any news from macworld conference??

Permabanned
It's a rather tenuous link to this forum. The Dreamcast games console runs Windows but it is still better suited to the console forum rather than the Windows forum, no? ;)

Man of Honour
The thread is about the Macworld Expo and in particular the keynote speech. One of the main elements of that speech was the iPhone, that is just the way it is. Out of interest there are threads in General Hardware and in Mobile Phones, although, like normal, they are talking rubbish! :p

Permabanned
AJUK said:
Out of interest there are threads in General Hardware and in Mobile Phones, although, like normal, they are talking rubbish! :p
Hmm most people in those threads seem to like the thing. Or is that what you mean by talking rubbish ;) Meh I don't buy into the hype and I'd rather stab myself in the groin with a rusty knife than spend hundreds of pounds on a glorified mobile phone.

Man of Honour
dirtydog said:
Meh I don't buy into the hype and I'd rather stab myself in the groin with a rusty knife than spend hundreds of pounds on a glorified mobile phone.
I agree, I have little interest in such matters, I was more interested in an announcement for Leopard, which wasn't made. :(

Permabanned
Is Leopard still coming out in the Spring? That's just a few months away so I am stunned that no mention was made of it in the keynote address. Amazed. And not a little disappointed.

While I prefer Windows to the Mac OSes, the geek in me is still excited about any major new OS release and I wanted to hear about its new features.

Caporegime
dirtydog said:
Hmm most people in those threads seem to like the thing. Or is that what you mean by talking rubbish ;) Meh I don't buy into the hype and I'd rather stab myself in the groin with a rusty knife than spend hundreds of pounds on a glorified mobile phone.

Well I've read that the iPhone won't be available in the UK till october, and I took out my 18 month contract on my phone in August, so I'm hoping that when I'm due for an upgrade I'll be able to get an iPhone, if not I'll most likely shell out for one.

Permabanned
I think consumer tat like the iphone is why so many people have no savings and/or credit card debts these days. They see something shiny and new and suddenly 'need' to have it... oh well. Probably going off at a bit of an SC-style tangent there but sue me ;)

Caporegime
dirtydog said:
I think consumer tat like the iphone is why so many people have no savings and/or credit card debts these days. They see something shiny and new and suddenly 'need' to have it... oh well. Probably going off at a bit of an SC-style tangent there but sue me ;)

Why is it consumer tat?

The general public have been begging for one for ages and they have delivered it.

To me it's not a glorified phone, its more of a shiny kickass PDA with all the added extras of things like a mp3 player etc.

Permabanned
Phate said:
Why is it consumer tat?

The general public have been begging for one for ages and they have delivered it.

To me it's not a glorified phone, its more of a shiny kickass PDA with all the added extras of things like a mp3 player etc.
Why do you need a PDA? :confused:

Caporegime
dirtydog said:
Why do you need a PDA? :confused:

I personally don't need a PDA....yet.

But for everyone that does and uses them but wants an Apple product instead of the usual ones, then this is the answer.

Me...I always carry around, phone, mp3 player.

Thats both of those in one with lots of extra features which will be useful to me in day to day circumstances.

Permabanned
Ol!ver said:
I think if we all bought only what we needed we'd be rather bored. I don't NEED a PS3, but I rather fancy one ;)
Quite, but I didn't realise a PDA was a leisure activity :p I realise some people will make good use of a PDA, but I doubt most people who will buy the iPhone fall into that category. It's a gimmick - much like the idea of sitting down and watching a movie on a 3.5" screen :rolleyes:

Caporegime
dirtydog said:
It's a gimmick - much like the idea of sitting down and watching a movie on a 3.5" screen :rolleyes:

I'll watch tv shows etc when I'm on the train backwards and forwards to work, its 25 mins providing its not delayed.

That's an episode of something. So i'll use it :)

And when I go and see my friends in leiscter - thats a 3 and a half hour train ride.

Thats a movie.

So it's a good feature imo.

Soldato
dirtydog said:
Quite, but I didn't realise a PDA was a leisure activity :p I realise some people will make good use of a PDA, but I doubt most people who will buy the iPhone fall into that category. It's a gimmick - much like the idea of sitting down and watching a movie on a 3.5" screen :rolleyes:

Some people like playing with new tech, to them that's some form of leisure activity. I had a PDA a bit back, no use for one whatsoever, but they were new and I wanted a play. Had it a few weeks then moved it on and bought something else.

Permabanned
Ol!ver said:
Some people like playing with new tech, to them that's some form of leisure activity. I had a PDA a bit back, no use for one whatsoever, but they were new and I wanted a play. Had it a few weeks then moved it on and bought something else.
I think you make my point for me very well :)

Permabanned
My point is that some people buy things for the sake of it, often leaving them with no savings or even in debt - I see it as an addiction no different to drink or drugs :)

Back
Top Bottom