• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

They didn’t give it the wrong name because they were stupid, it was a move that was pure greed in wanting to charge $900 and continue to rip off gamers who they had been ripping off for the past two years.

I am sure you will agree that being stupid does not preclude being greedy, and of course vice versa. So in this instance nine months ago they got greedy with the 7900 XT and that was a stupid move because it painted them into a corner with subsequent releases. As we can now see with the poorly named 7800 XT.

Can I ask you to clarify your earlier statement that the 4090 has better price/perf than the 7900 XT at current prices?

Last edited:
[..]
I know people are saying the same level of performance 3 years later is poor, but 6800 XT performance for 6700XT money is decent value [..]

I bought a new 6700XT for £300 a couple of weeks ago. Where can I get a 7800XT for £300?

MSRP in the past is only relevant if you're taking a 7800XT backwards in time to then.

Can I ask you to clarify your earlier statement that the 4090 has better price/perf than the 7900 XT at current prices?
I already explained how it was calculated by dividing the performance uplift over a 3080 against the price giving a cost for each percentage of performance gained. The performance numbers were taken from TPU while the pricing used was lowest uk current pricing.

I already explained how it was calculated by dividing the performance uplift over a 3080 against the price giving a cost for each percentage of performance gained. The performance numbers were taken from TPU while the pricing used was lowest uk current pricing.
Still seems a weird way of justifying a £1500 blow out (in the middle of the worst cost of living crisis ever) on a piece of soon to be obsolete tech with only DP 1.4 and melting connector.:D

The smart person buys a 2nd tier card and upgrades more frequently to get the full benefit of new tech advances not the one who lumps £1500 and sits on it for 6 years- I guarantee Direct X13 or whatever would render that said £1500 gpu obsolete and void.

Please let me know in 4 years time that I did the wrong thing buying a 7900XT/7800XT vs buying a 4090 now for £1500 that I wouldn’t utilise fully.

Last edited:
I know, but I am trying to get my head around your math because it doesn’t make sense to me. Assuming 3080 as a baseline. So we need to calculate the price increase vs the performance increase?

£1500 - £650 = £850 divided by 80% (assuming 4K resolution) = £10.63 for each % increase.

£750 - £650 = £100 divided by 40% = £2.50 per each % increase.

Obviously lower is better.

I know, but I am trying to get my head around your math because it doesn’t make sense to me. Assuming 3080 as a baseline. So we need to calculate the price increase vs the performance increase?

£1500 - £650 = £850 divided by 80% (assuming 4K resolution) = £10.63 for each % increase.

I tried this a few months back and felt he was manipulating the percentage gain to justify his weird point that the 4090 is somehow the best price/performance. I’m hoping one day he sees sense lol.

I bought a new 6700XT for £300 a couple of weeks ago. Where can I get a 7800XT for £300?

MSRP in the past is only relevant if you're taking a 7800XT backwards in time to then.

Current retail pricing is always going to alter the value proposition but I don't think MSRP comparisons are entirely useless. It enables you to see how pricing and price to performance are trending over time.

Current retail pricing is always going to alter the value proposition but I don't think MSRP comparisons are entirely useless. It enables you to see how pricing and price to performance are trending over time.
Problem is, some here stick to original msrp and not current discounted prices and beat either AMD or Nvidia with that stick repeatedly in the hope their point is somehow heard and prices get reduced so that you can buy a 4090 class gpu for £500 or something.

Last edited:

In all my years of PC gaming the metric for new component price/perf has always been release MSRP. This is to show the actual generational improvements. Of course as consumers EOL prices matter but when we judge the actual generational improvement we need to use a common baseline.

Failing to use the same baseline would render such comparisons meaningless.

I tried this a few months back and felt he was manipulating the percentage gain to justify his weird point that the 4090 is somehow the best price/performance. I’m hoping one day he sees sense lol.
IDCP is manipulating the percentages as no review has the 4090 only 80% ahead of a 3080 and no review has a 7900XT 40% ahead.

Not sure why you are subtracting the 3080s msrp costs off, your not getting £650 back, 3080s are going for £350 on MM and that’s only relevant if you intend to sell the card which from my perspective if I did upgrade I’d be keeping the 3080 as a spare.

In all my years of PC gaming the metric for new component price/perf has always been release MSRP. This is to show the actual generational improvements. Of course as consumers EOL prices matter but when we judge the actual generational improvement we need to use a common baseline.

Failing to use the same baseline would render such comparisons meaningless.

Funny thing is people only do this with GPUs

You don't see people in the home theatre sub forum here saying stuff like "oh that 2023 TV is a total failure at $1500 because I paid $750 for my 2022 TV at an end of life sale! The manufacturer is greedy and not offering me any value"

But people love to do that with GPUs, they'll claim that because they paid a discounted price right as the GPU was about to be replaced with a new model, that the new model should launch at the same discounted price they paid otherwise it's a failed product"

Last edited:
@Joxeon. Im using your method and you used TPU data, yet you just threw out their own price/performance charts that show the 4090 consistently scoring poorly. Yet you accuse me of manipulating figures?

You stated that at current prices the 4090 was a better price/perf upgrade over a 3080 than a 7900 XT is. Even using your used 3080 price of £350 and using the latest TPU 7800 XT review which shows the 4090 ahead of a 3080 by 91% at 4K. The 80% I got was from an earlier review. But let’s use 91%.

£1500 - £350 = £1150 divided by 91% = £12.64 per %

It gets a bit trickier for the 7900 XT because the TPU numbers are for the 7900 XT MBA which is a bit slower but let’s call it 33%. Though you do get the Starfield premium code which can be sold in the same members market you are selling your 3080 on. Let’s call it £40. Or if you plan to use it yourself that saves you ~£60.

£750 - £350 - £40 = £360 divided by 33% = £10.90 per %

Now this all obviously ignores that you need to find £1150 to upgrade to a 4090, or £360 to upgrade to a 7900 XT. I get it though because the 4090 is a far more substantial upgrade, but for £1150 it damn well better be. Frankly neither are good and when the 7900 XT was £699 and you could get an extra ~£50 for your 3080 as well as the savings on Starfield premium. Well you were getting a nice upgrade for about £7 per %

Last edited:
6950XT £609.99 with Starfield, its slowly dropping again...oh and a pair of glasses :p

Just make sure you have a beefy PSU. And a good case with good airflow. This is one of the often overlooked limitations of buying EOL top end GPUs.

People with mid budget systems have mid budget PC components and are very unlikely to have 800w - 1000w platinum or even gold rated PSUs. Nor will they be likely using more expensive high airflow PC cases. So you buy a 6950 and then wonder why your PC won’t post or keeps hard rebooting when gaming. Or keeps overheating.

420w gaming power consumption in a 6950 XT, compared to the 7800 XT at 250w. That’s a massive difference for both your PSU needs and for heat dissipation. Ignore those limitations at your peril.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom