• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Associate
Not sure why my opinion bothers you so much, everyone has a different perspective of value, you were going to pay £779 for a 7900XT, then bought one for £750 then when the prices dropped further tried saying you actually got one for £665.

At least when I don’t feel a product is worth it I stand by the courage of my convictions rather than buy something and when the price drops further go around saying I got it cheaper than I actually did.

then after further price cuts.
Let’s not get petty….
Just observing you have a downer on every gpu deal except your 3080

Actually you are accurate I got my 7900xt for £750 then got a £85 rebate credited after a few weeks (I can supply a screenshot of the receipt if you like?) which brought it down to £665. On the day of gpu purchase I also used a gift voucher to bring it further down to £625. So that’s how the price of my gpu came down/changed. (I have receipts/evidence of all discounts so I’m not sure what point you are falsely trying to make?)

Your constant “every gpu is overpriced crying out loud” is wearing a little thin (and fast becoming a meme round these parts lol) which is why it bothers me.

Not everyone was lucky to get a vram limited 3080 for £649 during the pandemic so stop beating everyone with that stick.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think we'll just have to agree that our definitions of value differ massively and I'm more than happy to wait on more price drops.
I'm curious. Do you think that 6800XT-level performance was a bad value when it launched at $650 last gen, and/or do you think a $150 price reduction, gen-on-gen is not a meaningful improvement?

Last edited:
Soldato
Your constant “every gpu is overpriced crying out loud” is wearing a little thin (and fast becoming a meme round these parts lol) which is why it bothers me.

Not everyone was lucky to get a vram limited 3080 for £649 during the pandemic so stop beating everyone with that stick.
Not sure how you have the audacity to complain about those wanting a return to value in the gpu market when it was people like you who caused this mess in the first place by scalping and Was the reason others weren’t lucky enough to get the card that they wanted.
I managed a 3080 FE, 3070 FE, 3090 FE 3X, 3080ti FE 3060ti FE.

The only issue is you have to be prepared to leave meetings etc to respond to alerts- I agree not everyone can do this.

All sold for profit and have kept the 3060ti FE

Associate
Not sure how you have the audacity to complain about those wanting a return to value in the gpu market when it was people like you who caused this mess in the first place by scalping and Was the reason others weren’t lucky enough to get the card that they wanted.
Somewhat unsurprising default response when you have no other means of winning an argument.

Associate
I'm curious. Do you think that 6800XT-level performance was a bad value when it launched at $650 last gen, and/or do you think a $150 price reduction, gen-on-gen is not a meaningful improvement?

Everything last generation was bad value, everything this generation is also bad value just slightly less so.

I'm happy to let the Whales keep spending. Remember the more you buy, the more you save!

Soldato
Everything last generation was bad value, everything this generation is also bad value just slightly less so.

I'm happy to let the Whales keep spending. Remember the more you buy, the more you save!
If you think *everything* last gen was a bad value *at MSRP* then yes, we have a disagreement. What was the last good value card at MSRP in your opinion, and how much of an improvement do you expect gen-on gen?

I consider 30% (gen on gen) "good, and 20% to be decent.

Associate
If you think *everything* last gen was a bad value *at MSRP* then yes, we have a disagreement. What was the last good value card at MSRP in your opinion, and how much of an improvement do you expect gen-on gen?

I consider 30% (gen on gen) "good, and 20% to be decent.

We've already determined our perception of value is wildly different, we have nothing further to discuss.

Soldato
AMD for the last year dropped most of its RDNA2 pricing below RRP and Nvidia hardly dropped pricing. After they launched the RTX4060,Nvidia pricing dropped,but an RTX3070 is still £400. The RTX3080,etc had hardly any discounts under RRP unlike AMD. Even then when you have a £300 RX6700XT,and sub £200 RX6600,etc Nvidia cards like the RTX3050 look incredibly overpriced.

AMD launched the RX7900XTX at significantly lower price than the RTX4080. The price has barely dropped a £100,but the RX7900XTX has dropped a similar amount. The RX7900XT is now much cheaper than an RTX4070TI...whose price has barely dropped. AMD also bundles a game which costs £60~£85.The RX7600 is cheaper than an RTX4060 with a decent game. The RX7700XT/RX7800XT undercuts the RTX4079 RRP by $100~$150 with an expensive game.AMD bundled expensive games,but Nvidia is giving you a Battlepass for Overwatch 2!

The code for Starfield is selling for £40~£50 on the famous auction site.

Nvidia has barely responded. Its no point complaining about the price,if people pay that much extra for Nvidia cards,as its clear those who prefer value for money,will already be considering an AMD card anyway this generation. So unless Nvidia responds,the prices won't be dropping much in the immediate future. People need to be complaining at Nvidia too. AMD made a few steps in the right direction. Now its Nvidia's turn.

If people don't believe me - look at Turing. Nvidia jacked up pricing. AMD pushed up the price of the RX690/RX670 as they rebranded them as the RX5700XT/RX5600XT because they could still undercut Nvidia doing this. Nvidia then adjusted the price of the RTX2060 a little so the RX5600XT had to ship with a new BIOS and faster VRAM,then months later they released the Super refresh. AMD adjusted pricing downwards and eventually reference RX5700 non-XT cards were close to £250 on special offer.

AMD had nothing to compete with Nvidia above the RTX2070,and Nvidia had all the RT and DLSS marketing too. This generation they are much closer together.

The big issue is Nvidia is so pumped by AI,I get the feeling they have stopped caring. But even last year they didn't care either with billions in unsold inventory.

Last edited:
Caporegime
As long as GPUs keep selling, Nvidia (or any brand for that matter) have zero reason to drop prices, gamers may not be buying Nvidia GPUs (although going by steam stats, looks like plenty still are :o) but plenty of professionals are, be that content creators, people using it for AI/cuda based workloads.

Associate
I'm not sure which card to get now lol :eek: :confused:

I've got a budget of £1200 or so.

My original plan was to build my new rig minus the GPU with a total cost of around £950.

I'm doing online surveys, which are VERY tedious to do lol, and you get vouchers for a well known retailer who shall remain nameless in exchange for doing these surveys.

By the end of today, I'll have £95 worth of vouchers, and I reckon I'll be able to do another £90 per month as long as it doesn't drive me crazy.

So by the time that November comes along (when I'll have the rest of the money) I'll have £360 worth of vouchers, meaning that the PC will only take up £590 of my budget, leaving me £600 or so to play with.

I was originally planning on getting the GPU, a 7900XT, in April or May, but with these vouchers cutting some of my spending, I COULD get myself a 7800XT instead. And that means a whole new machine rather than waiting 6 months for the GPU.

So I've got 3 options:

1) Get the whole thing including the 7800XT in November.

2) Get everything apart from the GPU in November, use my current 1080 until April or May next year and get a 7900XT.

3) Get everything apart from the GPU in November, use my current 1080 until April or May next year, continuing to do these surveys and get myself a 7900XTX instead.

I'm starting to seriously think about option number 3, assuming that I don't drive myself insane first lol :cry:

Just for reference, I'm building a rig with a 7800X3D and 64GB of DDR5, and if I decide to go for the 7900XTX I'll need to spend more on my power supply.
Tell me more about these surveys? I tried to message you directly, but i cant figure out how

Caporegime

Everything mid-range was pretty terrible value, last time out. Low/mid-range at £400 for the second successive generation, when many of us were used to paying £250 for that tier, didn't help any.

Esp when you consider that some cards being sold as 1440p, now can't even handle 1080p. Tho that affects one company's products more than the other :p

Associate
Let’s hope the gpu Gods have heard you and lower prices for X80/ X800 to £500 (because you remember that’s how much it used to cost- what- 10 years ago?) :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom