ANNO 1800

Soldato
After playing the open beta I was happy enough to grab this when it was around £36. I remember thinking at the time about it being the most I have paid for a game in ages . I was tempted to wait and see if it would drop after launch but the way that Epic and UBI seem to have this as an exclusive I wasn't hopeful that it would get cheaper any time soon.
Then again when I have finished with this game and divide the playing hours into the cost it would have been cheap at £50.

So far, apart from a quest / dialogue bug it has played really well and for me it is up there with Anno 1404 as being the best in the series, not liking the futuristic ones.
They have done a great job with this one.

Using a VPN has a small risk to circumvent regional pricing and that is due to needing to buy it from Russia etc with your UBI account directly from UBI. I have seen some horror posts over at reddit from people who have had their accounts closed for doing such things. I don't know if what I had read a while back was true or not.

I have just got up to the Artisan level in the game, after several failed starts due to a bug, and my goodness there is a lot going on to manage. At times I would love an active pause or to slow the game down a little .!

Pet Northerner
Don
After playing the open beta I was happy enough to grab this when it was around £36. I remember thinking at the time about it being the most I have paid for a game in ages . I was tempted to wait and see if it would drop after launch but the way that Epic and UBI seem to have this as an exclusive I wasn't hopeful that it would get cheaper any time soon.
Then again when I have finished with this game and divide the playing hours into the cost it would have been cheap at £50.

So far, apart from a quest / dialogue bug it has played really well and for me it is up there with Anno 1404 as being the best in the series, not liking the futuristic ones.
They have done a great job with this one.

Using a VPN has a small risk to circumvent regional pricing and that is due to needing to buy it from Russia etc with your UBI account directly from UBI. I have seen some horror posts over at reddit from people who have had their accounts closed for doing such things. I don't know if what I had read a while back was true or not.

I have just got up to the Artisan level in the game, after several failed starts due to a bug, and my goodness there is a lot going on to manage. At times I would love an active pause or to slow the game down a little .!

I was having issues making payment, as you actually pay Epic, not Ubi. I ended up chickening out! I wouldn;t have been the end of the world had something gone catastrophic, as I only have some of HoM&M games on uplay - 99% of my games are tied to steam, or I have GOG versions.

I don't have 100 Uplay coins so it's a case of deciding if £50 is worth it right now to me.

Soldato
Not being able to pause and play is a real pain. Makes it difficult to plan ahead.

Agree, I find that I play the game in more of a reactionary mode than just sit and be able to think and plan. I would also like to watch the game more, it looks so damn good. I thought that it was just my age, probably still has a lot to do with it....! I sometimes have the Anno calculator open on my second monitor whilst playing, hardly get the chance to go through it whilst in game tho...!

I was having issues making payment, as you actually pay Epic, not Ubi. I ended up chickening out! I wouldn;t have been the end of the world had something gone catastrophic, as I only have some of HoM&M games on uplay - 99% of my games are tied to steam, or I have GOG versions.

I don't have 100 Uplay coins so it's a case of deciding if £50 is worth it right now to me.

If I had to buy it today and the best price was £50 I would still be very tempted, reluctantly yes but after playing it for a few hours I recognise what a gem this game is. Saying that I have never paid that much for a game, yet....But I do know how much I'll play it, which is more than can be said for the stack of cheaper games that I have got in my Steam account, not touched yet..! The cost of all those cheaper "bargains" could add up to buying several Anno 1800's.....!
Didn't realise that it was done through Epic and not UBI for the VPN thing. I got the impression that it was via UBI.

Can't believe how much the price has increased over at CD Keys, £50 there as well....!

I am realising in the game that jumping up to the next level of housing (Artisans in my case) can be damn costly without a good financial foundation...! My citizens can riot...!

Man of Honour
I am realising in the game that jumping up to the next level of housing (Artisans in my case) can be damn costly without a good financial foundation...! My citizens can riot...!

I quickly realised this too. Just need enough workers to produce weapons and ships and then just spam farmers.

I also realised that you can buy the basic resources to quickly claim some of the nearby islands. Just need some more defences now.

Really enjoying this. Performance could feel a little smoother, just need to play with the settings.

Soldato
^^^^^ Are you playing through the campaign or the sandbox...? I am going through the campaign.
Trying to get beer up and going and had to claim an island just for the hops. Of course that means having farmers and then workers for the hop farm...! Then to charter the hops across to my main island to complete the beer production.

Yes it is a very enjoyable game, still complaining about the pause or slow down feature tho :D

Man of Honour
I am playing sandbox. I always find the campaigns on these a bit slow, but I’ll get to it eventually. I have gotten to the same stage in my game having to setup one of the second islands. So so need an active pause feature. I have switched to the easiest AI as I don’t want to feel like I am playing Starcraft while I learn the ropes.

Soldato
I thought that by starting the campaign it would introduce me slowly to the mechanics of the game, and then scale up the difficulty as it progresses.
Either way it is easy enough to flip as you would want to.
I get the impression that the happiness of the citizens has an influence on your income, looking after their needs probably encourages them to pay more in taxes or something.

Man of Honour
I thought that by starting the campaign it would introduce me slowly to the mechanics of the game, and then scale up the difficulty as it progresses.
Either way it is easy enough to flip as you would want to.
I get the impression that the happiness of the citizens has an influence on your income, looking after their needs probably encourages them to pay more in taxes or something.

Happiness seems more important than ever, making expansion real slow. Build a few houses, supply starts declining if a particular good, suddenly I go from positive income to negative. I don’t remember it swinging this much in previous titles. It even seems to pay to provide luxury goods - although I guess they will take up valuable space.

I might start a campaign alongside my sandbox.

Switching to Dx12 seems to have solved my performance issues.

Soldato
I ran with Direct X 12 and it was always perfectly stable until the latest patch. After an hour or two I got a DX12 error message and the game stopped. I sent a bug report and also made one here.....

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.p...Crashes-Post-patch-01?p=14199896#post14199896

The performance test will be when you have around 6k or so in population with all the island seen etc on the map.

I was very surprised at seeing how much my income changed when I started to look after their luxury needs. I was hardly making anything and then it started to jump up a lot after they got it.
Manipulating the newspaper can help a little too.

It is taking up room but I suppose that's the point of multi Islands and shipping goods between them as needed.
My concern is that it takes up time. Just to get the hops from that second island it meant building it up to worker level to get the farm down to start production. Whilst all that is going on the AI of course is busy advancing their own levels.

Man of Honour
It is taking up room but I suppose that's the point of multi Islands and shipping goods between them as needed.
My concern is that it takes up time. Just to get the hops from that second island it meant building it up to worker level to get the farm down to start production. Whilst all that is going on the AI of course is busy advancing their own levels.

First sandbox I started I didn’t realise there was one of the hardest AI players. Before no time they had a shipyard and new ships. I figured that might not end too well on my first play through :p

Soldato
First sandbox I started I didn’t realise there was one of the hardest AI players. Before no time they had a shipyard and new ships. I figured that might not end too well on my first play through :p

Lol, I just realised that an AI can offer you a quest, which was an instant click for me, being broke. But then I learned by doing it involved losing relationship points with another faction that I was cultivating my relationships with,grrr. Cancelling that quest dropped 5 points with the person who I accepted it from. Got to watch what I click on in future....!

Just got glass and windows now, damn that was expensive, in upgrades and resources etc...!

Man of Honour
Just arrived in the new world. Seem to have beaten the AI there. Massively overwhelmed now - trying to setup my main island, my second island and now two in the new world. How in earth is there no active pause feature???

Soldato
Just arrived in the new world. Seem to have beaten the AI there. Massively overwhelmed now - trying to setup my main island, my second island and now two in the new world. How in earth is there no active pause feature???

I didn't just get overwhelmed doing that in the campaign my economy tanked as well. I reckon that I went there too early, before I had secured enough in the old world. Went back several saves.

Cracked and bought it full price.

Downloading now!

Enjoy...!

Back
Top Bottom