• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

The advent of VRR monitors has saved me a fortune. As a pure single player only I can tolerate ~40 FPS minimums as my Freesync Premium 4K montor can do LFC. If it wasn't for this I would find even a 4080/7900 XTX unplayable at 4K and a 4090 would be borderline.
Yes if you are happy with low(er) frame rates and settings there is a lot of choice. The average buyer seems to have below average hardware and no need to upgrade anything with all this upscaling etc if they aren't too fussy.

Just for perspective the 3080 sold took getting on for 10000 pre-orders in one day. OCUK swore never to do this again as it took them 19 (nineteen) months to clear the backlog of orders. They even had to refund a large number of them.

FTFY

Do you remember the massive "where the hell is my 3080 threads"? So in essence that means over ~570ish days and assuming ZERO refunds, they sold and delivered approximately 17 (seventeen) 3080s per day ;)

Last edited:
And most of those went to scalpers and miners. Nvidias own site was instantly sold out inside of a second. So hardly comparable considering the circumstances back then.

tenor.gif

Why isn't a 7800XT or 7900XT a good buy considering quite a few are buying them here?

For perspective the 7800 XT is at least priced like a 6700 XT it nominally and technically (if not in name) replaces.

6700 XT was $480 MSRP, 7800 XT is $500 MSRP and the 7800 XT is about 45% - 50% faster. So it is a reasonable improvement when taken in that perspective. The problem for AMD is they very stupidly gave it the wrong name, so people compare to the 6800 XT and think "meh". They quite literally painted themselves into a corner... again.

For perspective the 7800 XT is at least priced like a 6700 XT it nominally and technically (if not in name) replaces.

6700 XT was $480 MSRP, 7800 XT is $500 MSRP and the 7800 XT is about 45% - 50% faster. So it is a reasonable improvement when taken in that perspective. The problem for AMD is they very stupidly gave it the wrong name, so people compare to the 6800 XT and think "meh". They quite literally painted themselves into a corner... again.

TBF at this point it's pretty clear that the only target AMD aims at is their own feet.

TBF at this point it's pretty clear that the only target AMD aims at is their own feet.

At least this time the bullet with the words "how much?" engraved on it, missed. So the reviews are actually very decent because most of the tech press are savvy enough to know, that based on price, this is really the 6700 XT replacement. Unfortunately there are some people in this thread that don't look past the name.

The 7800 XT (naming aside) and 4070 are the best cards from their respective sides this gen, in my opinion.

I know people are saying the same level of performance 3 years later is poor, but 6800 XT performance for 6700XT money is decent value and what's historically been expected from a generational leap in order to be considered a good buy. The 4070 is around the performance of the 3080 for £80 less so not quite as good when compared to the 3070's MSRP but I think it's the least horrible value proposition in Nvidia's lineup.

If you own a 6800 XT or 3080 and up there is nothing that I would consider good value and worth the upgrade except maybe the 7900 XT when that hit £699.

This only applies if you're value conscious. If you're not, buy a 4090 and be happy.

AMD have specifically said on numerous occasion now that they are gaming focussed. They have also stated that they are not going in gung ho. What I mean is, they could have probably released a card on this tech that competed with the 4090 on raster. They chose not to, and they chose to make chiplets to make the cards cheaper to produce. Which is fine. No one "needs" all of that stuff for gaming. GCN and Vega and so on were all tank core cards that were crap for gaming. So basically? they have done what Nvidia did when they went from Fermi to Kepler. This is good. Remember, Nvidia sold us cards they were going to use for AI and so on but came up with RT and told us it was for gaming. Yet, even they, this round, in gaming cards, held back a big chunk. Anything below the 4080 is so cut back that they are basically over priced junk. Like I pointed out before, Nvidia now have their avenue away from gaming. It has taken them over 20 years to finally find another use for GPUs.

Going forward? there are a lot of rumours that next round you won't even see a high end XTX card or a XT card sat directly below it. In fact, I have heard that they are going to be only around 50% of what is possible in order to make gaming cards, and make them more affordable. £1700 GPUs ! said no one ever. It is ridiculous, and it always was.

That may go a long way to explain why the 7800XT is the 7800XT and they did not release a 7800 and a 7800XT. If they had named this a 7700XT or a 7800 at the same price? people could not be able to complain about the naming. TBH? the naming is pointless. The card costs £479 with Starfield. So like you said, even if this card was a 7700XT at the same performance? it would still be a good card. I guess people demand they name them lower, because they expect them to sell them even cheaper huh? How come no one is moaning about the 4090 naming? for years and years they did not even use 90. That only started on Ampere. Why is no one here saying the 4090 should be the 4080 and so on?

OK so there was one other thing I wanted to point out. Not relevant to the above, but for now very sound advice.

DO NOT buy a 6800XT in place of a 7800XT. Completely ignore what Gamers Nexus are saying. I have not even seen a 6800XT at the same price, but even if it were? I would not buy that in place of this. I *think* I said this in another thread, but as Linus noticed and pointed out there is an area of the 7800XT (and I think 7700XT die though I would need to check) that are for acceleration. That the 6800 cards do not have, nor the 6950XT. This next bit? is my opinion for now, as no one knows. This part of the core could well be for the upcoming version of AMD's frame gen, AND, it may mean the 7800XT craps on the 6800XT in that feature. As such? I would either wait to see (though I suspect by the time they finally release it it will be too late as the 6800XT and 6950XT will all be sold, they must be coming close as they have released these) or, buy the 7800XT.

AMD have stated that their frame gen will run on all cards, and people have deduced it will go back to the 5700 and stop there. Mostly because Polaris drivers are being stopped, and that means the CCC will not have the feature. However, what we don't know is if it will be much worse on older cards. If these accelerator units are for it? then it will be, and it could be a case of when Nvidia let you run RT on a 1080ti (the Star Wars demo) just to show you how crap it is without the tensor cores.

So for now? beware. And certainly don't listen to hairy jesus, as you could well shoot yourself in the foot by doing so.

It's shocking to have a card (7800XT) get beaten by the card it's meant to be replacing (6800XT) in ANY benchmark, I'll probably look for a used 6800XT/6900XT at this rate. Unacceptable :mad: MY Vega 64 needs an upgrade

Last edited:
It's shocking to have a card (7800XT) get beaten by the card it's meant to be replacing (6800XT) is ANY benchmark, I'll probably look for a used 6800XT/6900XT at this rate. Unacceptable :mad: MY Vega 64 needs an upgrade

I wouldn't let the name fool you. It's not replacing the 6800xt it's replacing the 6700xt. It's not the high end chip in there and it's not high end pricing either at least in this day and age. The card that replaced the 6800xt is the 7900xt and both used the biggest chip. The 7800xt uses AMD's mid end chip.

Navi 21 had 6900xt, 6800xt and 6800

Navi 31 has 7900xtx, 7900xt and 7900Gre

Navi 22 had 6700xt and 6700

Navi 32 has 7800xt and 7700xt

Last edited:
It's shocking to have a card (7800XT) get beaten by the card it's meant to be replacing (6800XT) is ANY benchmark, I'll probably look for a used 6800XT/6900XT at this rate. Unacceptable :mad: MY Vega 64 needs an upgrade

As others mentioned this is the 6700 XT replacement at a similar launch MSRP but with 6800 XT performance. It has always been possible to get EOL last gen GPUs at knock down clearance prices, so the 6800 XT looks and is great value if you can get one. Though the 7800 XT is still cheaper than the cheapest EOL 6800 XT deals I have seen on OCUK. I would not pick a 6800 XT over a 7800 XT because it is current gen and more power efficient.

Think of it like a new model of iPhone looks poor value against last years model, but people want the new shiny.

Last edited:
AMD have specifically said on numerous occasion now that they are gaming focussed. They have also stated that they are not going in gung ho. What I mean is, they could have probably released a card on this tech that competed with the 4090 on raster. They chose not to, and they chose to make chiplets to make the cards cheaper to produce. Which is fine. No one "needs" all of that stuff for gaming. GCN and Vega and so on were all tank core cards that were crap for gaming. So basically? they have done what Nvidia did when they went from Fermi to Kepler. This is good. Remember, Nvidia sold us cards they were going to use for AI and so on but came up with RT and told us it was for gaming. Yet, even they, this round, in gaming cards, held back a big chunk. Anything below the 4080 is so cut back that they are basically over priced junk. Like I pointed out before, Nvidia now have their avenue away from gaming. It has taken them over 20 years to finally find another use for GPUs.

Going forward? there are a lot of rumours that next round you won't even see a high end XTX card or a XT card sat directly below it. In fact, I have heard that they are going to be only around 50% of what is possible in order to make gaming cards, and make them more affordable. £1700 GPUs ! said no one ever. It is ridiculous, and it always was.

That may go a long way to explain why the 7800XT is the 7800XT and they did not release a 7800 and a 7800XT. If they had named this a 7700XT or a 7800 at the same price? people could not be able to complain about the naming. TBH? the naming is pointless. The card costs £479 with Starfield. So like you said, even if this card was a 7700XT at the same performance? it would still be a good card. I guess people demand they name them lower, because they expect them to sell them even cheaper huh? How come no one is moaning about the 4090 naming? for years and years they did not even use 90. That only started on Ampere. Why is no one here saying the 4090 should be the 4080 and so on?

OK so there was one other thing I wanted to point out. Not relevant to the above, but for now very sound advice.

DO NOT buy a 6800XT in place of a 7800XT. Completely ignore what Gamers Nexus are saying. I have not even seen a 6800XT at the same price, but even if it were? I would not buy that in place of this. I *think* I said this in another thread, but as Linus noticed and pointed out there is an area of the 7800XT (and I think 7700XT die though I would need to check) that are for acceleration. That the 6800 cards do not have, nor the 6950XT. This next bit? is my opinion for now, as no one knows. This part of the core could well be for the upcoming version of AMD's frame gen, AND, it may mean the 7800XT craps on the 6800XT in that feature. As such? I would either wait to see (though I suspect by the time they finally release it it will be too late as the 6800XT and 6950XT will all be sold, they must be coming close as they have released these) or, buy the 7800XT.

AMD have stated that their frame gen will run on all cards, and people have deduced it will go back to the 5700 and stop there. Mostly because Polaris drivers are being stopped, and that means the CCC will not have the feature. However, what we don't know is if it will be much worse on older cards. If these accelerator units are for it? then it will be, and it could be a case of when Nvidia let you run RT on a 1080ti (the Star Wars demo) just to show you how crap it is without the tensor cores.

So for now? beware. And certainly don't listen to hairy jesus, as you could well shoot yourself in the foot by doing so.

Yep, I'm going and bet on some fine wine for the 7800XT, see what happens, it might look quite a bit better come Black Friday, I don't think anyone who bought a 6800XT or 6900 or 6950XT prior to launch made a mistake either far from it, but to me, the card is here now though and i'm not spending roughly the same amount on old tech. It makes no sense at this point.

They didn’t give it the wrong name because they were stupid, it was a move that was pure greed in wanting to charge $900 and continue to rip off gamers who they had been ripping off for the past two years.

Both "camps" have acted like scumbags this time around. I'd love to know how late in the game that some of these cards got their actual designation, NVidia and AMD both shuffling naming conventions around to try and justify a price tag. But me for me the pièce de résistance was the 2 4080's. That was just comical and nobody was fooled for a moment. I just have to wonder how many lines of coke was being done at NVidia before they wheeled that out and thought people would be stupid enough to go 'fair enough' and let it slide.

Mystic meg coulda foretold the backlash to that, but apparently not a multi billion dollar company with a highly paid marketing team.

Really this gen has been a flop, too many shenanigans involved from greedy ********.

Last edited:
It has always been possible to get EOL last gen GPUs at knock down clearance prices

Usually the high end GPU drops in price at the launch of the replacement, typically in line with the performance / £ of the new card.

Unusual this time, AMD has so much stock, they dropped the price on the old cards up front to sell them through (against Nvidia's cards) and have now launched the new cards.

That makes it look worse but it's what always happens.... old card drops to new card pricing....though usually a tier less, just a little reversed this time.

Naming.... well Nvidia hardly innocent on this one so not worth the drama... simple really..... how much performance do I get for my £

Back
Top Bottom