• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Soldato
Currently gaming at 1200p (where supported, often stuck with 1080) and looking to change to 1440p. Reckon the 7800xt should be perfect for that, and hopefully give some longevity with the 16gb. Just needs to come in appreciably lower than the 4070 for me.

Yup will be fine for that.

Really a 6700xt is perfectly fine for most 1440p games outside of very recent titles and unless you are insistent on putting everything to max including all the gimic graphics options.

But the 16gb of VRAM should future proof nicely and give plenty of grunt, so depending on pricing could be a very solid choice at the mid to high end.

Soldato
So it's £500 for a card with the performance of a three year old £500 card?

I might buy one when it's EOL and heavily discounted, until then I'm happy to keep waiting.
I think you will find it was a £600 card that cost close to £1k for a long time. At it's release price it's under the 6800xt and 6800 non xt. It's priced more toward the 6700xt on release pricing. Every card was overpriced back then so in that respect it's ok but in thise day it's about as good as it gets.

Associate
I think you will find it was a £600 card that cost close to £1k for a long time. At it's release price it's under the 6800xt and 6800 non xt. It's priced more toward the 6700xt on release pricing. Every card was overpriced back then so in that respect it's ok but in thise day it's about as good as it gets.

I get what your saying but it's another nothing release in the concentrated effort to keep GPU prices as high as possible for as long as possible.

My 5700XT will last a few years more.

Last edited:
Soldato
Doesn’t matter whether they officially EOLd the 6000 series or not, in most people’s reckoning it was last gen so out of date.

You keep comparing last gen with new- think about letting it go? (And accept you will never get a new gen x80 or x800 class for less than £600)

I’m happy to let this age like fine wine or fine cheese. :cool:
Not sure what you’re on about as the 7800XT is less than £600. :rolleyes:

Soldato
I get what your saying but it's another nothing release in the concentrated effort to keep GPU prices as high as possible for as long as possible.

My 5700XT will last a few years more.
I have been wanting to upgrade Vega 64 for a good while now. This is pretty much it for me although still not happy about the current climate.

Soldato
So it's £500 for a card with the performance of a three year old £500 card?

I might buy one when it's EOL and heavily discounted, until then I'm happy to keep waiting.
They have dropped prices on the old stuff to try and move it.

Would you rather them just leave the prices on old staff at original MSRP? Why would anyone buy a 6800XT at $650 when new 7800XT's have a $500 MSRP?

I get that manufacturers try to milk us for every dime with gimicks and misleading nomenclatures, but I don't have a problem with a company bringing last gen's $650 performance (that was good value then) to this gen's $500 price point. And I certainly won't complain if they drop the price on old (but still NIB) stock too.

Last edited:
Associate
They have dropped prices on the old stuff to try and move it.

Would you rather them just leave the prices on old staff at original MSRP? Why would anyone buy a 6800XT at $650 when new 7800XT's have a $500 MSRP?

I get that manufacturers try to milk us for every dime with gimicks and misleading nomenclatures, but I don't have a problem with a company bringing last gen's $650 performance (that was good value then) to this gen's $500 price point. And I certainly won't complain if they drop the price on old (but still NIB) stock too.

Seems bizarre that you could misconstrue my post as a complaint about them lowering the price of the 6800XT now it's EOL but whatever.

Prices are only trending downwards, sales are awful, the majority of PC gaming isn't at the bleeding edge on cards costing £500+.

Ultimately the longer I sit out the more of an upgrade I'll get for my money when I decide to part with it. The 7800XT is a worthy performance uplift from my current card but I'm not prepared to normalise mid range GPUs at £500+.

Associate
I'm not sure which card to get now lol :eek: :confused:

I've got a budget of £1200 or so.

My original plan was to build my new rig minus the GPU with a total cost of around £950.

I'm doing online surveys, which are VERY tedious to do lol, and you get vouchers for a well known retailer who shall remain nameless in exchange for doing these surveys.

By the end of today, I'll have £95 worth of vouchers, and I reckon I'll be able to do another £90 per month as long as it doesn't drive me crazy.

So by the time that November comes along (when I'll have the rest of the money) I'll have £360 worth of vouchers, meaning that the PC will only take up £590 of my budget, leaving me £600 or so to play with.

I was originally planning on getting the GPU, a 7900XT, in April or May, but with these vouchers cutting some of my spending, I COULD get myself a 7800XT instead. And that means a whole new machine rather than waiting 6 months for the GPU.

So I've got 3 options:

1) Get the whole thing including the 7800XT in November.

2) Get everything apart from the GPU in November, use my current 1080 until April or May next year and get a 7900XT.

3) Get everything apart from the GPU in November, use my current 1080 until April or May next year, continuing to do these surveys and get myself a 7900XTX instead.

I'm starting to seriously think about option number 3, assuming that I don't drive myself insane first lol :cry:

Just for reference, I'm building a rig with a 7800X3D and 64GB of DDR5, and if I decide to go for the 7900XTX I'll need to spend more on my power supply.

Associate

My original plan was to build my new rig minus the GPU with a total cost of around £950.

I'm doing online surveys, which are VERY tedious to do lol, and you get vouchers for a well known retailer who shall remain nameless in exchange for doing these surveys.

By the end of today, I'll have £95 worth of vouchers, and I reckon I'll be able to do another £90 per month as long as it doesn't drive me crazy.

So by the time that November comes along (when I'll have the rest of the money) I'll have £360 worth of vouchers, meaning that the PC will only take up £590 of my budget, leaving me £600 or so to play with.

I was originally planning on getting the GPU, a 7900XT, in April or May, but with these vouchers cutting some of my spending, I COULD get myself a 7800XT instead. And that means a whole new machine rather than waiting 6 months for the GPU.

So I've got 3 options:

2) Get everything apart from the GPU in November, use my current 1080 until April or May next year and get a 7900XT.

3) Get everything apart from the GPU in November, use my current 1080 until April or May next year, continuing to do these surveys and get myself a 7900XTX instead.

I'm starting to seriously think about option number 3, assuming that I don't drive myself insane first lol :cry:

Just for reference, I'm building a rig with a 7800X3D and 64GB of DDR5, and if I decide to go for the 7900XTX I'll need to spend more on my power supply.

Don't bother waiting. Six months wasted when you could have been gaming. Then, in a year or so the card you really wanted will be down in price and you'll be able to acquire it easier, given the sell on value of the 7800XT.

Do you really want to spend six cold long months filling in stupid surveys, or do you wan to play games?

Lower settings and expectations and have some fun instead.

Soldato

So I've got 3 options:

You might find a pat time job would pay significantly higher per hour than those surveys, then buy any GPU you want ;)

Associate
Not sure what you’re on about as the 7800XT is less than £600. :rolleyes:
But you keep on like a broken record (you’re sounding like someone I know by the name of Somersett :)) saying every gpu is a bad deal- lmao you aren’t going to get 7800xt for £300-400 notes this year. Maybe next year or early 2025.

At this rate you’ll keep your 3080 going for another 6 years lamenting gpu prices :p

Last edited:
Soldato
But you keep on like a broken record saying every gpu is a bad deal- lmao you aren’t going to get 7800xt for £300-400 notes this year. Maybe next year or early 2025.

At this rate you’ll keep your 3080 going for another 6 years lamenting gpu prices :p

This. The only drop I see is the 7700XT. The 7800XT will be their bread and butter card, and it will be the last to drop. Well, unless the Starfield promotion ends early like the TLOU one (and DI2). I can't see that being removed before Chrimbo in all honesty.

BTW to those comparing the 7800XT to £500 cards you can get now? it's a new card on a new node. That means it comes with a lot more benefits of being on that new node. Noting the way better RT performance it will have, and much lower power consumption. I do see a point in it, given I have bought three cut price 6000 cards but then I don't care about leccy as my stereo eats more than a PC any way. We also don't know if FSR3 will work better and generate more frames on the 7000 series either, but I would bet my hat it will.

Soldato
Seems bizarre that you could misconstrue my post as a complaint about them lowering the price of the 6800XT now it's EOL but whatever.

Prices are only trending downwards, sales are awful, the majority of PC gaming isn't at the bleeding edge on cards costing £500+.

Ultimately the longer I sit out the more of an upgrade I'll get for my money when I decide to part with it. The 7800XT is a worthy performance uplift from my current card but I'm not prepared to normalise mid range GPUs at £500+.
I was pointing out **why** , to quote you: "it's £500 for a card with the performance of a three year old £500 card?"

I don't see a problem with old stuff falling in price and brand new stuff, with similar performance, sloting in at the reduced price point.

Performance at the $500 price point has seen a meaningful improvement from past gen to this gen. I don't care if they drop prices on old stuff or offer better performance at $500 with new stuff. It's a win either way.

-And the $500 price point was decent value last gen. It's not like they took a bad value price point, like say $1200 that had crap value last gen, and made it less bad. $500 was good last gen, and it's better with this gen.

Last edited:
Soldato
But you keep on like a broken record (you’re sounding like someone I know by the name of Somersett :)) saying every gpu is a bad deal- lmao you aren’t going to get 7800xt for £300-400 notes this year. Maybe next year or early 2025.

Not sure why my opinion bothers you so much, everyone has a different perspective of value, you were going to pay £779 for a 7900XT, then bought one for £750 then when the prices dropped further tried saying you actually got one for £665.

At least when I don’t feel a product is worth it I stand by the courage of my convictions rather than buy something and when the price drops further go around saying I got it cheaper than I actually did.

Any reason OCUK have raised prices on the 7900xt sapphire mba? I was just about to pull the trigger at £779
What were Nv thinking releasing a £800 card with only 12gb vram?!? (4070ti). They must think the majority are fools. I needed an upgrade but decided against Nv this gen and instead went with £750 7900XT which made more financial sense and for longevity.
Paid £749 so I’m happy with that and the 2 months use out of it. Just stating that AMD does offer some value for money this gen. Don’t believe all the hype and do your own research.
then after further price cuts.
You’ll get a 6950xt/7800/possible 7900xt for that budget in a few months.

With discounts got my brand new unused 7900xt for £665 from elsewhere in April. Sad to see prices pushed back up to £800.

Associate
I was pointing out **why** , to quote you: "it's £500 for a card with the performance of a three year old £500 card?"

I don't see a problem with old stuff falling in price and brand new stuff, with similar performance, sloting in at the reduced price point.

Performance at the $500 price point has seen a meaningful improvement from past gen to this gen. I don't care if they drop prices on old stuff or offer better performance at $500 with new stuff. It's a win either way.

-And the $500 price point was decent value last gen. It's not like they took a bad value price point, like say $1200 that had crap value last gen, and made it less bad. $500 was good last gen, and it's better with this gen.

I think we'll just have to agree that our definitions of value differ massively and I'm more than happy to wait on more price drops.

Back
Top Bottom