• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Soldato
How are there 2 Navi 31 SKU's above the 7900XTX which is a full Navi 31?

Probably clock speeds. I think there's been some noise about the original Navi 31 stepping having some kind of clock speed power scaling issue. If that's true we might see something akin to e.g. HD 4890 in these.

Not really sure about the 7950 XT (non-XTX) but I'd imagine that would actually fit in somewhere between the 7900 XT and 7900 XTX rather than above it.

Caporegime
Probably clock speeds. I think there's been some noise about the original Navi 31 stepping having some kind of clock speed power scaling issue. If that's true we might see something akin to e.g. HD 4890 in these.

Not really sure about the 7950 XT (non-XTX) but I'd imagine that would actually fit in somewhere between the 7900 XT and 7900 XTX rather than above it.

I've heard about this, that and apparently there is some sort of bug in the hardware where something is put in the driver to get around it but as a result the performance is reduced, this is apparently why the 7900XTX is under performing by about 20% vs what AMD claimed.

That has apparently been fixed with a new stepping of the hardware.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've heard about this, that and apparently there is some sort of bug in the hardware where something is put in the driver to get around it but as a result the performance is reduced, this is apparently why the 7900XTX is under performing by about 20% vs what AMD claimed.

Yeah, and whatever the exact mechanism happens to be if you were getting a 20% bump you'd better believe they will give it a new product name.

Associate

Any leaks on when it'll be released?

What?! Well that would explain the poor gen on gen increase of 7000s over 6000s, but what a tragic deal for current 7900 owners. They get shafted for a hardware bug and lose the 20% they should have had, and can't update via software/drivers. Is this really true?

Soldato

What?! Well that would explain the poor gen on gen increase of 7000s over 6000s, but what a tragic deal for current 7900 owners. They get shafted for a hardware bug and lose the 20% they should have had, and can't update via software/drivers. Is this really true?
No leaks that i have seen about release dates. If it's this year though i would be thinking November time.

Caporegime

Apparently it is, its a flaw in the hardware that was discovered very late, after the announcement.

Associate
Apparently it is, its a flaw in the hardware that was discovered very late, after the announcement.

That's utterly shocking. Not just the ball drop, but the audacity to sell a defective product at these prices knowing they're underforming and there is a fix in the pipeline. That arguably worse than anything Nvidia are doing. I suppose AMD will then price the fixed 7900s (the 7950s) at £1k and £1.5k after the spectacular performance jump? Or suddenly drop the current card prices by 25-50% and shaft the owners.

I really am starting to see why the only card selling is the 4090, even though it's also overpriced.

Unbelievable contempt to customers from both manufacturers.

Associate
That's utterly shocking. Not just the ball drop, but the audacity to sell a defective product at these prices knowing they're underforming and there is a fix in the pipeline. That arguably worse than anything Nvidia are doing. I suppose AMD will then price the fixed 7900s (the 7950s) at £1k and £1.5k after the spectacular performance jump? Or suddenly drop the current card prices by 25-50% and shaft the owners.

I really am starting to see why the only card selling is the 4090, even though it's also overpriced.

Unbelievable contempt to customers from both manufacturers.

Not really, they havnt misled consumers merely moved where the 7900xtx sat in terms of performance, rather than making it a competitor for the 4090 they moved it down a tier and priced it accordingly.

Therefore no one bought a card thinking it was something it wasn't.

Associate
Not really, they havnt misled consumers merely moved where the 7900xtx sat in terms of performance, rather than making it a competitor for the 4090 they moved it down a tier and priced it accordingly.

Therefore no one bought a card thinking it was something it wasn't.

So if it hit it's original performance target you think it would have been ~£1500?

Associate
True. Just attempted to speculate on what a 7950XTX might cost. 1.5k to rival the 4090 or replace the 7900XTX and circa 1k.

I don't think they would price it that high but probably would have been around £1200 I reckon with aib partner cards like a strix version being £1500

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom