• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

HeX

HeX

Soldato
8 pack stuff is top notch. For 3200 yeah it's literally insert and select the 3200 profile.

With a bit of tweaking you can get them to do 3333 C14 / 3466 C15 usually on Ryzen.

Soldato
Watch the video at 12:05 - Mike Clark, Senior Design Engineer/Architect said AMD already working on Zen 5! :eek:
AMD said:
One year after the launch of the first Ryzen™ Processors, we checked back in with John Taylor (Chief Marketing Officer), Suzanne Plummer (CVP Radeon Technologies Group), Mike Clark (Sr. Fellow Design Engineering), James Prior (Product Manager) and Christina Iron (Director, Global Campaigns) to get their first-hand account of launching Ryzen™ Processors. Find out what a difference a year makes and what’s next!

Last edited:
Permabanned
We haven't even had a Ryzen 4 thread yet!

What is Zen 5? :)

Meanwhile, an article, interesting one:

Intel's 10nm Misstep Is AMD's Gain https://seekingalpha.com/article/4168559-intels-10nm-misstep-amds-gain

Intel's timeline originally had 10nm chips going into volume production in the 2H 2015, which would have absolutely crushed any competition had it come to fruition. However, the company postponed the volume launch until 2H 2017, likely because there was more profit left in 14nm to be milked. But nothing happened in 2017, and Intel said it would begin volume production in 2018 instead. Finally, last week, Intel announced that volume production of 10nm would be delayed for the third time and that 10nm products would begin volume production sometime in 2019 (there was no specific time frame given).

What's going on here? So far, it looks like Intel has underestimated the complexity of manufacturing on 10nm and can't get yields to a rate sufficient for volume production. While Intel struggles to iron out its 10nm process, Taiwan Semiconductor (TSM), Samsung (OTC:SSNLF), and AMD-partner GlobalFoundries have been making rapid progress on 7nm processes. TSMC announced last week that it had begun production of chips on the 7nm process node, Samsung isn't far behind that, and GlobalFoundries is set to sample 7nm in mid-2018 and begin volume production soon after.

Permabanned
After watching this:

I think that the reason why Ryzen 7 2700X is behind i7-8700K in the older game engines, is that those use older code, and the frequency deficit on the Ryzen side.
Ryzen on 7nm will bring higher frequencies and I would expect the Core i7 gaming advantage to disappear to non-existent.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
BNAsCzQ.jpg

German IT distributor Bluechip hosted a webminar for its partners in which it shared a roadmap for the rest of 2018. Hoping to give its partners a heads-up on what to expect throughout the rest of the year, the 30 minute webinar inadvertently went public via YouTube, where VideoCardz managed to take some screenshots before the video was deleted. Interestingly the presentation included mentions and a sprinkling of details about AMD and Intel products that previously only existed in the shadows.

On the AMD side of the exposé, we see the following key reveals within the Bluechip slides;

• AMD Z490 motherboards will emerge in June, likely tied in to the Computex show.
  • AMD B450 boards will add new chipset features to the mainstream from late July.
  • A second generation Threadripper (TR4, Colfax) and X399 motherboard refresh will launch sometime in August.

http://www.hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/117857-german-it-distributor-shares-amd-intel-2018-cpu-roadmaps/

Permabanned
Only detail we have AFAIK is that it'll be the new top end AM4 board, and will have an additional 4xPCI-E 3.0 lanes... other than that...

This is actually quite good - more bandwidth for more M.2 slots.
The storage bottleneck is as important as the CPU bottleneck.

Soldato
This is actually quite good - more bandwidth for more M.2 slots.
The storage bottleneck is as important as the CPU bottleneck.

Of course it's good. But the reality is, even now there is no storage bottleneck to begin with. The M2 slot on my CH6 gives me all i need. Why would i need any storage drives to be as fast ? Answer is i don't. Not only that, during the overclocking process on any cpu, i would very much that any storage drives were not part of the process.

Soldato
But the reality is, even now there is no storage bottleneck to begin with. The M2 slot on my CH6 gives me all i need.

I think whilst you don't have a bottle neck, or any need for more PCI-E lanes to accommodate a further device running at full speed, you are not the entire addressable market for the whole Ryzen platform. I literally have a pile of Samsung M.2 drives sat next to me, but I can only run one of them in my Ryzen system on the board, without an adapter in a PCI-E slot, so my needs are equivalent to yours, therefore I say we need more PCI-E lanes. It's now 50/50. :)

Soldato
I think whilst you don't have a bottle neck, or any need for more PCI-E lanes to accommodate a further device running at full speed, you are not the entire addressable market for the whole Ryzen platform. I literally have a pile of Samsung M.2 drives sat next to me, but I can only run one of them in my Ryzen system on the board, without an adapter in a PCI-E slot, so my needs are equivalent to yours, therefore I say we need more PCI-E lanes. It's now 50/50. :)

FFs, of course i'm not the "entire addressable market"..................it's just an opinion. WTF are we all arguing about here ? there really is no need to :mad:

Soldato
.it's just an opinion. WTF are we all arguing about here ? there really is no need to :mad:

Where was the argument? You stated as if it was fact, there is no bottleneck to begin with. I merely pointed out what isn't bad for you is bad for others, just an opinion, no need to fly off the rails. It's Friday night chill a bit :)

Permabanned
FFs, of course i'm not the "entire addressable market"..................it's just an opinion. WTF are we all arguing about here ? there really is no need to :mad:

:)
If there is no storage bottleneck, would you use only 5400 rpm mechanical drives for your OS and everything else?
How about getting rid of the M.2 SSD in favour of the old HDDs?

The storage transfer speeds are as important for the overall system responsiveness and user experience as the CPU speed.
In some cases, actually even more.

And two Samsung 960 Evo 250 GB can cost way less than one Samsung 960 Evo 512 GB.
So, it is sometimes more cost efficient to go for multiple drives, and those multiple drives need slots ;)

Permabanned
I'm using a 256gb Intel 600 M.2 with a 2700x on a B350-M platform, It's not an overly fast drive like some but it offers okay performance of around 1800 read & 600 write. How ever it tops out at around 1200 & 500 respectively which is good enough for me but not what's claimed, I'm not sure if there's a specific reason why I'm not getting the claimed speeds.
Is that how things are usually for you guy's & girls?

I've also got a 500gb Kingston ssd, 256gb Samsung 840 ssd as well as two Seagate barracuda HDD (3tb & 6tb). The two HDD's are both 7200rpm models. I sometimes feel lag when opening the HDD's to look for something. I tend to keep the 3 SSD's with anywhere from 50 to 100 gb's unused.

Soldato
Just wondering what kind of temps and overclock to expect on a ryzen 1700 and 1700x on average.
so I can compare the two.

Permabanned
Just wondering what kind of temps and overclock to expect on a ryzen 1700 and 1700x on average.
so I can compare the two.

Should be the same for both, depending on your luck with the binning of the specific chip under view.
Overclock around 3.9GHz plus, or minus.
Temperatures around 70ish°C max.

Try with Google - "ryzen 7 1700 overclock temperature".

Back
Top Bottom