• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Hey All, I have bought a Ryzen 3 2200G processor and a B350 Mobo.

All built and went well but the PC will not boot due to the bios need updating.

has anyone had to request a "Boot kit" from AMD at all and knows how long it took them to get a compatible CPU out? I have filled out the RMA form already so just waiting to hear back which I am guessing will be Tuesday with the bank holiday this weekend

Associate

has anyone had to request a "Boot kit" from AMD at all and knows how long it took them to get a compatible CPU out? I have filled out the RMA form already so just waiting to hear back which I am guessing will be Tuesday with the bank holiday this weekend
Hello. Just recently went through this. They got back to me asking for confirmation that the mb vendor couldn't provide an update. I just stated that ocuk customer services advised me to go to amd direct. Did the trick. Only took one day to arrive after they confirmed shipping. They also provide return details and a return account to use with dhl

Soldato

Even in May? Wow, motherboard manufacturers and retailers should be recalling old stock imo. They are both lucky AMD are lending chips out.

No excuse for such problems now.

Soldato
Hello. Just recently went through this. They got back to me asking for confirmation that the mb vendor couldn't provide an update. I just stated that ocuk customer services advised me to go to amd direct. Did the trick. Only took one day to arrive after they confirmed shipping. They also provide return details and a return account to use with dhl

Excellent, that is good to hear, I asked ocuk if they could update the bios or check what version of the bios it came with before I bought it all but they do not provide a service to update the bios and doesn't state on the box so I was expecting it not to work and having to go down the boot kit required route.

Even in May? Wow, motherboard manufacturers and retailers should be recalling old stock imo. They are both lucky AMD are lending chips out.

No excuse for such problems now.

Yep, I bought the parts on the 3rd, had them here by the 4th and built the pc with my son Saturday expecting it not to work and needing to go down the boot kit option which is why I built it early

Soldato
Yep, I bought the parts on the 3rd, had them here by the 4th and built the pc with my son Saturday expecting it not to work and needing to go down the boot kit option which is why I built it early
That is full on pants. I bought on Launch and was able to get the system up and running... What Motherboard are you using? It must be pretty old stock to still have that problem.

Soldato
That is full on pants. I bought on Launch and was able to get the system up and running... What Motherboard are you using? It must be pretty old stock to still have that problem.

It's a gigabyte B350 gaming 3. I tried a dedicated gpu as well just to make sure it wasn't just a gpu issue as I was using the onboard one and still nothing. Pc gets power and seems to be fine but no display at all and sits on no signal. Was using the hdmi port.

This is the link
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...am4-ddr4-micro-atx-motherboard-mb-559-gi.html

Soldato
It's a gigabyte B350 gaming 3. I tried a dedicated gpu as well just to make sure it wasn't just a gpu issue as I was using the onboard one and still nothing. Pc gets power and seems to be fine but no display at all and sits on no signal. Was using the hdmi port.

This is the link
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...am4-ddr4-micro-atx-motherboard-mb-559-gi.html
You must be super unlucky, that is the same board I am on and is pretty mainstream... Not being able to even get to a bios seems a bit odd. It might be worth checking with customer services as you might have a dodgy board.

Soldato
You must be super unlucky, that is the same board I am on and is pretty mainstream... Not being able to even get to a bios seems a bit odd. It might be worth checking with customer services as you might have a dodgy board.

If I could get in to the bios I should be able to update it from there as I can put the update on to a USB stick.

its a shame it has no error codes or beeps to indicate if there is any issues.

What ram did you get with yours? I got this

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...l-channel-kit-grey-tlgd48g3000-my-09q-tg.html

I did ask in the CS section of the forum and they mentioned they ha mixed stock so this maybe why the cpu doesn't work with my board

Last edited:
Soldato
When the ram is unstable you get blue screen no?

I was getting games just freezing. Windows still running. I could cntrl alt delete out and relaunch.

All started AS SOON as the 8 Pack ram went in.

Any way it's off for RMA now.

I just hope new sticks solve this issue.

Soldato
Forgive the ignorance, but does anyone know why it's impossible for a physically compatible board to run a CPU without a bios update? Feels like there should be some sort of safety-mode boot mechanism, like 1ghz and 1v that works enough to get into the bios. The pin configuration has got to be the same, it's not a complete mystery object stuffed onto the socket :/

Soldato
Forgive the ignorance, but does anyone know why it's impossible for a physically compatible board to run a CPU without a bios update? Feels like there should be some sort of safety-mode boot mechanism, like 1ghz and 1v that works enough to get into the bios. The pin configuration has got to be the same, it's not a complete mystery object stuffed onto the socket :/

It's because the processor has been released after the bios has been put on the motherboard. Any new range of processors for any board requires a updated bios to work or be detected so the current bios doesn't see the processor as a supported one and then doesn't boot. Once a updated bios is on it then it boots succesfuly.

I wish you could get to the bios without a processor as it would then solve all the issues as I could get it on a USB stick and update it that way

Soldato
I wonder if this situation with the whole BIOS thing will make AMD think a bit about how they should tackle supporting long lived sockets going forward, for example its very hard to spec any Ryzen 2 APU or Ryzen 2 CPU into what would be a perfectly suitable B350/A320/X370 board in any of the "spec me" threads on here when we know full well that even OcUK wont commit to checking BIOS versions on boards, or that the purchaser (who'll often not have much experiance or access to Ryzen 1 CPU) will have to get a boot kit from AMD - adding aditional inconvienence to the process...

Soldato

The chip could be anything and break the board. How is the board supposed to know 1ghz at 1v is safe?

Associate
I wonder if this situation with the whole BIOS thing will make AMD think a bit about how they should tackle supporting long lived sockets going forward, for example its very hard to spec any Ryzen 2 APU or Ryzen 2 CPU into what would be a perfectly suitable B350/A320/X370 board in any of the "spec me" threads on here when we know full well that even OcUK wont commit to checking BIOS versions on boards, or that the purchaser (who'll often not have much experiance or access to Ryzen 1 CPU) will have to get a boot kit from AMD - adding aditional inconvienence to the process...
I suspect they're taking the base case as being those buying new will get the newer boards anyway, the older board support aimed at allowing existing users to upgrade and they've got their existing CPU to allow it before dropping in the new CPU. Still, I agree it would be nice to be able to comfortably suggest the older boards in specs without risk of needing to wait for the update kit.

Soldato
They just need to enable BIOS flashing without a CPU. ASUS boards can do it so it's not like the technology doesn't exist.

I agree, I can easily get the bios files from the site using my main PC and would have it up and running by now if I could just get in to the bios to update it.

at least AMD give the option of getting a boot kit sent out (compatible cpu) as far as im aware Intel don't offer this.

Soldato
AMD have approved my request for a boot kit so it should be here in the next few days and I also get to keep the heatsink and fan for the loan cpu as AMD don't want it back :D.

I just hope this is the issue lol

Soldato
After waiting the week I now have my boot kit cpu. The bios that came with my motherboard was F6. The processor they sent was a A6-9500 cpu, it's a shame I need to send it back once done with it lol.

I have updated the bios but yet to swap over the cpus yet but glad this was the issue and was not a hardware issue.

I cannot get the ram to run at 3000mhz as if I turn on xmp it puts the volts upto 1.35 which is what it should be as default is 1.20 the pc does not boot. Maybe a error on my part has it goes from 2400mhz to 3200mhz on the supported list of speeds and doesn't say 3000mhz

Just glad it's all working now and just need to get w10 installed

Back
Top Bottom