• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Soldato
Get the 7900XT. At £900 it was out of order. At £700 though? it is a killer card.

Yup very happy with mine.

I paid £699 with Starfield premium which (and I appreciate key sites sell it cheaper) is £86.

So that's £613 for that card.

Absolutely no brainer at that price, and stacked with plenty of VRAM so hopefully will be running out of grunt way before it's maxing that out.

May even get a slight fine wine boost over the years.

Associate
Yea that's why i specifically said upscaling and not DLSS, the DLAA part of DLSS is better than most other methods of AA from what i can tell but for me the upscaling would be something I'd try to avoid until it's absolutely necessary in the future if, as I've done in the past, i bought a game only to discover that it runs like dog doo-doo because i over (or is it under) estimated the games minimum requirements.

To me it's a kind of future proofing, if there's such a thing, in that i may use it in the future so it's a nice to have I'm not going to pay £100+ for something i may never use.

Agreed, it makes more sense if you've got the performance (and money) to throw at it but the lower down the stacks you go the less sense it makes outside of looking at the pretty only to turn it off to play the game.

Plus for me games are about much more than how nice they look.

LOL, i probably wouldn't go 4k even if i had the money, which i don't. :)

Nah I'll be using it for 1440p, the amount improvement in image quality of 4k just isn't worth the sizeable increased cost IMO.
I think - though don't hold me to this - i saw something that sounded like DLAA but for FSR being announced. DLSS in darktide at 1080p quality looks better to me than native with any of the AA, so if there's an FSR version of DLAA that works well and can be used everywhere I'd love that. Pretty much agree with everything you said tbh. I'd also agree games are about much more than they look - though strangely I'm not a fan of some of the older 3d stuff, I know I went back to play Jedi Knight 2 and I just thought it had aged really badly and looked awful. But more than happy to play KOTOR or Baldurs gate because I don't feel like they've aged badly and neither are graphical superstars.

Soldato
I think - though don't hold me to this - i saw something that sounded like DLAA but for FSR being announced. DLSS in darktide at 1080p quality looks better to me than native with any of the AA, so if there's an FSR version of DLAA that works well and can be used everywhere I'd love that. Pretty much agree with everything you said tbh. I'd also agree games are about much more than they look - though strangely I'm not a fan of some of the older 3d stuff, I know I went back to play Jedi Knight 2 and I just thought it had aged really badly and looked awful. But more than happy to play KOTOR or Baldurs gate because I don't feel like they've aged badly and neither are graphical superstars.

I've been playing Quake 2 remastered all day. It's bloody brilliant. When I looked at the screenshots it was a bit meh, but holy crap man it is so much fun to play. Flies along, and combat is really slick.

Soldato
That’s rather unrealistic expectations of pricing.
Past gen 80 performance usually comes in at $400 so I don’t think $450 is unrealistic for a 7800XT unless this card performs closer to a 7900XT while the 7700XT looks like it puts out similar performance to a 6800 with less VRAM + bandwidth and that card is already available for near $400.

Like it or not that’ll be the prices in a few months, just look at what the 7900XT/XTX are selling for now compared to release.

Associate
Past gen 80 performance usually comes in at $400 so I don’t think $450 is unrealistic for a 7800XT unless this card performs closer to a 7900XT while the 7700XT looks like it puts out similar performance to a 6800 with less VRAM + bandwidth and that card is already available for near $400.

Like it or not that’ll be the prices in a few months, just look at what the 7900XT/XTX are selling for now compared to release.
If you (in general sense) were lucky you wouldn’t have paid those prices as within 3 months post release you could snap up the XT for £799 and now £699.

I really think though what you are expecting doesn’t align with the reality and you said in past if your price point not reached you wouldn’t buy. Surely you’ll have to bite at some point when your 3080 runs out of vram?

Also I don’t think Nvidia nor AMD will crawl back to gamers anytime soon.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nvidia set the pricing for this generation, and AMD has undercut them and even given an expensive game with their cards. Now it's upto Nvidia to respond to this. Then AMD will have to respond and so on. This is what happened with Turing. AMD upsold the RX690/RX670 as the RX5700XT and RX5600XT but undercut the Turing cards. Then Nvidia responded with price cuts and eventually released the Super range.

But the issue is if Nvidia does not respond, prices won't change much on average.

Soldato
Also I don’t think Nvidia nor AMD will crawl back to gamers anytime soon.

The pressure will come from partners sitting on a warehouse full of GPUs that are not shifting.... that takes a while.
Even the 4080 has had a 20% price drop from a laughable £1269 lauch to a dip below £1000 last week.

I expect 7800XT = 6800XT & 7700XT = 6800 in performance.

I also see OCUK seems to have sold all 7900XT except the MBA which is still £899 :cry: and also sold most of the 4070Ti's so there seems to be a healthy market for cards at £7-800.
4070 has plenty of options in stock so will be interesting to see what demand there is for the 7800XT which seems to be it's closest comparator.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 7800XT looks interesting and is priced fairly. I’m really curious to see if it will perform any better than a 6800XT.

I hope UK pricing will be ok starting around £470-480.
Neither card really brings anything new to the table though as a 6800XT has been available for £500 and a 6800 for £450 or less for the last 6 months so unless the 2 new RDNA cards performance is dramatically better than those 2 cards then its really just a continuation of the price performance we've already had.

Associate
Neither card really brings anything new to the table though as a 6800XT has been available for £500 and a 6800 for £450 or less for the last 6 months so unless the 2 new RDNA cards performance is dramatically better than those 2 cards then its really just a continuation of the price performance we've already had.
Im gonna have to disagree here a bit, a dual slot card with AV1 encoding ( hopefully decent ) is hard to come by, theres only a few 4070s alone that fits the bill.

within the gamers circle, theres still a decent chunk of them that does some form of content creation and quite frankly AMD really needs AV1 to pull here, see all of those twitch streamers, most use Nvidia for Nvenc.

Associate
There are a few new things such as AV1, new anti lag, more energy efficiency and therefore for factor, newer architecture and thus longer support by AMD…

But most importantly, it’s quite odd to compare EOL clearance prices with the MSRP of a new SKU. It has always been like that. E.g., 980Ti could be had for same or less money than a 1070.

The MSRP of the 6800XT looks fair to me in the current market. For sure, no generational leap, but a more performance per £ than last generation’s MSRP. Nvidia often failed at delivering that this generation.

Associate
The pressure will come from partners sitting on a warehouse full of GPUs that are not shifting.... that takes a while.
Even the 4080 has had a 20% price drop from a laughable £1269 lauch to a dip below £1000 last week.

I expect 7800XT = 6800XT & 7700XT = 6800 in performance.

I also see OCUK seems to have sold all 7900XT except the MBA which is still £899 :cry: and also sold most of the 4070Ti's so there seems to be a healthy market for cards at £7-800.
4070 has plenty of options in stock so will be interesting to see what demand there is for the 7800XT which seems to be it's closest comparator.
If I’m not mistaken Nvidia have already sold the dies to the Aibs so I don’t think they would care?

Soldato
There are a few new things such as AV1, new anti lag, more energy efficiency and therefore for factor, newer architecture and thus longer support by AMD…

But most importantly, it’s quite odd to compare EOL clearance prices with the MSRP of a new SKU. It has always been like that. E.g., 980Ti could be had for same or less money than a 1070.

The MSRP of the 6800XT looks fair to me in the current market. For sure, no generational leap, but a more performance per £ than last generation’s MSRP. Nvidia often failed at delivering that this generation.
This situation is different to the 980ti/1070 with the former seeing cuts only after the later released and not almost a year before. The 6800 series wasn’t EOL as up until now there wasn’t a replacement out while AMD was still actively promoting them on slides alongside their 7900 range, if anything, now you’ll see the clearance prices being brought in.

Last edited:
Associate
This situation is different to the 980ti/1070 with the former seeing cuts only after the later released and not almost a year before. The 6800 series wasn’t EOL as up until now there wasn’t a replacement out while AMD was still actively promoting them on slides alongside their 7900 range, if anything, now you’ll see the clearance prices being brought in.
Doesn’t matter whether they officially EOLd the 6000 series or not, in most people’s reckoning it was last gen so out of date.

You keep comparing last gen with new- think about letting it go? (And accept you will never get a new gen x80 or x800 class for less than £600)

I’m happy to let this age like fine wine or fine cheese. :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
Next you will be telling us "the more you buy the more you save"
To an extent Jensen was right so yes :D

oar2.jpg

If you buy as much gpu as you can afford to future proof a bit it will last longer in the future so the more you buy the more you save does apply here :cry:

Last edited:
Associate
Currently gaming at 1200p (where supported, often stuck with 1080) and looking to change to 1440p. Reckon the 7800xt should be perfect for that, and hopefully give some longevity with the 16gb. Just needs to come in appreciably lower than the 4070 for me.

Back
Top Bottom