• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Caporegime
6700 XT at £299 is really pretty impossible to beat value for money wise!
Sure is. But probably not enough of an upgrade over the 3060 TI (FE) I managed to buy almost exactly two years ago, for £380. Only realised it was two years ago from checking my emails (how time flies..)

Two years later, and there really is nothing at all to get excited about right now, unless I want to double my budget (I don't :p). Doubtless this is the shape of things to come, tho, as it gets harder to shrink and find efficiency improvements.

Man of Honour
Sure is. But probably not enough of an upgrade over the 3060 TI (FE) I managed to buy almost exactly two years ago, for £380. Only realised it was two years ago from checking my emails (how time flies..)

Two years later, and there really is nothing at all to get excited about right now, unless I want to double my budget (I don't :p). Doubtless this is the shape of things to come, tho, as it gets harder to shrink and find efficiency improvements.

I think that's another reason why GPU manufacturers have little or no interest in the gaming PC market. People won't upgrade often if the upgrades are small or come at a huge increase in price. Which is why the profit in console gaming is in the games and gaming-related services (e.g. online multiplayer) and the hardware is cheap.

Associate
I plan to play whatever games I think will be entertaining at the time, whatever those games might be at whatever point in time in the future. Do some people plan to play specific games and only play those games and buy hardware based on that? I suppose some people do. I suppose it makes sense in some cases.

I'll be playing at 1440 for now. 6700XT is OK for that res. £300 is genuinely cheap for a graphics card, actual entry level pricing. I'd rather have more performance, but would it be worth at least 66% more money, double or triple money if I went further up? I'd be sort of disappointed to buy entry level when I had been expecting to buy mid-high, but it's a lot of card for £300 and it should do well enough for my use.
Some people only play one game for years did 5 years of just playing CS with the occasional throw away game when bored but CS was 95% of my game time and 3 of just wow and football manager so not as strange a question as you would think

loads of people will just be playing rocket league or league of legends and nothing else

currently running a rx6700xt and it seems to run anything I want at 1440p in the 100-200 fps ranged high settings as well but looks like the best upgrade for me would be a new i5-12400 or 12600 and could gain upto 20% performance over my i5-10400f

Last edited:
Associate
I think that's another reason why GPU manufacturers have little or no interest in the gaming PC market. People won't upgrade often if the upgrades are small or come at a huge increase in price. Which is why the profit in console gaming is in the games and gaming-related services (e.g. online multiplayer) and the hardware is cheap.
historically most people upgrade graphics cards every 3-5 years this is pretty much fact going by trends on steam

so 2 generations and sometimes 3

cpus and system rebuilds average 4-6 years

the majority of this forum are not the Norm and will upgrade a lot faster

Last edited:
Caporegime
historically most people upgrade graphics cards every 3-5 years this is pretty much fact going by trends on steam

However, historically people who did that would be getting massive gains (>100%) from their upgrades - without moving up a pricing tier or two. Today, not so much.

Associate
I can't remember where I saw it but apparently some 6XXX AIBs are still being put together with chips made in Jun/Jul 2022, so looks like 7700/7800 are being held back while they clear old stock.

Having just ordered a 6700 XT, I can't see the 7700 beating £300 with a copy of starfield.

Hopefully they'll hurry up and give us some news on FSR 3, too!

Caporegime
I can't remember where I saw it but apparently some 6XXX AIBs are still being put together with chips made in Jun/Jul 2022, so looks like 7700/7800 are being held back while they clear old stock.

Having just ordered a 6700 XT, I can't see the 7700 beating £300 with a copy of starfield.

Hopefully they'll hurry up and give us some news on FSR 3, too!

I expect its going to land about 15% ahead of the 4060Ti with 16GB of VRam at about £400, same price as the 8GB 4060Ti.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Fair point.

But what's a bit different now is that many people who would usually replace their graphics card aren't. Sales of new graphics cards are at extremely low levels, probably the lowest since 3D graphics cards became mainstream PC hardware. Plenty of players on Steam have skipped the last 3 entire generations - 1st and 3rd on the list are 1xxx series cards.

I think part of that is a slowing down of the rate of increase in performance, which is what the person I was replying to referred to. Why buy a new card that's about the same price as the one you already have and gives you only slightly better performance in games? Why get a new card if it's going to cost you £500+ to get a noticeable performance increase and £1000+ (quite likely a new PSU required too) to get a good performance increase? Does it really matter in gaming anyway? If someone has to turn the settings down a level (or two) from Ultra to get a high enough framerate on their relatively old card, would that make enough difference to their gaming to justify the cost of a new card? Would they even notice? I don't think there's the "Oh wow, that makes gaming much more fun, I want to buy that!" factor any more. Ray tracing might be that, maybe, but even a £3K+ PC won't do full ray tracing at a high framerate. Not even at 1080p. At 4K it's about 20fps.

Associate
Fair point.

But what's a bit different now is that many people who would usually replace their graphics card aren't. Sales of new graphics cards are at extremely low levels, probably the lowest since 3D graphics cards became mainstream PC hardware. Plenty of players on Steam have skipped the last 3 entire generations - 1st and 3rd on the list are 1xxx series cards.

I think part of that is a slowing down of the rate of increase in performance, which is what the person I was replying to referred to. Why buy a new card that's about the same price as the one you already have and gives you only slightly better performance in games? Why get a new card if it's going to cost you £500+ to get a noticeable performance increase and £1000+ (quite likely a new PSU required too) to get a good performance increase? Does it really matter in gaming anyway? If someone has to turn the settings down a level (or two) from Ultra to get a high enough framerate on their relatively old card, would that make enough difference to their gaming to justify the cost of a new card? Would they even notice? I don't think there's the "Oh wow, that makes gaming much more fun, I want to buy that!" factor any more. Ray tracing might be that, maybe, but even a £3K+ PC won't do full ray tracing at a high framerate. Not even at 1080p. At 4K it's about 20fps.
for me the biggest increase would be a new motherboard and cpu looks like I can get 15-20% extra performance out of my rx6700xt by moving from i5-10400f to something like i5-12400/13400

now If I can be bothered is the question not as simple as slotting in a new graphics card

Last edited:
Soldato
If TPU tech DB is correct I expect the 7800 to slightly beat the 6800 XT for about £550 (which is a crap price but better than Nvidia). The 6800 was ~15% slower than the 6800 XT and the 7800 has the same specs as the 6800 on a newer process and architecture and has a lot faster clock speeds. Clock speed increase is rarely linear so a 7800 about 20% faster than the 6800 is a reasonable expectation. That would put it at just under last gen 6900XT speeds and AMD will try to sell that as a win for consumers.

That would leave a ~20% performance gap and a ~35% price gap between the 7800 and the 7900 XT. This would leave too much room for an Nvidia GPU (the 4070) to sit without competition. So I suspect a 7800 XT variant in the future that would be hitting 6950 XT type performance and about 10% slower than the 7900 XT for about £650 (4070 prices). The 7900 XT will not drop in price and stay around the £750 mark and compete with the 4070 Ti.

Or to put it simply, AMD will be relasing what are competitors to the 4060, 4060Ti and 4070 at slightly lower price points. Similar to the 7900 XT vs 4070 Ti and the 7900 XTX vs the 4080.

Well my post aged like Boris' "oven ready deal" quote :D

The 7900 XT OCUK deal with the Starfield Premium is £699 and the code being premium can be redeemed for ~£50. Or if you planned to buy the premium code at ~£65 from CD Key sites, that means the 7900 XT Pulse can be had for ~£635 - £650.

So good I bought one :D

Last edited:
Soldato

PC gaming is already starting to become a hobby for the elite, if it carries on the way it is.. give it a few years when used cards like the 1000 and 2000 series dry up and you're left with 3000 and 4000 series, prices will be stupid high for secondhand market because new market will keep them high.

Something needs to change.

Soldato
Anyone starting to suspect that the 7900 GRE is AMD testing the waters for what's going to be the 7800 XT?

$649 for a card that near enough matches the 4070 or at best beats it by a 10'ish percent.

Associate
Anyone starting to suspect that the 7900 GRE is AMD testing the waters for what's going to be the 7800 XT?

$649 for a card that near enough matches the 4070 or at best beats it by a 10'ish percent.
Really disappointing if true. And losing out to the 6800XT in some instances is a bit of joke isn't it?? Maybe in 7800XT guise it might be tweaked a bit but concerning all the same....

Soldato
I think it only lost out to the 6800 XT in 3D Mark Fire Strike, maybe something to do with how that benchmark works with chiplets (do the other chiplet GPUs put up a bad showing in that also?). But yea, for what's roughly the equivalent of a 6950 XT for what would likely be £650 isn't exactly going to set the world on fire.

Associate
I find that a very confusing article.
Keeps saying the 4070 wins most of the time, but the two pictures of graphs they post show the 4070 losing in nearly every test?!

Last edited:
Soldato
I find that a very confusing article.
Keeps saying the 4070 wins most of the time, but the two pictures of graphs they post show the 4070 losing in nearly every test?!
Yea i was getting confused by that also but thought it was just me.

e: My eyes are telling me it looses against the 4070 in two games at 1080p but i don't read Chinese so don't know what games those are and i haven't looked, and wouldn't be able to make sense of, at the original article from Expreview.

Last edited:
Associate
It is confusing, clearly going to need to wait until actual 7800XT reviews exist to make sense of it all. I suspect it'll come down to one or the other for me, although I'm a bit jealous of all the new 7900XT owners on here I wont lie :D

Associate
I'm just wondering why this is a Chinese exclusive since it's not a vendor exclusive.

I don't see Lenevo being the only OEM with it.

Does any one know if the 7900 series is out in China?

Caporegime
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom