• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Soldato
So broken down if you remove RT then the 7800XT is looking to be 17% faster in raster than the 6800XT.
Based on AMD's slides that have a long history of being quiet a way higher than most independent reviewers manage to achieve, something AMD always seem surprised by, never managed to explain, and so far have never rectified.

We'll have to see if they've done the same this time around but i wouldn't be surprised if the results from independent reviewers fall quiet a way short of AMD's results, so short in fact that I'm expecting something more like 5% faster.
If it is even 5% faster than the 6800XT in pure raster it is a win. Why? because it is $150 cheaper ! This was how GPU launches used to be. Generation over generation you would get a top end card, now in mid range, for a lot less.
True but in the past that $150 cheaper would be because you'd get similar performance from a card lower down the stack, i.e the 7700XT.

It would be nice if there was an AMD card between the 7800XT and 7900XT but the weird way they've done things the next card up from the 7800XT costs an extra $200-400. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Based on AMD's slides that have a long history of being quiet a way higher than most independent reviewers manage to achieve, something AMD always seem surprised by, never managed to explain, and so far have never rectified.

We'll have to see if they've done the same this time around but i wouldn't be surprised if the results from independent reviewers fall quiet a way short of AMD's results, so short in fact that I'm expecting something more like 5% faster.

I wasn't expecting even 5% tbh. In fact, I thought it would be a wee bit slower.

The significant thing here is the price. It is way cheaper, and doesn't give up any VRAM. Which again, I will take as a win. Especially with the way Nvidia have been carrying on.

Soldato
Then the 7600 is also a waste of sand, get rid of it and launch a proper $299 7600xt

Hmm I think at £220 or so with Starfield it's not bad at all *shrugs*

I mean it ain't great by any means, but it is better than a green kick in the jacksie. I would like to see the gaps filled also, though.

Associate
I think we still need some perspective here, $500 for previous gen 80 performance is still $100 more than previous gen 80 performance has usually cost, the biggest thing here is that you get 16gb VRAM but 8gb of VRAM is likely costing under $20 these days.

It looks good because of how bad Nvidia's offerings are but in a traditional sense this card isn't pulling up trees for its price / performance.
What are you expecting AMD to sell it for then? £300? LoL

Soldato
Right now, but how about next year? Or the year after? How about over the lifespan of the GPU? Say 4 years?

First of all chaps, sorry for the MP. I am just catching up is all.

Oh yeah, I agree. IMO? 12gb will become the bottom line even for 1080p before long. I don't do an awful lot with my 6700XT to be honest. Just PUBG with the boys a few nights a week. I have already dropped settings on 1440p to make the 144hz my monitor wants, and it is fine. I mean tbh I would happily use FSR in it to get more FPS as it was never a pretty game any how. I did try FSR on it before, and ewww. It just put me off of any upscaling completely and looked like someone rubbed vaseline all over my monitor :( It was truly awful, even worse than 1080p native.

That said in TLOU at 4k with the 6950XT it was a different story. It looked miles better than the 1440p playthrough I did on the same TV (75"). But yeah, on both of my actual desk rigs (one at home one at my mother's, TV one is at home also) I don't use any upscalers at all and that is why I bought a 6800XT and 6700XT for those scenarios.

If and when the 6700XT starts to creak though? oh yeah, 7800XT in its place in a heartbeat. I'm getting quite used to cheap GPUs now. Last three cost me barely any more than my one 2080Ti. Mad !

Soldato
I think we still need some perspective here, $500 for previous gen 80 performance is still $100 more than previous gen 80 performance has usually cost, the biggest thing here is that you get 16gb VRAM but 8gb of VRAM is likely costing under $20 these days.

It looks good because of how bad Nvidia's offerings are but in a traditional sense this card isn't pulling up trees for its price / performance.

Because of the ease with which manufacturers can scribble any name they want on the box of a new product, I tend to ignore "xx class" nomenclatures and just look for manufacturers to make new-gen money outperform last-gen money to some meaningful degree.

If 500 RDNA3 dollars matches or outperforms 650 RDNA2 dollars, I consider that a decent improvement. -Not "OMG TAKE MY MONEY!" improvement, but not bad, and worth consideration.

Last edited:
Soldato

True but in the past that $150 cheaper would be because you'd get similar performance from a card lower down the stack, i.e the 7700XT.

It would be nice if there was an AMD card between the 7800XT and 7900XT but the weird way they've done things the next card up from the 7800XT costs an extra $200-400. :(

No one knows how the 7700XT will perform yet. No one is talking about it, there are no slides. For all we know with the clock boost it could be right up the 7800xts bum. And if you are on 1080p the saving may even make it worth buying.

My theory? well we know the dies are cut down cast offs of the 7800XT. As such I think they are chancing their arm to recoup manuf costs, and the price on that one will drop far sooner than later. They may just be going for a launch day cash grab.

The best thing about AMD? they do drop prices. Even on cards that they sell no competition for, like the 7900XT. That has had up to £200 knocked off of it.

I know we all wish prices would return to Pascal/Maxwell but it isn't happening. Prices have gone up on everything we need in life, and the die size has increased gen over gen for this RT bs and so on.

I'm thrilled with this launch tbh. Mostly because I know I won't have to go skint for months if either my 6800XT or 6700XT clacks it. £500 bail out? I am more than stoked with.

Associate
No one knows how the 7700XT will perform yet. No one is talking about it, there are no slides. For all we know with the clock boost it could be right up the 7800xts bum. And if you are on 1080p the saving may even make it worth buying.

My theory? well we know the dies are cut down cast offs of the 7800XT. As such I think they are chancing their arm to recoup manuf costs, and the price on that one will drop far sooner than later. They may just be going for a launch day cash grab.

The best thing about AMD? they do drop prices. Even on cards that they sell no competition for, like the 7900XT. That has had up to £200 knocked off of it.

I know we all wish prices would return to Pascal/Maxwell but it isn't happening. Prices have gone up on everything we need in life, and the die size has increased gen over gen for this RT bs and so on.

I'm thrilled with this launch tbh. Mostly because I know I won't have to go skint for months if either my 6800XT or 6700XT clacks it. £500 bail out? I am more than stoked with.
I think there’s a lot of folks in denial about gpu pricing. Sadly they’re the only ones to suffer by holding out and not buying anything- Live Life once and forget about the cost to some extent.

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
I think there’s a lot of folks in denial about gpu pricing. Sadly they’re the only ones to suffer by holding out and not buying anything- Live Life once and forget about the cost to some extent.

It has become more of a disease than a certain cough and cold tbh. People getting all entitled, thinking they are accountants at Nvidia and AMD.

I mean yeah, a lot of the cards launched have been LOL worthy, but at some point you have to bite the bullet if you really are a PC gamer and DO play games all of the time. And it has all become just this spoiled negative swirl in social media about how you shouldn't buy F all, yet they are all sat there gaming on their 4090s they got free.

BTW you lot laugh at this if you want.

My 2080Ti cost me £1700 in March of 2020. I bought the Kingpin, as I am a water cooler but did not want the aggro.

Since then? B grade Strix 6800XT LC from here, £700. 6700XT Strix second hand about 8 months back, £320. 6950XT MBA about two months back, £600. Those three GPUs cost me less than the 2080Ti. I could have bought one 4090 for that.

The hilarious thing is? I am totally an Nvidia fanboy and always was. Up until then I hadn't bought an AMD since the 5000 ATI series. The problem is? I am also a value hound. I mean yeah no value in the 2080ti but I won that money (long story, personal) and such I didn't care about wasting. Since then? back to my £700 limit and I have bought three killer cards for less than one.

And I will continue on that path.

Associate
We have seen benchmarks. Whether they are true? is what we don't know. Seriously man, you should really deep dive into things more. The 6950XT was an absolute beast. It just released at completely the wrong time.

Any way, going back to it all? the 7800XT may well be as fast as the 6950XT, which will explain why they have launched it. The 7900XT is only 10-15% faster than a 6950XT. So if the 7800XT is the 6950XTs replacement (and on pascal and prior that was how it worked) they don't need to launch anything else in that bracket.

The reason why I am so obsessed with plain raster and plain res? is because that is how both AMD and Nvidia grade their GPUs whether people want to believe it or not. RT? DLSS? is all marketing and marketing as usual is often always poop.

We've seen AND's benchmarks, that's it.

What are you so upset about? I didn't call the 6950XT a bad card or anything like it! - Jesus Christ, I've been checking them out for months. But for me, the gap between that and the 6800XT isn't big enough, plus it's the same gen, so it's either 7800XT, which benchmarks pending or big with a 7900XT. As for for when it was released, hwo would that affect my decision to buy one or not, right now?

I don't care about the upscaling crap either.

Last edited:
Soldato
We've seen AND's benchmarks.

What are you so upset about? I didn't call the 6950XT a bad card or anything like it! - Jesus Christ, I've been checking them out for months. But for me, the gap between that and the 6800XT isn't big enough, plus it's the same gen, so it's either 6800XT which now seems to have been more or less replaced, benchmarjs pending or big witha 7900XT.

I don't care about the upscaling crap either.

Get the 7900XT. At £900 it was out of order. At £700 though? it is a killer card.

I think a lot of people confuse the 6950XT with the 6900XT. The latter? was barely 10% faster than the 6800XT (kinda like the uplift from the 3080 to 3090) and thus was not worth buying, even at the £900 RRP. Which of course was a fallacy. The 50 was a far superior card. Faster clocks, binned mature dies, faster memory and so on. It just released at totally the wrong time.

That said if you game at 1440p? get the 6950XT. At that res the 7900XT offers absolutely nothing worth writing about. If however you are 4k or some weird wide res close to it? get the 7900XT.

I know people continually keep trying to hammer home that the 3080 is about the same as the 6800XT but again, it all depends on context. In the games I play? the 6800XT is faster than the 3090. They also seem to forget that overclocking is a thing, and my 6800XT is on a 240 AIO. I have had it easily over 2700mhz. Try that on a 3080, which at launch could not even hold its base clocks without crashing and thus had to have a new VBIOS released.

I could also run a 5 game benchmark where the 3080 runs out of VRAM in every game. Because of course that is the biggest elephant in the room isn't it? Put it this way, like the 3090ti there was a reason why Nvidia launched the 3080ti. And it was because of the 6800XT. They only do that when they know. And they knew. There is no 4080ti this round and no 4090ti either. Both have been panned. And the reason is simple, they have no competition there.

Soldato
The GCD on Navi 32 is only 200mm².l, so I doubt they have many cast offs as yield should be pretty good. They'll have some, and some of those would be useable as 7700 XT but I think yields being so good is one of the main reasons they don't seem to want to sell the 7700 XT versus the 7800 XT.

Soldato
The GCD on Navi 32 is only 200mm².l, so I doubt they have many cast offs as yield should be pretty good. They'll have some, and some of those would be useable as 7700 XT but I think yields being so good is one of the main reasons they don't seem to want to sell the 7700 XT versus the 7800 XT.

Well it is a new gen pretty much.

As for not wanting to sell? Dunno man. Look back at the 970 and 980. On paper it seemed mad to buy a 980, but buy it people did. The 7700XT has a higher boost clock that the 7800XT. So, like the 970 to 980? it could be worth saving the £50 or so. Especially if you don't need 16gb VRAM. I mean, fifty quid is fifty quid. It is still 10% less than the 7800XT. They still haven't launched a killer 1080p card, so the 77 could well be that.

And? I reckon it will see price cuts long before the 7800XT. At £270 the 7600 was laughable. At £220 with Starfield? yeah, not so much given Starfield is a £60 entry fee at minimum.

But aye, I don't think it will be very long at all before the 77 is down to £400 or less. I mean, remove Starfield? it's £400 isn't it?

I guess they are just chancing their arm a little hoping that game sells the cards. They will soon remove it and the price as soon as it doesn't.

I could have bought a 6950XT @ £650 with TLOU. I paid £600 for one without it, then bought it for £20 (TLOU) when it got panned at release lol. I have a feeling Starfield is going to be much bigger than that though.

Associate
Well it is a new gen pretty much.

As for not wanting to sell? Dunno man. Look back at the 970 and 980. On paper it seemed mad to buy a 980, but buy it people did. The 7700XT has a higher boost clock that the 7800XT. So, like the 970 to 980? it could be worth saving the £50 or so. Especially if you don't need 16gb VRAM. I mean, fifty quid is fifty quid. It is still 10% less than the 7800XT. They still haven't launched a killer 1080p card, so the 77 could well be that.

And? I reckon it will see price cuts long before the 7800XT. At £270 the 7600 was laughable. At £220 with Starfield? yeah, not so much given Starfield is a £60 entry fee at minimum.

But aye, I don't think it will be very long at all before the 77 is down to £400 or less. I mean, remove Starfield? it's £400 isn't it?

I guess they are just chancing their arm a little hoping that game sells the cards. They will soon remove it and the price as soon as it doesn't.

I could have bought a 6950XT @ £650 with TLOU. I paid £600 for one without it, then bought it for £20 (TLOU) when it got panned at release lol. I have a feeling Starfield is going to be much bigger than that though.

Which 6950XT do you have?

Soldato
Which 6950XT do you have?

I got the MBA. If you are looking for tip top performance from it? don't.

I just had to was all :D

5YsiTOO.png

You can clearly see why.....

The AM cards boost a bit higher though and thus go a little faster. Absolutely none of them would have looked as good in there though /tart and proud.

Back
Top Bottom