• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Permabanned
AMD will be introducing their next-generation Zen 2 based processors next year which will first be featured on the EPYC Rome processors. These will be the first high-performance CPUs to feature a 7nm process node and while they are expected to deliver great improvements in performance and efficiency, AMD themselves have already started giving us hints about what the CPU architecture that comes after Zen 2 may look like.

AMD Zen 3 Will Use The 7nm+ EUV Process Node, Primarily Going To Leverage Power Efficiency With Modest Performance Uplift https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-3-7nm-euv-higher-efficiency-modest-performance-gains/

Associate
Ah, so cute, typical wccftech with their extrapolations out of thin air :D by the way, Epyc will come after consumer Zen2, reason being, it takes a bit of time to validate server designs.

Permabanned
It might be, on paper. Though this fact is pointless, as Epyc is server chip, and kinda different beast from desktop, and even if they are first, they will be with big boys, being validated.

Yes but they can delay desktop processors for unlimited time in order to wait for the 7nm process capacity to increase.

Associate
Considering this as an upgrade, any suggestions before i press the empty bank account button ( already have an AIO for the CPU ) and a Vega64 Lc, plus other Sata SSDs, 1kw Superflower PSU etc.
Coming from a 3820 on X79.

AMD Ryzen 7 Eight Core 2700X 4.35GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail

£299.99*

Asrock X470 Taichi AMD X470 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

£209.99*

Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black/Grey (TLGD

£149.99*

Samsung 970 EVO Polaris 1TB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive

£278.99*

DPD Next Day (Mon-Fri)
DELIVERY INFORMATION
Dispatches: Monday to Saturday Arrives: Next working day

Goods total

Delivery costs

Total value excluding VAT

Total VAT at 20.00 %

Total order value

£938.96*

£10.50*

£791.22

£158.24

£949.46

Soldato
Can't see anything wrong with it, although you might be saddened to know I picked up the same SSD for £175 on Black Friday. :p

You could probably save some cash on the SSD and not notice any difference but if you're like me and just want the new tech then fair enough.

Associate
What the flip ! £175, saw OC had it for £229 , but £175 , blimey.

Yes i might go down to the 512gb, does seem a bit excessive and i can swap my most used games in and out from the Sata SSDs.

Soldato
You running it in a PCI-E to m.2 convertor for your X58 system then?
Nah right now it's sitting in a box since I plan to upgrade to Zen 2 next year. I could get an adapter I guess although that might be rather pointless with PCIe 2.0.

What the flip ! £175, saw OC had it for £229 , but £175 , blimey.

Yes i might go down to the 512gb, does seem a bit excessive and i can swap my most used games in and out from the Sata SSDs.
I was actually after the 512 GB version and I had an alert set up for its price on the rainforest. I saw it was £89 but then noticed the 1 TB for £175 and it was too good to pass up really! I can't fit all of my games on 1 TB but I can get most of them on there and use my existing 2 TB MX500 for less important stuff.

Associate
Do I need to buy a new Win10 key, the one I've currently got is from a Win7 upgrade, or can I get ms to give an activation code like the olden days ( been a while since last updated.)

Associate
Do I need to buy a new Win10 key, the one I've currently got is from a Win7 upgrade, or can I get ms to give an activation code like the olden days ( been a while since last updated.)
I've just done a similar upgrade this week (from an Intel 2500k to 2700x, had a win 7 licence that was upgraded) - before I upgraded I linked my windows licence to my Microsoft account (just a bog standard Hotmail one) in the settings area of win 10 . Then when I reinstalled I logged into my Microsoft account as part of the install process and it seemed to work

Associate
I've just done a similar upgrade this week (from an Intel 2500k to 2700x, had a win 7 licence that was upgraded) - before I upgraded I linked my windows licence to my Microsoft account (just a bog standard Hotmail one) in the settings area of win 10 . Then when I reinstalled I logged into my Microsoft account as part of the install process and it seemed to work
how have you found 2500k to 2700x?

Associate
Great, thanks.

The new Adata SX8200 PRP 1TB is around £210,and it might be worth considering that SSD!!
Cheers, I'll have a look.

Permabanned
Apparently you can now overclock the 200GE on the MSI B350M Gaming Pro with latest AGESA 1006 bios. Either AMD did this or it's a bug.

In CS: GO the difference is massive, up from 3.2GHz to 3.9GHz results to upto 50% performance uplift !
In PUBG also quite substantial 10-15 FPS more.

Associate
Great, thanks.

Spoke too soon - Win 10 has started complaining about being activated (which is odd given it was fine before) and the troubleshooter isn't working.

Had to find and enter my old WIn 7 licence key in the end, even though I followed the instructions to link it to my MS account and the MS account clearly had it linked!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom