X as you mention.

You will see 4.1 only temporarily under single/dual core loads.

As for overclocks I've only seen one person take it above 4.0 on these forums.

Soldato
Spotted: Ryzen 3 1200 CPU with Eight Active CPU Cores Enabled http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/spotted-ryzen-3-1200-cpu-with-eight-active-cpu-cores-enabled.html

Six Core AMD Ryzen 5 1600X Processors With Eight Working Cores Spotted http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/si...cessors-with-eight-working-cores-spotted.html

I knew about the 6 cores but the Ryzen 3 as well :p? Wonder if it's from the same batch as the unlocked 6 cores. Mine seems to be from April even though I bought it around August so I got unlucky :(.

Permabanned
I knew about the 6 cores but the Ryzen 3 as well :p? Wonder if it's from the same batch as the unlocked 6 cores. Mine seems to be from April even though I bought it around August so I got unlucky :(.

Have you tried to unlock yours? Even if you don't unlock it, 12 threads have to be pretty sufficient anyways ;)

Soldato
Have you tried to unlock yours? Even if you don't unlock it, 12 threads have to be pretty sufficient anyways ;)

It's a hardlock so no BIOS trick will unlock the extra cores. It was a June batch if I remember correctly where they forgot to lock the extra cores, so those who managed to get a CPU from that batch pretty much got Ryzen 7 CPU for the price of a Ryzen 5.

Permabanned
It's a hardlock so no BIOS trick will unlock the extra cores.

When the laser cuts, it's indeed not nice.....

It was a June batch if I remember correctly where they forgot to lock the extra cores, so those who managed to get a CPU from that batch pretty much got Ryzen 7 CPU for the price of a Ryzen 5.

But at least you can try. There is always a probability for a nice surprise out there ;)

Soldato
Ryzen 2 Crazy Specs Leak - 12 Cores & 5.1GHz

To trade in my 3.9ghz 1600x for a 5ghz 12 core with 24 threads, Wouldn't that be nice.

I think that belongs in the just too good to be true category for something like that to appear next year.

In 2019 however with the move to a 7nm process I can see something with those spec appearing.

Permabanned
I think that belongs in the just too good to be true category for something like that to appear next year.

In 2019 however with the move to a 7nm process I can see something with those spec appearing.

It does but it's about time we got a break, The original info's from KitGuru so you never know we may see it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom