• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Soldato
7900 vanilla/non-XT possibly a thing.

Soldato

Disappointing if it is true when it's released. Or if.

Soldato
Personally i don't put much (any) faith in the 60 CU claims, unless I'm mistaken AMD have said 7000 series have a 20% increase in CUs and what's been released so far match that 20% increase so I'd expect a 6800 to come with 72 CUs and the XT to come with 86.

But then the 7900 XTX and XT throw a bit of a spanner in that as the XTX is a 20% increase on the 6950 XT but the XT version of the 7900 is either a little bit more than a 20% increase on the 6800 XT or less than a single digit increase over the 6900 XT

Associate
Personally i don't put much (any) faith in the 60 CU claims, unless I'm mistaken AMD have said 7000 series have a 20% increase in CUs and what's been released so far match that 20% increase so I'd expect a 6800 to come with 72 CUs and the XT to come with 86.

But then the 7900 XTX and XT throw a bit of a spanner in that as the XTX is a 20% increase on the 6950 XT but the XT version of the 7900 is either a little bit more than a 20% increase on the 6800 XT or less than a single digit increase over the 6900 XT

doesn't matter what is inside it's the actual performance that matters.

Soldato
If it ends up as 60 CU then that basically guarantees it's on par (or +<10%) with a 6800 XT. At that point RDNA 3 can go down in Radeon history as their worst GPU generation ever and it's not even close.
That would depend on the pricing. 6800 XT-ish performance with lower power consumption and better ray tracing capabilities doesn't sound too bad to me if it's priced below the 4070. There's also absolutely no way that RDNA 3 is worse than the Fury/Vega years.

Klo

Klo

Soldato
That would depend on the pricing. 6800 XT-ish performance with lower power consumption and better ray tracing capabilities doesn't sound too bad to me if it's priced below the 4070. There's also absolutely no way that RDNA 3 is worse than the Fury/Vega years.
It needs to be priced around the same the 6800xt is now though, can't go much higher as then there is no point.

Soldato
Why is that?
Worst relative (to the competition) performance in history, and minor gains relative to even their own previous efforts, all while keeping prices nowhere near appealing.

Power consumption gains will be minimal, just like the 7600, and will be plagued by the higher idle pw cns just like N31, as for better ray tracing, that's mostly smoke because we saw with N31 & N33 there's no significant gain there relative to RDNA 2, whatever gains it had was mostly from N31 just being bigger (more cores). Really RDNA 3 = RDNA 2 + ability to go multi-chip. Fundamentally the changes were to facilitate them doing that transition & to preserve their profit margins, but at an architectural level the gains were mostly pathetic in all other aspects.

And yes, RDNA 3 is 10x worse than Fury/Vega years, because at least back then there were more differentiating factors for which you could consider AMD, but now there are essentially none. F.ex. 980 Ti vs Fury X, they were close in performance and there were no real feature advantages for Nvidia like today (RT/DLSS etc.), plus pricing was sometimes more attractive for Fury & it had nice UV gains. For Vega, it had a definite compute advantage vs the 1080, and OC vs OC they were very well suited, with Vega even pulling ahead at 4K, and again, feature parity more or less. Overall Nvidia still had the better cards for gaming but it was easy for AMD to drop the price a bit in order to make it competitive, as that's all that was required to balance the scales. With RDNA 3 the prices would have to drop a LOT more in order to make an argument in many scenarios, in RT it's at least 2 gens behind Nvidia, in DLSS it's worse both in terms of upscaling & it completely lacks FG, a middling alternative to Reflex, then we have ancillary things like CUDA (which unless you want to be an ignoramus in the era of ML/DL, is a real PITA to do with AMD, ask me how I know...), better media engine, way better efficiency etc. etc.

Honestly, the most obvious example of how much worse RDNA 3 is than Fury/Vega, is to just look at outlier results. I can find not-broken (and not sub 30 fps scenarios) game examples where Lovelace is >=2x faster than RDNA 3 (their equivalents) but I can't recall a single such example for either Fury or Vega. There's simply no way they'd be able to price themselves out of such performance deficits, they need a whole new architecture to actually compete in such scenarios (and close the feature gap). The crazy thing is they've lost even more distance than last gen WHILE Nvidia gimped most of their own products even harder in order for more obscene profit margins. So in reality it's even worse than what we see.

Soldato
£450 should be the pricing if the 7800XT is on navi 32

Personally I think AMD should bin the 7800XT name this generation as that part has been used for the 7900XT, call this one a 7700XT and price at £400-450 while offering similar performance + more VRAM to the more expensive 4070 to get RDNA3 back on track and bring back some credibility.

Last edited:
Associate
It's all very frustrating as I will be ready to get a new GPU around August. Whatever I get will be an upgrade o er the GTX 1660. Probably better off getting a 7600 xt when it's on discount and staying at 1080p for another 18 to 24 months then see what is around on the next gen.
Shame they didn't release a 7600 xt at the same time they launched the 7600. I think it might done alright if it got to 3060 ti levels.

Soldato
remind me about how great the 4060ti is?

Both are terrible AMD could have rescued it more aggressive pricing? And instead naming 7900xt as 7800xt
The rdna3 architecture seems a failure or it just didn't go as planned, Nvidia Ada architecture is actually impressive but they gimped them a lot and placed in wrong tiers while increasing the price

Last edited:
Soldato
Stop playing like a broken record dude. Nvidia aren’t any better. You will be disappointed next gen I’m sure of it.

Sorry man I don't mean to make you feel about owning a 7900xt could just ignore? Joxeon also mentioned it why don't you moan at him too lol

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry man I don't mean to make you feel about owning a 7900xt could just ignore? Joxeon also mentioned it why don't you moan at him too lol
You are mistaken. I’m happy with my 7900xt. It’s an amazing card and I love the fact that @Gibbo has made it the cheapest price in the land.

Suspect you wish you had a bit more vram?

Back
Top Bottom