• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Thanks, It will be at 1920 x 1080(1200)p resolution. As I do not currently have more than mouse and keyboard, do you have a suggestion for an additional (cheap) controller to dip my toe in so to speak, do I need one?
If you need a controller I'd still recommend Xbox 360 ones. Not as stupidly expensive as current-gen controllers, they work fine on Windows, and they're generally great IMO. I have a few I use for couch gaming sometimes.

Soldato
OP
2400G iGPU is so easy to overclock, just type in 1500Mhz core clock and no extra volts needed. Does give it a healthy boost over stock performnace. Only downside is it seems to run at 1500 all the time, not sure how to get it to downclock xD

Soldato
Pretty sure everyone in the second thread reports HDMI 2.0 working on their boards (although I assume not every board in existence is quoted). The first post for example says that a mode that requires HDMI 2.0 (2160p60 4:4:4) is working on a board whose specifications only quote HDMI 1.4 (GA-AB350M-Gaming 3). Same with the second post, suggesting an ASRock B350M Pro4 also works in this resolution despite only officially supporting 2160p30 (i.e. HDMI 1.4).

Caporegime
Soldato
I suppose AMD would get a lot more mud slung at them than Intel do if they were to cut the same corners.
And despite Intel producing a fair few rather toasty CPU's, its AMD that have the hot rep from bulldozer. The amount of memes if AMD had come out with a Ryzen that needed delidding for decent overclocks would have been overwhelming.

I think its worth it. The cost is minimal, the new architectures seem to be cheap to produce and scale great so why not spend a pound more a unit for a better product out the gate.

Soldato
I put Nicehash on the 2400g just to see... and it is predicting about $.20/day return.... it looks like legit reviews certainly had that one right. If there is an algorithm that requires less L3 cache so you can get all 4 threads pulling it would go up a chunk, but I know nothing about mining and don't like downloading random software that has that level of access to my PC.

$60/yr is not much of a return... It will take about 4 years to be able to afford a graphics card to put in it from just mining :)

Soldato
Soldato
CPU tests on RR with faster RAM:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ryzen-2400G-Memory-Scaling

It seems to have better CPU performance with faster RAM,so it appears even a single CCX design likes faster RAM(unless OFC it is down to the lower amount of L3 cache).

I am hoping to do some more playing with RAM over the weekend - it is not clear from the article whether those speed changes are with progressively looser timings or not. I am running at 2800Mhz with pretty tight timings. I know I can run at 2933 but don't know how much further than that I can take it and be stable. But I will be able to downclock to 2133 and test from there on up.

Interestingly lots of those tests are showing no drop off in the performance improvements shown I am limited on benchmarking software but will see what affect we get on Heaven at least.

Permabanned

I wonder how it'll compare to the Switch?

I suppose it being a PC portable meaning it can use Steam and all the others is a big win. A hell of a lot better thanks to the limitless amount of games available.

Sounds like its been plagued with issues since its conception.

I think the main issue was a case of not having chips available with the horsepower and low power levels to make it feasible until now, Presumably the Ryzen APU's offer that. It'll be great for PC gamers that spend time on a train every day commuting to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom