1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by Boomstick777, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Martini1991

Caporegime

4C/4T were bottlenecking Crossfire/SLI setups from BF3.

2. 4K8KW10

Soldato

My DDR3-1333 was never reported by Windows 10. Just blank spaces there, nothing.

3. Fire_fly

Mobster

Yes, but it wasn't as apparent with the large frame drops that you would experience in BF1. Yes you are bottlenecked but if it can keep it at over 100fps then it is not really that noticeable.

In BF4 with an i5 and 980ti I could keep it at over 100fps at 1080p for the most part with very few frame drops. BF1 on the other hand was a mess with frequent drops into the mid 60s (averaging around 100 the rest of the time) when playing at 1440p.

4. Martini1991

Caporegime

Pretty sure the i5 being pegged at 100% resulted in stuttering etc, rather than the FPS dipping.
    So it was pretty noticeable :p

5. opethdisciple

Capodecina

On the subject of BF, my performance in BF5 is dire.

I've mentioned this many times in the past. Performance with BF1 was crap too. But I don't know if it's a cpu/gpu bottleneck or just something to do with the server you play on.

Once in a blue moon performance will be fine but 90% of the time I get massive slowdowns when there are big explosions, laggyness and hitching.

It detracts from the game. Makes me think about upgrading the GPU to be fair.

Also the two other games I am playing Assassins Creed Odyssey and Metro Exodus also destroy the GPU.

On the other hand really want to wait it out until the Nvidia next gen. (Not super)

6. Drollic

Mobster

You must of stayed away from the tanks and any destruction in the environment then as I ran an i5 on it and it regularly saw drops. Not huge, still perfectly playable but it did drop. Less noticeable in just fps gunplay, sniping etc.

7. oweneades

Sgarrista

Interesting session on Destiny 2 last night. It was the first time I actually experienced the difference fast RAM can have to the overall performance of a game.

For reference I was running the game at 1440p 120FPS G-sync, All High / Highest with SMAA and my specs are:

2700x @ ~4.1Ghz all core boost in game (technically not overclocked (PBO) but this was as reported by HWinfo).
    16GB DDR4 3200 C14
    FE 1080TI @ 2000/11000 (~1974-2020 in game).

When I first dropped into the tower, I noticed my frame-rate was under 60fps and this only increased to the 70-80 range when there were less npcs / players on screen. Certain areas of the actual game, Trostland for example, were also sub 70fps at times. Other times however, I would be hitting my 120fps cap thus assumed it was something odd about the game and not my system (lol, so young and so, so, wrong..).

A quick check of Afterburner showed GPU usage at ~ 65% and CPU usage at ~ 30% overall (some cores loaded up to 60-80% whilst others barely doing anything). Hmmm something not quite right there!

Anywhoo cutting a long story short my RAM had decided to revert to stock 2133mhz speeds despite being set to XMP/DOCP in the bios. Switching it back and I was back up to 80-100 in the tower and 90+ in the game world. GPU usage is still not 100% at all times but I do recall Ryzen is a little slower in this game than Intel.

Not exactly sure what happened but it appears fine now. :confused:

Also does anyone else assume blindly ignore the most obvious things first in an attempt to find the obscure reason why something is working right? :D

8. Phage

Wise Guy

9. opethdisciple

Capodecina

New Chipset drivers.

---

Installed these on my Win 10 1903 PC. Can someone tell me if the AMD chipset drivers installed also?

These seem missing in this release.

---

The release notes mention the Ryzen profile is included, but it is not present in my power profiles.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  10. Scougar

Capodecina

I saw the same thing... have that build and no power plan (I did see a chipset update come through afterwards though.

11. opethdisciple

Capodecina

You mean, pushed through windows update?

12. Scougar

Capodecina

Yes.

i just went out and downloaded a chipset driver update that was released yesterday. Installing now...

13. opethdisciple

Capodecina

Hmm

What I mean is... I installed the AMD chipset drivers (released yesterday) but they did not include the Ryzen power profile.

14. chroniclard

Capodecina

Ryzen power profile has been defunct for a long long time, "balanced" is the recommended profile for Ryzen now.

15. Scougar

Capodecina

ah ok. ALso... these drivers i just installed are the same.. so you are not alone. (I have had to choose high performance profile for now).

16. opethdisciple

Capodecina

That's good to know. That's all that's available now anyway. :D

(Despite the release notes stating otherwise)

17. Gee

Mobster

Not my post, it's from Robert Hallock @ AMD. Posting in-case people are still using Ryzen balanced :)

18. opethdisciple

Capodecina

Yea. I kinda of knew the Ryzen profile was defunct, but from observations I noticed I was getting higher speeds (0.1 - 0.2MHz) using it over the windows balanced profile.

I go back to balanced now tho. Especially considering there is no Ryzen profile in the new chipset drivers.

19. DragonQ

Soldato

My CPU cores run at ~1.4 GHz when not doing much, so I assume that's the lowest they go before entering sleep.

20. Participant

Caporegime

My current strategy is to get the 5700XT, the cheapest 8 core, and the cheapest X570 mobo with reasonable VRMs and no frills.