• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Associate
3080 is still holding up pretty well tbh.

Screenshot-614.png

If anyone wants to buy a 10GB card these days then I guess they're welcome too.

I'd also suggest that if you have 12GB already you're not going to buy another 12GB card.

Soldato

I'd also suggest that if you have 12GB already you're not going to buy another 12GB card.
I don’t think anyone is buying a 3080 now at least not new for £650 but for that price 3 years ago and still to have more performance than every card next gen card on the market for £650 or less is a pretty good result.

Associate
I don’t think anyone is buying a 3080 now at least not new for £650 but for that price 3 years ago and still to have more performance than every card next gen card on the market for £650 or less is a pretty good result.

Yeah maybe past tense though. It hasn't aged as well as comparable cards. I'd be happier with a 6800XT or 6950XT today.

Soldato
Will you be finally upgrading? (For the VRAM of the 7800XT obvs)
Not that you directed that at me or that you probably care but I'm bored so you can have my answer. :)

I probably will be, I've been using a 570 4GB that was meant as an emergency, temporary, replacement for 3 years now and i don't relish the idea of waiting another 2-3 in the hope that sanity will return to the graphics card market.

I was going to get a 6800/900/950XT but the idea of buying a previous gen card this close to its successor being launched was putting me off and the idea of paying more than £600 for a half decent 4070 is pretty insulting to me, especially with how gimped the memory subsystem is on that, the features they're trying to sell me that i have no interest in (RT/upscaling), and their less than stellar support of Linux.

If the 7800XT's MSRP is $499 I'm hoping I'll be able to get a decent AIB card with three fans and a higher power limit for under £600.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah maybe past tense though. It hasn't aged as well as comparable cards. I'd be happier with a 6800XT or 6950XT today.
Its still ahead of the what was similarly priced 6800XT in the majority of games which would indicate its aged fine so far while the 6950XT was a higher tier and cost $1100 so you'd expect that to have a bit more performance.

Caporegime

If all you care about is sheer raster and native res. or the couple of games that was plagued with issues on launch day (where even top end current hardware was having issues too) then yeah you got a point but sadly the reality is features play a big part in the gaming experience whether people like it or not. Personally I'm so glad I didn't wait out for 6800xt msrp. For my use case scenario and wants/needs, 3080 has aged considerably better than rdna 2:

- dlss, it's not even a contest from both an uptake/support pov and quality as proven time and time again by various comparisons especially if you play at <4k
- ray tracing, less said the better, can't hide behind the, oh it's only in 1-2 games now any more, amd can't even play the rtx remix projects past 1-5 fps and there is noticeable artifacting too (obviously nvidia doing but that doesn't change the point, if you want to play these somewhat well, amd aren't even an option)
- and now ray reconstruction which offers considerably better IQ with same or better performance
- dldsr, which is a game changer for those who have to use FSR 2 or/and just want even better IQ than what DLSS/FSR quality or even what native can provide but with similar performance

UE 5 has shown that even a 4090 ***** the bed so wouldn't even be thinking that either ampere nor even rdna 2 is going to be "future proof" and both 3080/6800xt+ owners will be looking to upgrade come the time UE 5 games are the norm.

The only real upgrades for games (which aren't UE 5 based) for a 3080/6800/6950 owner is still a 4080 and 4090 and 7900xtx and well they look like they will age like milk going forward now.

As it is, both amd and nvidia still have not provided a worthy bang per buck upgrade for those of us who got 3080/6800xt level of perf for £600-650

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Caporegime
Its still ahead of the what was similarly priced 6800XT in the majority of games which would indicate its aged fine so far while the 6950XT was a higher tier and cost $1100 so you'd expect that to have a bit more performance.

Been a good few amount of games recently where a 3080 is matching a 6900xt too. Say what you like about 10gb but for £650 3 years ago it was/is a superb gpu.

Reactions: TNA
Associate
UE 5 has shown that even a 4090 ***** the bed so wouldn't even be thinking that either ampere nor even rdna 2 is going to be "future proof" and both 3080/6800xt+ owners will be looking to upgrade come the time UE 5 games are the norm.
I'm wondering if there's going to be some strategic pivots regarding UE5 - if devs are delivering games that run at 720p with shaky framerates on consoles and exclude a huge amount of PC players, I suspect the sales figures for UE5 titles are going to be distinctly underwhelming.

I bet CDPR is wondering if sunsetting Red Engine was actually the right move.

Rem.png

Av.png

Sol.png

Associate

4 more that I currently have and would be significantly quicker in video rendering compared to the AMD offering. NOt everyone games at 1440 or 4K. Still Rocking a 1080p 60hz monitor

Associate
*snip* the features they're trying to sell me that i have no interest in (RT/upscaling) *snip*
TBH, I've found DLSS fairly useful. While I'd agree with most people saying more performance at said price point to not need to upscale would be my desired choice, DLSS has been fairly good for me at 1080p tbh. Works well enough in the titles i use it in, and DLAA is better than other AA types that most games have. Is it worth the premium they charge? **** no. But it's definitely better than I expected, and when I've compared it to FSR it did have an edge IMO. Though the gap may well close at higher resolutions.

RT however, it's pretty for screenshots :cry: . About it in my experience on my 3060ti, as performance hit is generally too big to use. Also not worth the premium they charge at, at least not for anything that can't run it well enough (YMMV).

Soldato
I'm wondering if there's going to be some strategic pivots regarding UE5 - if devs are delivering games that run at 720p with shaky framerates on consoles and exclude a huge amount of PC players, I suspect the sales figures for UE5 titles are going to be distinctly underwhelming.

I bet CDPR is wondering if sunsetting Red Engine was actually the right move.

Rem.png

Av.png

Sol.png

Remnant's player numbers are quite good

Immortals of aveum just came out, 751 peak since launch lmao what a flop

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom