Ant McPartlin

Soldato
Give it a few weeks for the dust to settle and his management team will have him doing the rounds of breakfast tv to get some sympathy and tell us all how bad drink driving is before he can slot back into the Ant and Dec panto.

Associate
He was twice over the limit.

Wouldn't be hard to conceal would it? That's 2 pints of stella.

If you met a mate in the street who had 2 pints, would you immediately know they were "so ******"?

(I abhor drink driving by the way, I won't even have 1 drink if I am driving)

Try 5-7 pints depending on build and other factors, according to this
I know, DM, but the results surprised me.
A petite dancer weighing 9 st took 2.5 pints to reach the legal limit. A 16 st regular drinker took 3.5 pints.

Last edited:
Associate
i think the point hes making is, he may 'value' it, but it wont stop him paying the bills or feeding himself/family which it could with someone with a lower salary. hence the fine is not 'proportionate' insofar as the impact on his life.

To make it truly proportionate in that way though would be very complicated and probably not viable.

'Twas indeed my point.

Last edited:
Soldato
Try 5-7 pints depending on build and other factors, according to this
I know, DM, but the results surprised me.
A petite dancer weighing 9 st took 2.5 pints to reach the legal limit. A 16 st regular drinker took 3.5 pints.

My mate got done after 2 pints of Peroni, not convinced by that article. I'm paranoid after a pint of shandy lol.

Soldato
He's worth something like £60m+ so he won't even notice that amount missing. In fact, he probably has more than that lying about the place in cash. As for the driving ban, well he already employs a driver so that ain't going to inconvenience him at all. Should've been given a way larger fine and a short custodial stay at HM's pleasure of a few months or something.

a bit harsh for 2x over the limit,

I usually hate it when rich people get of light, or with a small fine, or get off (or try to) on a technicality..

In his case I feel sorry for him and think the punishment is fine

Associate
He's rich, so yeah that's an advantage other people don't have in life. He does pay a shed load more tax money though and we want to encourage people to be successful not punish them excessively for it.

He may well pay more in tax, but I bet he doesn't have to closely monitor his incomings and outgoings every month to make sure he's saving enough to take his family on holiday or save up for a new car.

We want to encourage all people to obey the law, not punish people more because they don't have as much or can't afford good representation, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like the pair of them and I hope he comes away to continue to be as popular as he's always been. I just think to call the fine proportionate is wrong. Everyone has different circumstances. If you're worth 60 mill your circumstances will mean that any small loss can be made up by some clever accounting and you'll barely notice it.

Last edited:
Soldato
He may well pay more in tax, but I bet he doesn't have to closely monitor his incomings and outgoings every month to make sure he's saving enough to take his family on holiday or save up for a new car.

We want to encourage all people to obey the law, not punish people more because they don't have as much or can't afford good representation, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like the pair of them and I hope he comes away to continue to be as popular as he's always been. I just think to call the fine proportionate is wrong. Everyone has different circumstances. If you're worth 60 mill your circumstances will mean that any small loss can be made up by some clever accounting and your barely notice it.

Absolutely, that's one of the benefits of being successful in life. You may as well tell me they can afford to buy a Ferrari and I can't as well, I'll agree, they've done well in life. Congratulations to them. He can be fined £86,000 and it is of less consequence to him than if I were to be fined £500.

In my opinion we should focus on ensuring that fine's don't adversely affect people to the point they can't afford to eat or to pay their rent/mortgage rather than worrying that rich people aren't affected enough. I believe this is already the case though and fines can be paid off over X amount of months.

Caporegime

Neither of those things you mentioned are essential though.

There's people below you in the chain who closely monitor their incomings and outgoings to make sure they can afford to feed their family and that they have gas/electric.

Back
Top Bottom