• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

I thought that would be the case. quick question I'm ordering a new GPU tomorrow and not sure what to go for, I'm a nightmare making my mind up lol, Either a RTX 4070 for £589 or 6800XT for £539 or 6950XT for £609?? what you think?
If your spending £609 on a 6950XT push yourself another 91 notes and get a 7900XT for better RT AV1 encode and future driver updates and FSR3

So picked up a the quickster from xfx, rendering performance in free version of resolve h.265 vsh.265 is like twice the speed of the 3070ti and a bit almost 3 times in 1440p 60fps rendering and 4k30 fps.
It's definitely the cheapest render muscle to get.

What I found interesting also was av1 and h 265 were on different chips, curious if it's dual encode but without the paid version of resolve no idea.

Was not using 100 %of the chips either, the 3070ti was almost pegged at 100

Last edited:
I thought that would be the case. quick question I'm ordering a new GPU tomorrow and not sure what to go for, I'm a nightmare making my mind up lol, Either a RTX 4070 for £589 or 6800XT for £539 or 6950XT for £609?? what you think?

If you're playing at 4K the 6950 XT has a decent amount of extra grunt over the 6800 XT. If you're playing at 1440p then the extra power will make it relevant for longer. Though be aware it is a 400w+ card so you'll need a decent PSU.

I don't think the 4070 is a horrible buy, but 12GB of VRAM just isn't enough and I'd feel more confident in the longevity of both of the other options.

I'd take the 6950 XT and undervolt it. It's worth the extra £70 over the 6800 XT.

If your spending £609 on a 6950XT push yourself another 91 notes and get a 7900XT for better RT AV1 encode and future driver updates and FSR3

A good buy if you can get one in the 4.3 femtoseconds the price drops to £699 :D it's a much less appealing card at £799.

Thanks for helping guys, Been wanting to try out AMD for some time now the last one I had was the ATI Radeon X1950 XTX way back in the day lol and been with nvidia ever since I'm not interested in Ray tracing only raw performance so might go for the RX 6950XT

I'd love to see the 6800Xt go down to around £450 but that's just wishful thinking lol, what you think the sweet spot price wise the 6800XT should be?

Good question.

I think to make any kind of sense over a 7800 XT or 6950 XT it would need to be under £500.

At under £500 it's a decent chunk of money less than a 6950 XT, lower power consumption, etc. Versus the 7800 XT at similar money it's faster but the trade-off is more power consumption, older hardware so less likely to be supported as long by driver updates, and potentially worse performance with FSR3/RT.

Good question.

I think to make any kind of sense over a 7800 XT or 6950 XT it would need to be under £500.

At under £500 it's a decent chunk of money less than a 6950 XT, lower power consumption, etc. Versus the 7800 XT at similar money it's faster but the trade-off is more power consumption, older hardware so less likely to be supported as long by driver updates, and potentially worse performance with FSR3/RT.

The 6950XT is 20% faster than the 7800XT. It is also 20% more expensive. However, it fills the void between the 7800XT and 7900XT. So it all depends what sort of performance you are after, and whether you want to pay for it. I would argue that 20% faster will last longer, so there is that. But $ to performance the 6950XT is spot on.

Don't worry about the drivers. This is Navi, so the drivers will be around a very long time. They have only just binned Polaris.

Ok I’ve caved and pre-ordered the Sapphire pulse. Was going to wait for the MBA’s which presumably would be at the £480 MSRP but after seeing reviews regarding the noise and cooling performance I thought £20 wasn’t a lot to pay for something a little better.

Hopefully it arrives early next week!

Thanks for helping guys, Been wanting to try out AMD for some time now the last one I had was the ATI Radeon X1950 XTX way back in the day lol and been with nvidia ever since I'm not interested in Ray tracing only raw performance so might go for the RX 6950XT
I can only speak about the 6950XT, it's a great card at the price, runs 1440p easily.

Ok I’ve caved and pre-ordered the Sapphire pulse. Was going to wait for the MBA’s which presumably would be at the £480 MSRP but after seeing reviews regarding the noise and cooling performance I thought £20 wasn’t a lot to pay for something a little better.

Hopefully it arrives early next week!

MBAs do look good though imo but enjoy the Pulse- cracking card worth a bit more for better noise and cooling.

Couldn’t resist showing you mine (I’ve posted this before so sorry for those folks eyes!)

URWCvb8.jpg

Last edited:
MBAs do look good though imo but enjoy the Pulse- cracking card worth a bit more for better noise and cooling.

Couldn’t resist showing you mine (I’ve posted this before so sorry for those folks eyes!)

URWCvb8.jpg

I'm not usually a fan of white or RGB, but there's enough contrast with the black and the edge lit fans are classy enough that this looks really good.

The MBA are my favourite design of just about any card. I just like the simple, understated dark look of them. Even more than the FE cards from Nvidia.

Last edited:
So I might just wait for the prices on these cards to settle down, or wait even longer and see what the 8000 series has to offer. Im guessing when they start rolling out FSR3 we really might see what the card can offer

That is true, I feel like I have been waiting a long time already

Why? The jacket man said it's safe to upgrade :D

My plan is to wait until I can get something around the level of the 7900 XTX for about £700. I paid £600 for my 6900 XT so I want something that's at least 50% faster for about the same sort of money plus a bit extra to factor in the prices of everything going nuts.

My guess is that will look something like a 7950 XT towards the end of its life like we're seeing with the 6950 XT or maybe an 8900 XT. I'd be willing to give Intel a shot providing their GPUs work more reliably in older games next time around. I don't imagine Nvidia will be providing much value if this gen is anything to go by.

Back
Top Bottom