• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Soldato
I'm quite happy if we get something close enough or better than the 4070 for less money, i think we will.

RX 7700: 100%, $479.
RTX 4070: 106%, $599.
RX 7800: 118%, $549.

Honestly i think that's right, the 4070 is the only one out of all the 4000 series cards that isn't ludicrously priced, its the most expensive AMD can make those two cards without being basically the same price to performance ratio.
The 4070 should have been a £300-400 card though so it is still ludicrously priced with a mark up of around 50%, If AMD comes in with anything over £450 for a similar card, maybe slightly faster then that's also ludicrous pricing.

Don't forget a £369 3060ti beat a 2080 comfortably and a £300 2060 matched a 1080, so to think nearly £600 is ok for a card that matches/loses to a 3080 is in itself ludicrous.

Caporegime
i) I live in the UK, so the UK prices are relevant to me. Unless I can buy in the USA and import it. $750 plus VAT is £690. Which is a lot less than £800. Shipping wouldn't be much. I'm assuming that it's impossible or at least impractical, or else it would be commonplace.
ii) I was talking about MSRP.

If you live in the UK why are you talking in $?

So the MSRP is NOT $900. Its $750, as i said.

Yes, but $750 is currently £574.64. Add 20% tax and you get ~£690. Not £800. Tax does not come anywhere close to accounting for the difference in price. Even if the cards were shipped to the USA and then shipped to the UK, the extra shipping costs wouldn't account for the difference in price either.

Yes, as i said UK problem.

Last edited:
Soldato
Although we can all agree the 4070 is actually a 4060Ti, there’s no way it’s going to cost £300 when there’s another two (maybe three) models below it.

Soldato
And a free lunch! Stop it, £300 to £400....

Things are overpriced but this willful obtuseness helps no one.
As I pointed out the 4070’s performance falls between what 60/60ti class cards traditionally delivered and those sold for £300-369 the past few generations.

Although we can all agree the 4070 is actually a 4060Ti, there’s no way it’s going to cost £300 when there’s another two (maybe three) models below it.
The 2 models below it are 4050 and 4040 class cards though and these should cost £170-250.

Associate
As I pointed out the 4070’s performance falls between what 60/60ti class cards traditionally delivered and those sold for £300-369 the past few generations.

The 2 models below it are 4050 and 4040 class cards though and these should cost £170-250.
But Jensen sets the pricing not you unfortunately my friend. I do understand your point though we are literally paying for every 1% of performance uplift this gen.

Soldato
But Jensen sets the pricing not you unfortunately my friend. I do understand your point though we are literally paying for every 1% of performance uplift this gen.
Jensen may set the pricing but it’s me and other consumers who will decide whether or not to pay it and judging by the sales so far more people agree with me than Jensen.

Associate
Jensen may set the pricing but it’s me and other consumers who will decide whether or not to pay it and judging by the sales so far more people agree with me than Jensen.
On a small internet forum yes but wider picture is that they are selling for higher margins and lower volumes. Also they have longer (till 2025) to sell these overpriced products if the alleged leaked roadmap is anything to believe.

Last edited:
Soldato
On a small internet forum yes but wider picture is that they are selling for higher margins and lower volumes. Also they have longer (till 2025) to sell these overpriced products if the alleged leaked roadmap is anything to believe.
Sales are terrible and it’s not just based on small forums, OCUK caters to a UK market of 66m people and they sold 3 4060 cards in the week following release which generally sees the largest influx of sales and is traditionally the most popular card for Nvidia.

Soldato
People don't want these expensive low-tier cards now. I don't think they'll claw all those sales they want back by leaving it until 2025, unless the price halves. The sad thing is, the 4060 would have been a decent card, if it was sold as what it really was, and in the correct price bracket.

Man of Honour
If you live in the UK why are you talking in $?

In that post, I was replying to your statement about the price of the card in the USA. So I used the currency of the USA in the context of the price in the USA because prices in the USA are in USA currency. Also because I was replying to you and you'd used US$. Also because I was comparing prices between the USA and the UK, so of course I used both currencies.

So the MSRP is NOT $900. Its $750, as i said.

You don't set the MSRP for it. AMD does. So what does AMD say?

Man of Honour
Sales are terrible and it’s not just based on small forums, OCUK caters to a UK market of 66m people and they sold 3 4060 cards in the week following release which generally sees the largest influx of sales and is traditionally the most popular card for Nvidia.

It's also true in other markets, like the USA. Sales aren't just low compared to the crypto boom. They're low compared to 20 years ago.

It's like calling a Mini a Ferrari, doubling the price and saying it's a bargain for a Ferrari. People aren't falling for it. The analogy fails because the graphics card market is approaching a monopoly. It's one and two small bits. Nvidia controls the market. AMD doesn't care about the market any more and is content to follow behind nvidia accepting leftovers. Intel doesn't have a competitive product yet - their first gen came in too late and undercooked. So some people are buying these badly priced products. But not many.

I agree about the so-called 4060 series (which are blatantly rebadged 4050 cards) sales in particular. The xx60 cards are the true mainstream, the bulk of sales. And they're not selling. Because they're nowhere near worth buying at the price being sold. To go back to the car analogy, it's like nvidia just wrote "ferraRi" in crayon on a Mini and said "It's a Ferrari, only £50K! Bargain!". They're not even trying. The deception is extremely superficial and not many people are falling for it. The phrase "Don't **** down my back and tell me it's raining" comes to my mind. We know it's not rain. Almost everyone knows it's not rain.

Last edited:
Associate

The only Nvidia card I've seen moving at a steady rate is the 4090. So using the 4080 to prop up it's pricing does seem to be working for them. However I have no idea how well it's selling compared to the 2080Ti, 1080 etc.

Associate
I get your point, but the market isn't 66 million people.
"Personal Computer Statistics Overview. Only 24% of households in the UK own a personal computer, with 19% owning a portable computer and 5% owning only a personal computer."
So 24% of households have a PC of some sort, that makes the market about 6.7 million households. (24% of 28m households)

A fair chunk of those are probably non-upgradable macs or dell's, so the market for upgrade components will be vastly smaller.. Probably around a million at most.

Last edited:
Soldato
I get your point, but the market isn't 66 million people.
"Personal Computer Statistics Overview. Only 24% of households in the UK own a personal computer, with 19% owning a portable computer and 5% owning only a personal computer."
So 24% of households have a PC of some sort, that makes the market about 6.7 million households. (24% of 28m households)

A fair chunk of those are probably non-upgradable macs or dell's, so the market for upgrade components will be vastly smaller.. Probably around a million at most.
3 cards in a week following a release is still atrocious especially when you consider the 3080 sold nearly 10000 in one day.

Last edited:
Soldato
The only Nvidia card I've seen moving at a steady rate is the 4090. So using the 4080 to prop up it's pricing does seem to be working for them. However I have no idea how well it's selling compared to the 2080Ti, 1080 etc.
I don’t even think the 4090 will be selling that well right now as people with the money to buy cards like that would have just bought it early on in the cycle rather than waiting nearly a year.

Associate
I don’t even think the 4090 will be selling that well right now as people with the money to buy cards like that would have just bought it early on in the cycle rather than waiting nearly a year.

I only know as I'm keeping an eye on prices and stock levels of any models I'm interested in on OCUK.

Back
Top Bottom