Any issues with using 10W40 instead of 5W30?

Lots of manufacturers have had specific blends over the years and yes they are normally not directly replaceable off the highstreet shelf. They are great for scaring the average punter into using the manufacturers quoted oil... funny that!

As stated for our relatively temperate climate 0-30 10-40 will be fine, anything in between.

You can get some £2 tat motor oil from Homebase thats got the same rating as some £20 a litre oil, are they the same ? No.
The numbers quoted refer to the ability to lubricate at various temperatures thats all. Different oils have different characteristics, thinner/thicker etc. Some fully synthetics are thin, so great for a newly run in engine, but bung them in a 5 year old 75,000 miler and they will be used up quickly as they will just nto stay where they should due to wear. Thats why you can get oils for older engines as they are designed to be that bit thicker.
Oil tech has moved on massively year after year, its a very different tech to 30-40 years ago, and most decent brand oils will do a very very good job in most modern cars.
Your only issue could be if your in warranty period, if your outside it dont worry.
Most handbooks even say different oil to use if particularly hot or cold temperatures are expected, its simply there to ensure the oil is usable at the temperatures the engine will be dealing with.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;17474618 said:
He only wants to know if its ok in his engine not the secrets of the oil.

He has already stated the difference himself in a previous post (post 64), I can't really add much to that

Caporegime
Lots of manufacturers have had specific blends over the years and yes they are normally not directly replaceable off the highstreet shelf. They are great for scaring the average punter into using the manufacturers quoted oil... funny that!

As stated for our relatively temperate climate 0-30 10-40 will be fine, anything in between.

You can get some £2 tat motor oil from Homebase thats got the same rating as some £20 a litre oil, are they the same ? No.
The numbers quoted refer to the ability to lubricate at various temperatures thats all. Different oils have different characteristics, thinner/thicker etc. Some fully synthetics are thin, so great for a newly run in engine, but bung them in a 5 year old 75,000 miler and they will be used up quickly as they will just nto stay where they should due to wear. Thats why you can get oils for older engines as they are designed to be that bit thicker.
Oil tech has moved on massively year after year, its a very different tech to 30-40 years ago, and most decent brand oils will do a very very good job in most modern cars.
Your only issue could be if your in warranty period, if your outside it dont worry.
Most handbooks even say different oil to use if particularly hot or cold temperatures are expected, its simply there to ensure the oil is usable at the temperatures the engine will be dealing with.

Kwik Fit filled it with Mobil 1 ESP

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-6362-mobil-1-esp-5w-30-fully-synthetic-motor-oil.aspx

Thats A5/B5 but 5W30 and not castrol. I'm no longer in warranty so might stick with that £38 for 5 litres from camskill or £33 from ebay from a seller i cant check due to being at work.

Permabanned
He has already stated the difference himself in a previous post (post 64), I can't really add much to that

You can't comment on whether there will be a 'real life' difference for MrLOL between those oils? Blimey, the one subject you actually used to positively contribute to rather than trolling/arguing with everyone is now off limits? :D

Caporegime
You can't comment on whether there will be a 'real life' difference for MrLOL between those oils? Blimey, the one subject you actually used to positively contribute to rather than trolling/arguing with everyone is now off limits? :D

Hmm harsh, trolling?

There is a difference, a difference in spec profile, approvals and viscositys.

I may not seem to add much as its boring wasting time to help random people on the internet who are generally ungrateful :) I contributed the other day and got about 3 replies to my thread.

Soldato

How would you quantify that?

His camshafts wear out at 450k miles and not 500k? Rings blow at first startup?

Harsh closing line aswell.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;17475788 said:
Well we know you shouldnt put 20w70 mineral oil in his Volvo, for example.

He's just asking if he's ok using the other type of Edge

What symptoms would you expect to see if you put such an oil in then? My guess over say 3 years and 12k a year ('real life') car use would be nothing just a bit more fuel consumption.

Firstly you have shifted the question some what as you have moved the change in oil not from a specification deviation but to a totally different viscosity of oil that you cant really get off the shelf?

Its about as good as the Opie Oil testimonials.

'I changes this oil and its great - w00t'

What your engine didnt blow up?
What compounds were visible on chemical composition change when you changed the oil?

Pick somewhere between the two lines up above for the huge envelope of 'real 'life'.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm just using it as an example. It's just a normal question he's asking.

'Is it ok to use Oil X in my car?'

Thats all he wants to know.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;17475859 said:
I'm just using it as an example. It's just a normal question he's asking.

'Is it ok to use Oil X in my car?'

Thats all he wants to know.

This

Volvo say the only oil that suitable is an oil that i can buy from them.

I just want a good alternative :(

I cant find anywhere in the UK that stocks Castrol Edge 0W30 A5/B5 which i suspect is entirely what volvo want.

Opie Oils suggest that 5W30 Mobile ESP A5/B5 is fine, which Kwik Fit say is fine also, and Halfords

Opie Oils also suggest Castrol Edge A3/B4 is fine. They also say Castrol Magnatec 5W30 A1 fully synthetic is fine too.

I just dont know who to believe. No idea what my local backstreet garage will use, they'd probably jsut throw any old stuff which begs the question.

Does any of this matter ?

Answers on a postcard please, as i havent the foggiest.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The Edge A5/B5 is the only formulation from the Edge range that is approved by Volvo via in-house testing for extended drain (20k miles)

However for a car on normal service periods the A3/B4 will be fine, it will be slightly thicker so emissions would be higher.

Caporegime
What real world difference is there between 5W30 and 0W30

Is the only difference at very cold temperatures ?

Base oil viscosity will be significantly higher on the 5W which, depending on the VM used, can affect engine protection even at higher temperatures.

Volvo have a 0W-30 A5/B5 from the Ford days where fuel economy was Key.

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom