• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

In the current market: good.

In the historic market: meh.

;)
Pretty much that. Anyone see a recent JayzTwoCents video about the PC industry being in self destruct? He talks more about Nvidia pricing and personally i find some of the things he says at times can be way off but that particular video, at least the chart they made to show the 12 year price trend, really drives home how much PC gamers are being ripped off.

Last edited:
Pretty much that. Anyone see a recent JayzTwoCents video about the PC industry being in self destruct? He talks more about Nvidia pricing and personally i find some of the things he says at times can be way off but that particular video, at least the chart they made to show the 12 year price trend, really drives home how much PC gamers are being ripped off.

An interesting point he misses when talking about the 70 class pricing increasing from $380 with the 1070 to what it is today with the 4070 is that the 1070 offered 67% the performance of a 1080ti while the 4070 offers just 50% of a 4090, the card which offered 50% of the 1080ti was the 1060 6gb which launched for $300 so prices have effectively doubled in less than 7 years.

Yea like i said personally i find some of the things he says are way off, however with that video i do find myself agreeing with his point about component manufactures only going after the whales and splitting GeForce into a sister company.

Yeah, I love watching these YouTube kids.

If Jay was a bit older, like me, he'd remember: Intel's popular 33 Mhz 486 CPU cost PC makers $1,056 in 1990 in quantities of 1,000.

That's $2,474.70 in today's money!

I remember those painful days - and the ten years that came before them. Think £400+ for a twin set of floppy drives in the early 80's. No wonder I was always broke! :D

Yea and few people could afford the $950 asking price so Intel had to release the 486SX for $300 and when they finally dipped their toe in direct to consumer sales with the DX2/50Mhz and the DX2/33,40Mhz they cost $699 and $549 respectively.

Adjusted for inflation that's $1.5 and $1.2k for top end CPU, an equivalent top end CPU today would be something like the 7950X3D costing $700, roughly half the price. If top end CPUs can be had for almost half the price they were 30+ years ago how come the same isn't true for graphics cards and motherboards.

The $15k Xeon Platinum 8280L told Threadripper to do one. :)

Seriously though i didn't think it was fair to compare desktop parts with HEDT/Server grade stuff, it's not really fair to imply that the 486DX is/was comparable either IMO but i feared we were going slightly OT so didn't want to labour the point. Plus it's not really about what something cost 30+ years ago, it's about price trends and on that front components have, for 30+ odd years, trended down until 3-5 years ago.

It’s worth considering volume, 30+ years ago they did not sell the same volume that they do now. The massive increase in volume reduces the per-unit production cost. They also put more into R&D and wafers cost more but the per-unit cost will still be a lot smaller than it was 30+ years ago.

If Jay was a bit older, like me, he'd remember: Intel's popular 33 Mhz 486 CPU cost PC makers $1,056 in 1990 in quantities of 1,000.

I remember those painful days - and the ten years that came before them. Think £400+ for a twin set of floppy drives in the early 80's. No wonder I was always broke! :D
A 64 KB RAM upgrade in the early eighties cost over £100. I remember this because I got a bollocking from my sponsor for throwing chips with bent pins away when I was on a YTS* chipping up a stack of AST SixPak's. Each card needed 54 chips, adding 384 KB to the 256 KB on the IBM PC's motherboard (for the DOS maximum of 640 KB).

*Yoof Training Scheme

My current PC has 32 GB of RAM, so in 1983 that would've cost £52,428,800.00 (unless my maths are flawed.)

32 GB = 33,554,432 KB / 64 KB * £100

Back then I was on my second computer - an Amiga 500+; took until 1993 before I got my first PC. Was some sort of 486 DX2, but was at a mainstream price by then.

How long does it take for new GPU's to appear as options on OCUK configurable systems?

I was looking at https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...idi-gaming-pc-configurator-sys-oct-00044.html which seems a good base for one and while there are a large range of GPU options, the 7800XT isn't one of them. I do notice that so far its only the 3 Sapphire models listed on here, and all of them are out of stock, only available for pre-order.

How long does it take for new GPU's to appear as options on OCUK configurable systems?

I was looking at https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...idi-gaming-pc-configurator-sys-oct-00044.html which seems a good base for one and while there are a large range of GPU options, the 7800XT isn't one of them. I do notice that so far its only the 3 Sapphire models listed on here, and all of them are out of stock, only available for pre-order.

Either give them a call, or open a pre-sales web ticket - I'm sure they will be able to accommodate any changes you require

So, I have the latest adrenaline installed for the igpu. Can I then just install the 7800 XT and not have to install another one?
I have a 7900xtx on my main PC and when I tested my 7800xt I have to install new driver as the latest driver for 7900xtx does not work with 7800xt.

I think this likely the case for igpu driver too, so better use DDU to clear old driver then install a new 7800xt driver.

Really weak showing from OCUK on the 7800XT, just one brand and 3 cards for pre-order and there's mrore stock and choice and cheaper elsewhere.

I'm surprised I'd thought be all over this card.

Really weak showing from OCUK on the 7800XT, just one brand and 3 cards for pre-order and there's mrore stock and choice and cheaper elsewhere.

I'm surprised I'd thought be all over this card.
They probably have a large stockpile of 4070's to shift first.

Back
Top Bottom