• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Man of Honour

AMD Navi 32-based Radeon RX 7800/7700 series reportedly targeting September launch​

That Hybrid sounds interesting.

The same rumour source that the page you link to uses also stated that the 70CU Navi 32/31 hybrid you refer to will not be launched at the same time, won't be launched any time soon and might never be launched at all. It seems that AMD wants so much for it that no card manufacturer wants anything to do with it. Apparently it's been wholly ready for retail for at several months, hardware and software all done. Allegedly some potential AIBs have had fully functional, fully supported, completely retail-ready cards from AMD for a couple of months now. Not interested.

I think it would sound interesting if it was available to buy and if it was priced reasonably for its performance. Which I am sure will not happen. If it's launched at all, I think it will be a mostly paper launch with no publicity and a handful of cards at a price that will make them interesting only to collectors of rare graphics cards.

Caporegime
The same rumour source that the page you link to uses also stated that the 70CU Navi 32/31 hybrid you refer to will not be launched at the same time, won't be launched any time soon and might never be launched at all. It seems that AMD wants so much for it that no card manufacturer wants anything to do with it. Apparently it's been wholly ready for retail for at several months, hardware and software all done. Allegedly some potential AIBs have had fully functional, fully supported, completely retail-ready cards from AMD for a couple of months now. Not interested.

I think it would sound interesting if it was available to buy and if it was priced reasonably for its performance. Which I am sure will not happen. If it's launched at all, I think it will be a mostly paper launch with no publicity and a handful of cards at a price that will make them interesting only to collectors of rare graphics cards.
It seems that AMD wants so much for it that no card manufacturer wants anything to do with it. Apparently it's been wholly ready for retail for at several months, hardware and software all done. Allegedly some potential AIBs have had fully functional, fully supported, completely retail-ready cards from AMD for a couple of months now. Not interested.

I can see that being true, but citation needed.

Man of Honour
I can see that being true, but citation needed.

The same rumour source that MyBrainz referred to when they said it (the 70CU Navi 32/21 hybrid card) looked interesting, which was the post I was replying to. They referenced videocardz, but the actual source (credited by videocardz in the article) was MLID. That was one of the rumour and speculation videos I watched yesterday (or the day before, I forget).

So no citation, really, unless you count a second-hand (or third-hand, if you look at the videocardz article) retelling from alleged sources who allegedly work for the relevant companies. Which is why I've been using the word "alleged" a lot. It's all second-hand hearsay mixed with speculation. But, like you, I can see it being true. RDNA3 has been finished for a while now and the market for it at current pricing is very limited. I can certainly see AIBs saying "not interested" to it at current pricing, considering the very low volume of sales (and probably not very large margins for the AIBs) not worth the manufacturing. Going by current market practices, AMD would probably call it a 7900 and charge top tier pricing for it. It would be the third model down. 7900XTX, 7900XT...and the third model down is 7900. Which is top tier, right? It's a 7900!

But it is second-hand rumours from undisclosed alleged sources. I know that the second-hand market for graphics cards currently runs at 90+% of brand new when it comes to pricing, but I don't think that applies to rumours :)

Soldato
If the 4060 and 7600 are anything to go by, then nope.

Bit the bullet and ordered a RX 6700XT from OcUK - with the Starfield voucher as a sweetener. Should be a good upgrade from the Vega 56 for £205~ (after selling the old GPU and the cost of the game), and a nice match to my Ryzen 3600 and 32GB DDR4.

Made more sense than buying a used one for £290~ and then buying the game anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
Bit the bullet and ordered a RX 6700XT from OcUK - with the Starfield voucher as a sweetener. Should be a good upgrade from the Vega 56 for £205~ (after selling the old GPU and the cost of the game), and a nice match to my Ryzen 3600 and 32GB DDR4.

Made more sense than buying a used one for £290~ and then buying the game anyway.

Enjoy!

Man of Honour
I'm in a similar position, just with a 5700X CPU and a 1070Ti graphics card. Not greatly different.

I've looked at 6700XT/6750XT a number of times. Then I look at 6800. Then 6950XT. Then I grub about for any smidgeons of information and rumours about the missing midrange 7000 series graphics cards, whatever they'll be called. Maybe the same raster as a 6800XT but quite a bit better ray tracing. But how much will they be sold for? That's the key question. Along with what their performance will actually be, but that has better information behind it. Then I look at the second hand market to see if prices are lower than new by enough to offset the lack of warranty and the existing use (the answer is always no and has been for ages now).

And I carry on not deciding. I've been not deciding for at least a year now.

Soldato
I'm in a similar position, just with a 5700X CPU and a 1070Ti graphics card. Not greatly different.

I've looked at 6700XT/6750XT a number of times. Then I look at 6800. Then 6950XT. Then I grub about for any smidgeons of information and rumours about the missing midrange 7000 series graphics cards, whatever they'll be called. Maybe the same raster as a 6800XT but quite a bit better ray tracing. But how much will they be sold for? That's the key question. Along with what their performance will actually be, but that has better information behind it. Then I look at the second hand market to see if prices are lower than new by enough to offset the lack of warranty and the existing use (the answer is always no and has been for ages now).

story of my life :p

Klo

Klo

Soldato

Second hand prices are annoyingly high. For example people are buying 6700xts for between 250 and 300, which really isn't that much less than a 6700xt brand new. I'd thought it would be closer to £200 by now.

Last edited:
Reactions: G J
Man of Honour

AMD Navi 32 Desktop GPUs Set for September Release​

Same source as before - MLID. It's being regurgitated by various sites, but it's the same single source. The headline on the guru3d article is misleading. Nothing is set. The original source (MLID) was honest about that. It's a rumour. Even if MLID's alleged source allegedly in AMD is legit and is in a position to know AMD's plans, the alleged quote from the alleged source was very clear about nothing being set, explicitly stating that plans had already changed several times this year and could change again.

Soldato

I ended up compiling a spreadsheet of benchmarking data for all the cards and then weighted it by their current used prices which led me to the 6700XT/6750XT and 3070 being the best value currently, especially for 1440p performance. HU came to the same conclusion recently.

Then I saw the Starfield offer on a new card, which I was planning to buy anyway, so it was a non-brainer. I did end up paying a bit extra for the Sapphire over Powercolour, but my current card is a Pulse model and I've had no issues at all with it, and happy to get 3 years warranty instead of 2 for an extra £30.

And yes, OcUK did swap the order for me this morning. :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
I ended up compiling a spreadsheet of benchmarking data for all the cards and then weighted it by their current used prices which led me to the 6700XT/6750XT and 3070 being the best value currently, especially for 1440p performance. HU came to the same conclusion recently.

Then I saw the Starfield offer on a new card, which I was planning to buy anyway, so it was a non-brainer. I did end up paying a bit extra for the Sapphire over Powercolour, but my current card is a Pulse model and I've had no issues at all with it, and happy to get 3 years warranty instead of 2 for an extra £30.

And yes, OcUK did swap the order for me this morning. :cool:

Good to hear. Congrats.

Soldato
7700xt timespy scores 15.5k points
7800xt timespy scores 18.9k points

6800xt in timespy scores 17.3k points
6700xt scores 11.7k points

So 7700xt is about 30% faster than 6700xt and 7800xt is 10% faster than 6800xt

If you are also interested in the 6750xt, this gpu scores 13.9k in Timespy, so the 7700xt is 11% faster than the 6750xt

And if you wish to compare to the 7900xtx, then the 7800xt has 65% of the performance than the 7900xtx has and the 7700xt has 52% of the performance from the 7900xtx. So the 7900 series of GPUs are significantly faster than the 7800/7700 series

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom