• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Caporegime
That's utterly shocking. Not just the ball drop, but the audacity to sell a defective product at these prices knowing they're underforming and there is a fix in the pipeline. That arguably worse than anything Nvidia are doing. I suppose AMD will then price the fixed 7900s (the 7950s) at £1k and £1.5k after the spectacular performance jump? Or suddenly drop the current card prices by 25-50% and shaft the owners.

I really am starting to see why the only card selling is the 4090, even though it's also overpriced.

Unbelievable contempt to customers from both manufacturers.

Every piece of silicon hardware is defective in some way, there is no such thing that is perfect and drivers are always used to get around those defects, sometimes those defects are very intermittent and only found after long extensive testing, the software fix can reduce performance, normally if found earlier they would simply re-step the architecture.

Look at the ARC cards, Intel being very inexperienced have spent what is it now? 2 years? fixing that #### and its still not fixed, Nvidia Fermi needed a stepping before that became an ok architecture, RDNA 3 at least is better than OK, it just needs another stepping to get good, its the worlds first MCM GPU, i think AMD did pretty well making something others can only dream of (Including Intel, remember that ARC was meant to be MCM) work and working pretty well.

Edit: Also, its 20% cheaper than the arguably worse 4080.

Last edited:
Associate
Every piece of silicon hardware is defective in some way, there is no such thing that is perfect and drivers are always used to get around those defects, sometimes those defects are very intermittent and only found after long extensive testing, the software fix can reduce performance, normally if found earlier they would simply re-step the architecture.

Look at the ARC cards, Intel being very inexperienced have spent what is it now? 2 years? fixing that #### and its still not fixed, Nvidia Fermi needed a stepping before that became an ok architecture, RDNA 3 at least is better than OK, it just needs another stepping to get good, its the worlds first MCM GPU, i think AMD did pretty well making something others can only dream of (Including Intel, remember that ARC was meant to be MCM) work and working pretty well.

Granted. But it sounds like this is a consistent issue caused by a systematic design or manufacturing flaw. Not just a few dodgy nodes/cores which are normal and expected.

Caporegime
I was just thinking about how the 7900XTX might compare to the 7600

The RX 7600 is in configuration identical to the 6600XT, aside from about 70Mhz on the clock, that's about 2%.
Its 10% faster.

I thought if the 7900XTX vs the 6900XT falls short of that it might have something to do with the MCM part of it, given that the RX 7600 is monolithic.

So, the RX 6900XT has 5120 shaders at 2250Mhz, the 7900XTX 6144 at 2500Mhz, so a 20% increase in shader count and an 11% increase in Mhz, so 31% total, its 46% faster, a 16 percentage point delta architecture vs architecture, around the same, a little more vs the monolithic version.

Its not that. If anything the MCM version works better.

Also, the RX 7600 was actually launch at around the same time as the 7900XTX, its actually an RX 7600M, a laptop GPU.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
7950XTX
7950XT
7900XTX
7900XT
7900 ?

Too many 7900's.

Maybe AMD are laying the foundation for beating nvidia in the next generation. Not beating them in performance, price or efficiency, of course. Why would they do that? That might increase their market share, which they obviously want to avoid doing. Beating them in disinformation against customers. Every card in the 8000 series is an 8900! 8900 XXTTXXX down to the base 8900 model with a 16-bit memory bus to ensure that it has worse performance than entry level cards from 10 years ago.

Caporegime
Maybe AMD are laying the foundation for beating nvidia in the next generation. Not beating them in performance, price or efficiency, of course. Why would they do that? That might increase their market share, which they obviously want to avoid doing. Beating them in disinformation against customers. Every card in the 8000 series is an 8900! 8900 XXTTXXX down to the base 8900 model with a 16-bit memory bus to ensure that it has worse performance than entry level cards from 10 years ago.
They failed to beat Nvidia by beating them so why not try not trying.....aha.... you see, Nvidia wont see that coming.

Don't give them anymore stupid ideas ffs....

Man of Honour
They failed to beat Nvidia by beating them so why not try not trying.....aha.... you see, Nvidia wont see that coming.

The failed to beat nvidia by having better products, but they did reach a much larger market share than they have now.

Don't give them anymore stupid ideas ffs....

You're right. I should sell stupid ideas to AMD, not give them away! :)

Caporegime
I'll say it again the 7900XT should have been the 7800XT, or 7800XTX if you like.... at $749 on release, $699 it would have been cracking.

The failed to beat nvidia by having better products, but they did reach a much larger market share than they have now.

You're right. I should sell stupid ideas to AMD, not give them away! :)

This chart is AMD all the way through, actually AMD didn't buy ATI until Q2/06 and the first full AMD GPU, IE not just re-branded ATI cards, was the HD 4870, Q2/08.

As you can see, ATI / AMD have been in perpetual decline vs Nvidia since Q2/04. Nvidia even gained market share with the GTX 480.

agFMYBF.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I'll say it again the 7900XT should have been the 7800XT, or 7800XTX if you like.... at $749 on release, $699 it would have been cracking.

This chart is AMD all the way through, actually AMD didn't buy ATI until Q2/06 and the first full AMD GPU, IE not just re-branded ATI cards, was the HD 4870, Q2/08.

As you can see, ATI / AMD have been in perpetual decline vs Nvidia since Q2/04. Nvidia even gained market share with the GTX 480.

agFMYBF.jpg

Wow. AMD have not only lost the battles but epically the war as well. I never realised market share was that disproportionate.

Soldato
Getting hung up on whether Navi 31 is flawed, faulty, or even cheating consumers, is largely irrelevant.
Whatever their targets were, prices get set just before launch.
No the bigger question is how would AMD's lineup have looked if Navi 31 had been 15-20% faster?
Navi 31 + 15-20% is 4090. Plus a cut down at the 7900 XTX or 4080 level.
Then, Navi 32 at around the 7900 XT level, with a cut down at the 6900 XT level.
Then what? Navi 33 at the 6650 XT level?

That would have left a gap in performance like as if RDNA2 had had nothing between 6650 XT and 6900 XT. That is missing 6700 XT, 6800, 6800 XT, or in terms of prices nothing between £250 and £600.

No idea who decided the RDNA3 strategy but the logical bigger monolithic die between Navi 33 and Navi 32 appears too be totally missing.

Caporegime
Wow. AMD have not only lost the battles but epically the war as well. I never realised market share was that disproportionate.

Yeah, and the thing is Intel said they spent $3.5 Billion over 3 years on GPU development, that's more than $1 Billion per year of R&D on GPU's.

ATI was going bankrupt, with market share like that between 03 and 06, they had marketshare like that because they were under cutting Nvidia on price, heavily, the problem with that is you're not actually making any money, you have to keep raiding your cash stash to keep developing competitive GPU's, in the end Nvidia just held out with much higher prices making lots and lots of money on 50% + market share until ATI was out of money.

There are people here and on Youtube who want AMD to do the same, on a 10% marketshare, AMD know that doesn't work, they bailed ATI out, AMD have to succeed on their own merits, cheaper, sure, but not to the point of bankrupting themselves, its as simple as this, if people don't want AMD cards there is no point in them trying. to be honest.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

I wasn't looking back far enough in time. But it's still the case that AMD had a higher market share in the past, even the quite recent past. They're well along the road to being out of the market entirely now, with market share dropping off a cliff. At this rate it will soon be in nvidia's interest to prop AMD up in order to avoid being too obviously a monopoly.

[..] There are people here and on Youtube who want AMD to do the same, on a 10% marketshare, AMD know that doesn't work, they bailed ATI out, AMD have to succeed on their own merits, cheaper, sure, but not to the point of bankrupting themselves, its as simple as this, if people don't want AMD cards there is no point in them trying. to be honest.

AMD's current strategy (assuming they have one and assuming they want to be in the consumer graphics card market at all) isn't working either.

Klo

Klo

Soldato
If I were AMD I'd be very tempted to just leave the GPU market entirely. They make much more margin on CPUs, and they can actually move them unlike GPUs. I wonder if the console market is the reason they'll hang around, not that much margin but they do move a lot.

Caporegime
I wasn't looking back far enough in time. But it's still the case that AMD had a higher market share in the past, even the quite recent past. They're well along the road to being out of the market entirely now, with market share dropping off a cliff. At this rate it will soon be in nvidia's interest to prop AMD up in order to avoid being too obviously a monopoly.

AMD's current strategy (assuming they have one and assuming they want to be in the consumer graphics card market at all) isn't working either.

You see 02/14? that is where AMD gave up, they spent a fortune developing the Hawi cards and even a brand new low level API (Mantel) because DX11 was old and crap, that API BTW is now Vulkan, AMD gave it away to the khronos group, many, including me would argue it kick-started the development of DX12, which still isn't as good as Vulkan.

So they did a lot, the R9 200 series was a good GPU, they tried and IMO succeed in pushing the industry forward, they also did a lot for graphics effects, such as Screen Space Global Illumination, (Crysis 3, Nexus, Dirt Showdown, Farcry 3) light transparent foliage (Farcry 3) and a lot of other stuff.
It was a time when AMD was optimistic about all things Graphics and GPU's.

It made absolutely no difference to their marketshare, after that AMD gave up with pretty decent but very midrange cards, nothing high end anymore, aside from half-heartedly the odd workstation cards re-branded graphics cards that were no such thing, RDNA 2 was AMD's first true high end GPU's for some years.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'll just leave this here. Q2/14 on that chart.

hQcdYOp.gif

AMD used an expensive PEX8747 48 lane PCI-Express Bridge chip and put the programming effort in to make Crossfire actually work as if its one GPU. That's 100% CF scaling.

The thing was an absolute beast at eating polygons.

57VPDAj.jpg

SQ9wiqu.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato

AMD Navi 32-based Radeon RX 7800/7700 series reportedly targeting September launch​

That Hybrid sounds interesting.

Associate
If I were AMD I'd be very tempted to just leave the GPU market entirely. They make much more margin on CPUs, and they can actually move them unlike GPUs. I wonder if the console market is the reason they'll hang around, not that much margin but they do move a lot.
seems you dont understand amd nor the market.
desktop cpu isnt much margins, server cpus are cash cows.
soon versions of AI subset hardware gonna cost an arm and leg to and a kidney.
gpu isnt just used in gpu diy but console, laptops, mobilephone and so on.

Opinions without knowledge are empty

Back
Top Bottom