Ant McPartlin

Associate
He may metabolize alcohol faster than the average person or he may not - it wouldn't be effected by 'experience' though.

Experience has a lot to do with the consequences next day.
Experience has taught me to ...
Get at least one Kebab at some point before the kebab shop shuts
Try and aim for a pizza if at all possible.
Drink plenty of water before going to bed
Dont drink wine as its naff and if you mix it with other drinks it will **** you right up.
Lager is going to taste almost universally poor.

None of these have owt to do with Mcpratlyn - but hey :p

Soldato
He's worth something like £60m+ so he won't even notice that amount missing. In fact, he probably has more than that lying about the place in cash. As for the driving ban, well he already employs a driver so that ain't going to inconvenience him at all. Should've been given a way larger fine and a short custodial stay at HM's pleasure of a few months or something.

Soldato
He's worth something like £60m+ so he won't even notice that amount missing. In fact, he probably has more than that lying about the place in cash. As for the driving ban, well he already employs a driver so that ain't going to inconvenience him at all. Should've been given a way larger fine and a short custodial stay at HM's pleasure of a few months or something.
Which would have been totally disproportionate to others convicted of the same offence?

Commissario
Which would have been totally disproportionate to others convicted of the same offence?
Aye it's hard enough to get people to agree that a percentage of the weekly wage (with basically no upper limit) is proportionate, under the old rules the most he could have been fined would have been £2k, which would have been pocket change for him but a good portion of another persons yearly wage (which is why I agree with percentage fines much more so than fixed limit ones for criminal offences, as it makes the financial pain similar regardless of income).

He was an utter idiot and was very lucky he didn't seriously hurt someone, but one of the tenets of the law is that people should be punished equally under the same conditions, so it would have been unjust to have put him in jail when someone who wasn't as well known would have just had the fine and ban (this is not me supporting drink drivers of any kind, they're all idiots and generally I would prefer them to get much longer bans if not jail if anyone is hurt no matter how minor).

Soldato

Why should he receive a harsher punishment than every other convicted drink driver?

Soldato
Aye it's hard enough to get people to agree that a percentage of the weekly wage (with basically no upper limit) is proportionate, under the old rules the most he could have been fined would have been £2k, which would have been pocket change for him but a good portion of another persons yearly wage (which is why I agree with percentage fines much more so than fixed limit ones for criminal offences, as it makes the financial pain similar regardless of income).

He was an utter idiot and was very lucky he didn't seriously hurt someone, but one of the tenets of the law is that people should be punished equally under the same conditions, so it would have been unjust to have put him in jail when someone who wasn't as well known would have just had the fine and ban (this is not me supporting drink drivers of any kind, they're all idiots and generally I would prefer them to get much longer bans if not jail if anyone is hurt no matter how minor).

My thoughts exactly drink driving is stupid an inexcusable but the law lays out the punishments that anyone who comes before the court can have imposed and just because you are rich doesn't mean you should be punished disproportionately.

Soldato
If he was so ****** why did his mother get into the car, was she ****** of her box too or is she one of those mothers who think their children can't do no wrong?

Caporegime
If he was so ****** why did his mother get into the car, was she ****** of her box too or is she one of those mothers who think their children can't do no wrong?

He was twice over the limit.

Wouldn't be hard to conceal would it? That's 2 pints of stella.

If you met a mate in the street who had 2 pints, would you immediately know they were "so ******"?

(I abhor drink driving by the way, I won't even have 1 drink if I am driving)

Soldato
What a rubbish way to look at things. Imagine - twins break exactly the same law (lets say drink driving), have exactly the same criminal record, both are unemployed etc etc. One of them happens to win £1m on the lottery the day before, so the lottery winner goes to jail and the other one gets a £400 fine? Yeah. Makes loads of sense that.

Man of Honour
A lot of people seem to think that sentencing is a bit of a whim of magistrates and judges. It's not.

I read that he blew 79ug per 100ml of breath on the evidential machine. Looking at the sentencing guidelines, assuming this was his first offence, that would put him with a band C fine or a low level community order and between 17-22 months ban. A band C fine is between 125-175% of weekly income (not quite unlimited). So, whilst I don't know how much he earns, £86,000 seems to be within that range, although there was probably a discount for early guilty plea.

A custodial sentence was never on the cards with that amount of alcohol unless it was a pattern of behaviour.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom