• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
Rushed release would be an understatement. The boards at launch were very much in beta infancy, too little time/knowledge for them to get anything ready.
I believe that the board manufacturers did aknowledge that they weren't given enough time to produce motherboards. I have a gut feeling that they also weren't quite expecting Ryzen to perform as well as it did or to sell as well as it did and they got caught off guard.

Soldato
Here's a hypothetical question.

I have a 1700 at the moment and poor clocking 3200Mhz ram which only does 3066Mhz. All this is sitting on a Asus Prime-Pro X370.

Lets say in two years I upgrade to a 3700x.

The mobo stays the same, if I bought faster DDR4 ram, would I be able to get faster speeds despite the mobo staying the same?

Soldato

I have a 1700 at the moment and poor clocking 3200Mhz ram which only does 3066Mhz. All this is sitting on a Asus Prime-Pro X370.

The mobo stays the same, if I bought faster DDR4 ram, would I be able to get faster speeds despite the mobo staying the same?
Probably. The IMC is on the CPU, not the motherboard.

Associate

Hopefully 3700x will be released sometime Q2 2019. AMD should move to DDR5, requiring a new motherboard by 2020.

Soldato
The French magazine CanardPC Hardware will be featuring a full Ryzen 7 2700X review on Monday!
https://videocardz.com/75489/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-pictured-full-review-on-monday

Heads up to those in France. On Monday everywhere in France (and on Saturday in Paris) a new issue of CanardPC Hardware magazine will be available. This magazine will feature two Ryzen 2000 reviews, the Ryzen 2200G/2400G and also Ryzen 7 2700X, which is launching on April 19th.

While this is all interesting, and we can’t wait to see the results, this is in fact, the first picture of retail Ryzen 7 2700X to be made public. No other details were revealed, let’s hope it was tested on X470 motherboard as well.

CPC:

We have found significant improvements on some points … but also an unpleasant surprise that we let you discover!

I hope its not tested in an A320 motherboard as the cover picture indicates!!

Edit!!

The magazine might be out tomorrow in Paris.

Associate
Yes my thought exactly CAT! I hope AMD sent them a X470 motherboard together with that CPU, so we can see all the new hardware in action.
Edit: It seems CanardPC did test the 2700X on a A320 board :/

Last edited:
Soldato
Comment on the article:

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=en&u=https://www.overclockingmadeinfrance.com/premier-test-du-ryzen-7-2700x/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/86vtcv/canard_pc_magazine_ryzen_2000_series/

The PC duck April-May 2018 has been delivered to subscribers since yesterday. And this number is a bit special, since it includes the test of Ryzen 7 2700X, Ryzen 5 2600X and Ryzen 5 2600.

We will not show you the graphs of the results, for a reason of respect. However, we will talk about the trend that emerges.

The Ryzen Pinnacle Ridge have a better staggered Turbo than the Summit Ridge, which saw their frequency drop as soon as more than two hearts were used. The Pinnacle Ridge, including the Ryzen 7 2700X therefore, have a Zeppelin in B2 stepping, and also have a uncore "modified" (to understand that he repaired with their stepping B2 which worked poorly with the B1). This brings, a better latency of caches and memory. In addition, it is now possible to clock the core and the uncore in a differentiated way. But what does it give?

In games the Ryzen 7 2700X is of course better than the 1800X, but still does not reach the level of Hexacore Intel (Core i7 8700K in mind). By cons in application, AMD has a sacred advantage. Consumption level, it's a bit cold shower since the latter takes off against the old generation (equivalent processors: 1600X vs 2600X, 1800X vs 2700X ...). The engraving "12 nm" (note the quotation marks) does not make miracles either: the ratio perf / conso does not evolve, worse it almost decreases. It was pretty good on the first generation, as we showed in our test of Ryzen 7 1800X , Ryzen 7 1700X and Ryzen 7 1700 , so it's not too bad.

The small nuance to bring is the fact that CPC Hardware had to use an A320 motherboard, with an AGESA 1.0.0.1a. Which implies that the CPUs in question had their Precision Boost disabled, this technology being only on the 400 series cards. This does not change the performances much, 1 to 2% maximum maximum, and does not change the ratio perf / conso in half-tone.

Their magazine will be available from Monday on the shelves. Go buy it, it's worth the detour and the eternal pink rabbit is always there!

Last edited:
Soldato
First hard crash since I overclocked this system back in Sep 2017.

My guess is it's the memory rather than the CPU.

What what you do? Ignore and carry on or start investigating?

After a restart I played a good 1hr of Assassins Creed Origins no issues and this is the first crash since I overclocked this PC.

Cpu is 3.8 @ 1.35v
RAM 3066Mhz @ 1.4 and Proc ODT 60ohms.

I obviously did stability tests around the time of overclocking.

Can a game cause a hard crash?

Soldato
First hard crash since I overclocked this system back in Sep 2017.

My guess is it's the memory rather than the CPU.

After a restart I played a good 1hr of Assassins Creed Origins no issues and this is the first crash since I overclocked this PC.

Cpu is 3.8 @ 1.35v
RAM 3066Mhz @ 1.4 and Proc ODT 60ohms.

I obviously did stability tests around the time of overclocking.

Can a game cause a hard crash?

Games could cause a crash. Try some others and see if you get the same problem.

Soldato

Investigate every time. Random lockups/bluescreens are unacceptable, imho. I do plenty of stuff that isn't gaming, so a crash during a file save is a very real possibility of losing several hours of work (e.g. corrupted image file).

My motherboard is stupid and sets 1.38v at stock so my last crash certainly wasn't that! On further investigation, since the last BIOS flash (~4 weeks previous), the SoC voltage had dropped back to default. Upped the offset a couple of notches and hopefully that's the last of it :)

Soldato
Investigate every time. Random lockups/bluescreens are unacceptable, imho. I do plenty of stuff that isn't gaming, so a crash during a file save is a very real possibility of losing several hours of work (e.g. corrupted image file).

My motherboard is stupid and sets 1.38v at stock so my last crash certainly wasn't that! On further investigation, since the last BIOS flash (~4 weeks previous), the SoC voltage had dropped back to default. Upped the offset a couple of notches and hopefully that's the last of it :)

I agree. They are unacceptable.

1st time since Sep 2017. I was playing AC Origins. 2 seconds stutter/freeze and the PC restarted.

I'm going to have another play with the Ryzen DRAM calculator again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom