• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Soldato
You think the clock speed will be higher than that of a 6800XT by enough for that and the faster memory to make up for a 20% lower CU count?

And 33% more CUs.

So it will beat a 6800. But will it match a 6800XT, which will probably be the closest competitor in price?

It will mostly be competing with the 6800XT. At the same price as a 6800XT it would be a better buy. But the next model up in the range is £800+ and that's not the top model in the range so halo pricing doesn't apply. £500 to £800 is a big jump from 3rd place to 2nd place.

If TPU tech DB is correct I expect the 7800 to slightly beat the 6800 XT for about £550 (which is a crap price but better than Nvidia). The 6800 was ~15% slower than the 6800 XT and the 7800 has the same specs as the 6800 on a newer process and architecture and has a lot faster clock speeds. Clock speed increase is rarely linear so a 7800 about 20% faster than the 6800 is a reasonable expectation. That would put it at just under last gen 6900XT speeds and AMD will try to sell that as a win for consumers.

That would leave a ~20% performance gap and a ~35% price gap between the 7800 and the 7900 XT. This would leave too much room for an Nvidia GPU (the 4070) to sit without competition. So I suspect a 7800 XT variant in the future that would be hitting 6950 XT type performance and about 10% slower than the 7900 XT for about £650 (4070 prices). The 7900 XT will not drop in price and stay around the £750 mark and compete with the 4070 Ti.

Or to put it simply, AMD will be relasing what are competitors to the 4060, 4060Ti and 4070 at slightly lower price points. Similar to the 7900 XT vs 4070 Ti and the 7900 XTX vs the 4080.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
6700 XT at £299 is really pretty impossible to beat value for money wise!

At that price I think I will. If something unexpected happens (e.g. the 7800 undecided_name having a far higher price/performance value than expected) I could always just buy one anyway, see what I can get for a 6700XT at that point and eat the loss.

I wanted something higher spec, but when it's £300 for a 6700XT or £500 for a 6800XT (or £lol_sucker for pretty much anything in the current gen above entry level) the 6700XT appeals. 70% of the performance for 60% of the price. Enough VRAM. It will do. Although I did want higher spec, a 6700XT is still ~60% upgrade over my 1070Ti. Maybe next gen will be a better time for a serious upgrade and a 6700XT would be a good card to tide me over.

So I'll have a cup of tea and think about it. I've made the initial decision to decide to make a decision :) It's looking like this is very end of availability of the 6000 series, so I'd better make a decision soon or the decision won't be there.

Man of Honour
what games do you plan to play and at what resolution

I plan to play whatever games I think will be entertaining at the time, whatever those games might be at whatever point in time in the future. Do some people plan to play specific games and only play those games and buy hardware based on that? I suppose some people do. I suppose it makes sense in some cases.

I'll be playing at 1440 for now. 6700XT is OK for that res. £300 is genuinely cheap for a graphics card, actual entry level pricing. I'd rather have more performance, but would it be worth at least 66% more money, double or triple money if I went further up? I'd be sort of disappointed to buy entry level when I had been expecting to buy mid-high, but it's a lot of card for £300 and it should do well enough for my use.

G J

G J

Associate
I'm tempted by the 6700XT but I'm afraid my 13ish year old PSU wont take the trainsient spikes as the 6700XT hits 343w as per Techpowerup's power consumption tests but as others have said this is the best buy for £300.

My Sapphire Pulse rx6600 looks nice, cools well and has no LED's which is a plus for me as I'm not a fan of them. Esp the hassle sometimes one has to go through to disable the lighting on some cards.

Soldato
I'm tempted by the 6700XT but I'm afraid my 13ish year old PSU wont take the trainsient spikes as the 6700XT hits 343w as per Techpowerup's power consumption tests but as others have said this is the best buy for £300.

My Sapphire Pulse rx6600 looks nice, cools well and has no LED's which is a plus for me as I'm not a fan of them. Esp the hassle sometimes one has to go through to disable the lighting on some cards.

Why are you using a 13 year old PSU? It won't even support some of the low power states of newer CPUs,and the low load effiency must be not very good at all.

There were tons of the deals on reasonable PSUs over the last 18 to 24 months - Corsair TX550M PSUs could be had for under £50. CX550F PSUs for under £40. I even got a spare CX450M for £26.

Last edited:
Associate
I plan to play whatever games I think will be entertaining at the time, whatever those games might be at whatever point in time in the future. Do some people plan to play specific games and only play those games and buy hardware based on that? I suppose some people do. I suppose it makes sense in some cases.

I'll be playing at 1440 for now. 6700XT is OK for that res. £300 is genuinely cheap for a graphics card, actual entry level pricing. I'd rather have more performance, but would it be worth at least 66% more money, double or triple money if I went further up? I'd be sort of disappointed to buy entry level when I had been expecting to buy mid-high, but it's a lot of card for £300 and it should do well enough for my use.
I managed to snag my 7900xt from elsewhere for £670 which is double the performance of the 6700xt but at double the price… so not really a good deal as @Joxeon would say.

Man of Honour
Timing often goes against us!

Quite some time ago I bought a a CPU and memory at Northern Computer fair. A Cyrix CPU and some memory. A lot of memory for the time. 4MB IIRC. When I went back the next month to the next fair those two things were half the price I paid a month earlier. Literally half the price. I still remember that.

I finally made a decision on buying a graphics card and bought the £300 6700XT as a "tide me over" card. Well, pre-ordered it and paid for it. Which mostly counts as buying it. Adequate card, adequate model. It'll do.

I managed to snag my 7900xt from elsewhere for £670 which is double the performance of the 6700xt but at double the price… so not really a good deal as @Joxeon would say.

I'd count that as a reasonably good deal. The further up the stack you go, the more you pay for less of an increase in performance. So double for double looks OK to me. I might have done the same, if I could have bought a 7900XT for £670 rather than £800.

Soldato
Quite some time ago I bought a a CPU and memory at Northern Computer fair. A Cyrix CPU and some memory. A lot of memory for the time. 4MB IIRC. When I went back the next month to the next fair those two things were half the price I paid a month earlier. Literally half the price. I still remember that.

I finally made a decision on buying a graphics card and bought the £300 6700XT as a "tide me over" card. Well, pre-ordered it and paid for it. Which mostly counts as buying it. Adequate card, adequate model. It'll do.

I'd count that as a reasonably good deal. The further up the stack you go, the more you pay for less of an increase in performance. So double for double looks OK to me. I might have done the same, if I could have bought a 7900XT for £670 rather than £800.
That's a great deal for £300, I paid £620 for a 6950XT, twice as much but not twice as fast.

Caporegime
Steve says he doesn't think the RX7700XT will be sub $500:

He thinks it will be as or more expensive than the 4060Ti 16Gb, so that would also make the 7800 more expensive than the 4070.

If he got that wrong can we all agree he's as thick as two short planks?

Back
Top Bottom