• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

HeX

HeX

Soldato
just ordered a 1600x and ended up getting a noctua u12s as its the only decent cooler that ships with the mounting kit

seems a bit daft because the cooler is over 50 quid but the way I see it is a just want to game and been without a pc for 2 weeks now, really can't be bothered to mess around ocing so this way ill get a speedy CPU that will maintain decent speeds with a nice cooler

I think

There's plenty of AIO coolers that come with AM4 fittings as standard...

Soldato
There aren't many games that are totally reliant on single thread IPC - mostly really old ones and DX9 titles. But as others have said, you'll gain over 2500K in even those anyway. For anything current it's miles ahead.

There's a good few still. Fallout 4, Far Cry Primal, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Witcher 3, GTA V ( likes cores and Clocks ).

Some reviewers even solely use those games sometimes, and then suddenly Ryzen is painted in a terrible light, despite there also being some clearly wrong with Fallout 4, Tomb Raider, and Far Cry Primal, as there's a ~20% performance difference against AMD there for some reason in those titles.

PcPer did show AMD scaling with memory in those games is also wonderful.

Tomb Raider 12%
Hitman 14%
GTA V 12%

https://youtu.be/WVYcHjad7Rw?t=7m3s

Soldato
There's a good few still. Fallout 4, Far Cry Primal, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Witcher 3, GTA V ( likes cores and Clocks ).

Some reviewers even solely use those games sometimes, and then suddenly Ryzen is painted in a terrible light, despite there also being some clearly wrong with Fallout 4, Tomb Raider, and Far Cry Primal, as there's a ~20% performance difference against AMD there for some reason in those titles.

PcPer did show AMD scaling with memory in those games is also wonderful.

Tomb Raider 12%
Hitman 14%
GTA V 12%

https://youtu.be/WVYcHjad7Rw?t=7m3s

Another thing to be aware of is Nvidias shocking drivers for RyZen support. Currently AMD cards gain a huge boost when paired with Zen, Nvidia need to tweak their drivers to utilise the chip more efficiently, as a result most benchmarks you see of Zen are paired with an Nvidia card and this is definitely not indicative of the performance you will get if paired with an AMD card.

Look at Anandtech review of the 1500/1600 CPUs where they tested with both a 480 and a 1060..

Soldato
There aren't many games that are totally reliant on single thread IPC - mostly really old ones and DX9 titles. But as others have said, you'll gain over 2500K in even those anyway. For anything current it's miles ahead.

My favourites are Kerbal Space Program (dx9, poorly coded, single thread) and Minecraft (JAVA, also poorly coded, single thread), so... yeah. Unfortunately the things I like and come back to for months at a time are a bit old-school ^^; Good to know that it'll be a little better even with those. Hopefully Cities Skylines will love the extra threads, cos it certainly uses 4!

That will be a fantastic upgrade in games and more so productivity ..chalk n cheese

Hope so :)

I've noticed that reviews aren't thinking very hard about what to put in there... There must be some good examples of well-threaded games by now, surely - especially things that also went to console!

And yeah, I'm inclined to give it a few weeks/months and see if motherboard makers can reliably get 3200mhz on the memory without huge amounts of fiddling required. I'd like a solid base to drop Zen+ into in a couple of years without feeling a need to change anything else :)

Soldato
Ah right, thought you were referring to the new microcode.

I'm not sure if AMD have 'full-package' download with drivers and the power profile all bundled, but you can get the power profile on its own already.

I believe in the last community update they said it would be available today and include new power profile.

---

I was actually wrong on this. The community updates does say the power profile will be rolled in to the next chipset drivers, but it was referring to Ryzen master beign available today, no the chipset drivers.

Last edited:
Associate
There's plenty of AIO coolers that come with AM4 fittings as standard...

Could you point me to a few please single fan push pull ( not duel fan) as most I've looked at other than the Cooler Master MasterLiquid 120 AIO 120mm And the be quiet! Silent Loop Superior Liquid CPU Cooler - 120mm seem like to you need to email the manufacture to get the brackets ?

Thanks

Soldato
Another thing to be aware of is Nvidias shocking drivers for RyZen support. Currently AMD cards gain a huge boost when paired with Zen, Nvidia need to tweak their drivers to utilise the chip more efficiently, as a result most benchmarks you see of Zen are paired with an Nvidia card and this is definitely not indicative of the performance you will get if paired with an AMD card.

Look at Anandtech review of the 1500/1600 CPUs where they tested with both a 480 and a 1060..

Oh yay! NVIDIA drivers are still at it....
Thank goodness some reviewers used both Midrange cards.

HAHA! R9 Fury beating the GTX 1080 in Civ 6!!

qmv3fjDc7O3IDMeJMOnibpiu3g7Z4oA5LRWXy5Myq70.png

uk8sSmJ.png

pe1zS4S.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom