AMG out, GT-R in!

Soldato
OP how much of the extra power is really useable for you? As your car isn't a daily driver, maybe that answers my question.

Interested because I recently moved from an ISF (417bhp) to a Cayman S (325bhp). I felt I couldn't access the ISF's performance enough to make it fun as a daily, without playing Russian roulette with my license that is. Worried that I'd miss the power in the CS, I actually found it more fun to drive everyday and the performance more accessible at license friendly speeds. I quoted power above, but obviously its only part of the equation. I'd previously always thought I'd needed more power with each car change, to increase the fun factor. I realise I was wrong here, so I'm just wondering what more performance in the GTR gives you, when the standard car is very fast already.

I'd love a GTR but one of my close friends ran one as a daily for 4 years and his costs were eye watering - fuel, tyres, brakes and servicing. The performance however was incredible, I had an E39 M5 at the time and his standard car felt like a rocket ship in comparison. His was one of the first in the country at the time, so perhaps consumables are cheaper these days.

I could maybe justify a GTR now purely as a toy, but I think the costs still put it in a bracket where I would probably want a 992 GTS or similar instead. But then I am more a poser and not chasing 1/4 mile times.

Associate
Nice to catch up with this thread

I upgraded my 2015 plate in August to a 2017 LM20 (no 20/20 so a bit of a special one). Absolutely love it, especially with the Litchfield’s carbon spoiler etc and of course the TE37’s!

Mine is running 666bhp (standard stage 4.25 for an LM along with the many other upgrades). Top speed is listed at just over 200mph which I have little interest in experiencing but the acceleration off the line is astonishing and sounds incredible.

Man of Honour
I'd love a GTR but one of my close friends ran one as a daily for 4 years and his costs were eye watering - fuel, tyres, brakes and servicing. The performance however was incredible, I had an E39 M5 at the time and his standard car felt like a rocket ship in comparison. His was one of the first in the country at the time, so perhaps consumables are cheaper these days.

This is the downside for me :( I could afford to buy one (well could - the more recent models seem to be ever increasing in price) but running one I'd have a hard time justifying if the costs are anything like what some owners have said.

Though that said running a V6 Outlaw isn't exactly cheap either - actually use it and cost of maintenance quickly picks up :s

Soldato
I'm waiting to see what an electric one will do. if the Tesla can do 60 in under 3 seconds in Ludicrous mode and the current GT-R is capable of loony performance as-is, I wonder what it will be like w/ the instant torque from an electric motor.

OcUK Staff
if you'd rather have sound than performance I suggest you buy a record player.

Not just the sound though is it, the emotions, the tingles, the sensations, harmonics.

It’s about the car feeling special and the emotions it brings and sound plays a major role in that particular with sports and super cars.

Out of the cars I was test driving I picked the slowest, but the simple fact was the Ferrari won because it was truly special and huge fun at legal speeds and sounded amazing. Other cars I was looking at were faster but the way they engaged with the driver and felt special was lacking, even the newer Ferrari’s like 488 were dismissed for same reason.

An electric car can hit 60 in 1s for all I care the simple fact is performance alone does not make a car special and right now performance is all an electric car has to offer to anyone who truly is passionate about cars.

Man of Honour
They are, my lambo has been cheaper to run!!!!

I can believe it to be fair - both of the Nissans I have experience of haven't been exactly cheap, in class, to run :s though nothing like the demands of a vehicle in the GT-R class.

Not just the sound though is it, the emotions, the tingles, the sensations, harmonics.

It’s about the car feeling special and the emotions it brings and sound plays a major role in that particular with sports and super cars.

Out of the cars I was test driving I picked the slowest, but the simple fact was the Ferrari won because it was truly special and huge fun at legal speeds and sounded amazing. Other cars I was looking at were faster but the way they engaged with the driver and felt special was lacking, even the newer Ferrari’s like 488 were dismissed for same reason.

An electric car can hit 60 in 1s for all I care the simple fact is performance alone does not make a car special and right now performance is all an electric car has to offer to anyone who truly is passionate about cars.

Yeah even just going back to a rear wheel drive vehicle I'd forgotten how satisfying that can be when you get the power on at the right point of a corner that a front wheel drive just can't replicate. Personally I love a big torquey V6 even when the overall package isn't the bleeding edge of performance just something about the power delivery and engine/exhaust note that puts a smile on my face.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
OP how much of the extra power is really useable for you? As your car isn't a daily driver, maybe that answers my question.

Interested because I recently moved from an ISF (417bhp) to a Cayman S (325bhp). I felt I couldn't access the ISF's performance enough to make it fun as a daily, without playing Russian roulette with my license that is. Worried that I'd miss the power in the CS, I actually found it more fun to drive everyday and the performance more accessible at license friendly speeds. I quoted power above, but obviously its only part of the equation. I'd previously always thought I'd needed more power with each car change, to increase the fun factor. I realise I was wrong here, so I'm just wondering what more performance in the GTR gives you, when the standard car is very fast already.

I could maybe justify a GTR now purely as a toy, but I think the costs still put it in a bracket where I would probably want a 992 GTS or similar instead. But then I am more a poser and not chasing 1/4 mile times.

As for how usable it is - very, surprisingly! I'm not running any aftermarket traction which is supposedly a big improvement but even so, it puts the power down well. I think you'd have to be really pushing hard on the top map (which I haven't really used - I just sit at lower boost most of the time because the weather is crap) in bad conditions to get any real slip. The danger there is killing the ETS though I think. I wouldn't have any problems using it as a daily and did for a little while over summer - albeit pre box upgrade - though my commute isn't all that long.

From a performance point of view it's not really an issue for me - I love the acceleration and the way it holds the road but I think the consumables expenses are a far more significant factor. Oh and speed bumps - that's probably the single most annoying thing of all, and it's not even lowered!
For me, the point wasn't ever to aim for more power - it's just so happened to be a side effect! :D I was looking to remove the weak points at the power I was running originally, playing it safe lol. And along the way, got some slightly bigger turbos and a re-tune got me to where I am now.

When you get sub 4 seconds 0-60 anyway, i'd take the sound and gears every day.

That's another thing actually - the gears make an incredible sound now. Louder than stock obviously so I guess contribute to not necessarily being that friendly as a daily.

They are, my lambo has been cheaper to run!!!!
Was that just general running costs? Not including mods :p

Man of Honour
I'd love a 370z then a GTR, build up to it.

My mate Tim sold his 450bhp Evo earlier in the year, and replaced it with a 700bhp GTR and a fast road quad.

For me the 370Z is always going to be overshadowed by the GT-R and getting one I'd kind of feel like it was a poor man's GT-R. That said like my Outlaw (while the chassis and shell is the same as the other D40s a lot of the underlying tech and electronics, etc. are either based off or borrowed from the 370Z) I do kind of like the older-school feel to the implementation there is just a touch of brute force behind it (can't really explain it very well) that the GT-R doesn't have.

Soldato
For me the 370Z is always going to be overshadowed by the GT-R and getting one I'd kind of feel like it was a poor man's GT-R. That said like my Outlaw (while the chassis and shell is the same as the other D40s a lot of the underlying tech and electronics, etc. are either based off or borrowed from the 370Z) I do kind of like the older-school feel to the implementation there is just a touch of brute force behind it (can't really explain it very well) that the GT-R doesn't have.

I fully get what you mean, but I am poor and I'd rather run a 370z all the time than a GTR twice a month :D lol

I took a 350z out for a test drive once, the acceleration was great and sparked a little love for them outside of my older VW zone.

Man of Honour
I fully get what you mean, but I am poor and I'd rather run a 370z all the time than a GTR twice a month :D lol

I took a 350z out for a test drive once, the acceleration was great and sparked a little love for them outside of my older VW zone.

I have very mixed views on Nissans especially versus VW - the ones I have experience of are awesome vehicles when everything is working as intended but need a lot of low key maintenance to keep them running properly - little things like tightening up the steering box periodically, etc. while my experience with VWs is that kind of stuff rarely needs to be done and at a much lower interval frequency. Same as I've mentioned before with things like rubber trim, etc. on VW it takes stuff like that more like 10 years to get to the state it does on the Nissans after only 2-3 years.

Back
Top Bottom