• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Associate
It's so weird, isn't new gen same tier supposed to trounce previous same gen same tier by at least 1 gen.

This basically looks like you could overclock last gen to match lol.

Thats what I was thinking. Marginal uplift over the gen it's replacing. Really not much point. RDNA 3 but me missing that mark on its projected performance from the design stage.

Soldato
It's so weird, isn't new gen same tier supposed to trounce previous same gen same tier by at least 1 gen.

This basically looks like you could overclock last gen to match lol.
Probably but ain't you getting a little more with the 7k series like slightly better RT, slightly better perf per watt and some other stuff that TBH I've not paid much attention to because, for me personally, all those things are a bit meh when what really matters is price/performance and unless we see 20-30% price reductions across the board i struggle to care.

Soldato
Thats what I was thinking. Marginal uplift over the gen it's replacing. Really not much point. RDNA 3 but me missing that mark on its projected performance from the design stage.

Anything before the 7900xtx is pretty lame tbh, it's just not there. They seem to be releasing products for the sake of releasing products.

Probably but ain't you getting a little more with the 7k series like slightly better RT, slightly better perf per watt and some other stuff that TBH I've not paid much attention to because, for me personally, all those things are a bit meh when what really matters is price/performance and unless we see 20-30% price reductions across the board i struggle to care.

Same, i haven't looked into it purely because it all feels mediocre. It's like whatever nvidia does worse, amd seem to do it even worse. They had an open goal a few times this gen when nvidia screwed up but they seem to miss it at every opportunity. Almost like its planned....

Soldato
Yeah but the problem is slightly better. If its only slightly then I get beg the question of why bother unless there is a decent price reduction but I do doubt that.

Soldato
Anything before the 7900xtx is pretty lame tbh, it's just not there. They seem to be releasing products for the sake of releasing products.

Same, i haven't looked into it purely because it all feels mediocre. It's like whatever nvidia does worse, amd seem to do it even worse. They had an open goal a few times this gen when nvidia screwed up but they seem to miss it at every opportunity. Almost like its planned....

7900XT was starting to look reasonable as the prices came now but now its gone up its crap again. Free Starfield bundle they say. Bull****, your paying for it because since they added the bundle depending on which card you choose prices have gone up by £50 to £100 since it was added.

Soldato
7900XT was starting to look reasonable as the prices came now but now its gone up its crap again. Free Starfield bundle they say. Bull****, your paying for it because since they added the bundle depending on which card you choose prices have gone up by £50 to £100 since it was added.

It was getting there I agree, for me still too much but it was going in the right direction, one to keep an eye on maybe.

Now it's gone up again and it's in the "yeah whatever mate, jog on" territory.

Soldato

Yup, was tempted to pick up a 7000 series card for a second rig but the prices have put me off. Price spy confirms this, its lame what they've done... another excuse to reset prices.

Last edited:
Associate
to be fair most people upgrade every 2-3 gens

Soldato
The rx 480/580 were like that
However, 480 to 580 was a total rebrand (590 was a respin of Polaris from GF 14nm to 12nm but since it was clocked to the max any perf/watt increases were never seen, whereas Zen to Zen+ saw a noticeably improvement).

RDNA3 is not a rebrand. It seem they spend a full R&D and release cycle... and got next to nothing for it :(
No such thing as a bad gfx card, just bad pricing...
This gen we have bad pricing at all tiers, when the halo 4090 is the only thing to move perf/price we know something is wrong.
Not when they bought a 3070 which has turned out to be a lemon.

Otherwise yes.
Well, lots of us did point out that only 8GB for a card of that power was crazy. Twice as fast as the 8GB 1070 and three times as fast as the 8GB 480.

Still 3070 Ti buyers had it worse!

Last edited:
Associate
to be fair most people upgrade every 2-3 gens

Yes, but based on generational improvements of around 30-50%, so they get a 100-150% upgrade. If each gen only moves 10-20% you'll have to wait 5 gens to get the same level of improvement.

Not when they bought a 3070 which has turned out to be a lemon.

Otherwise yes.

And Nvidia are still purposely under memory resourcing cards so it happens again...

Back
Top Bottom