• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Soldato
It seems there’s nothing any company can do right for some of you here.

No wonder one of them has given up making decently priced GPUs for gamers and the other just allegedly quit the high end next gen. :rolleyes:
They already quit the high end this gen and instead have 2 cards sandwiched either side of Nvidia’s renamed 70 class 4080. ;)

AMD said themselves they don’t are not competing with Nvidia’s 90 class.

Soldato
You could say that about any of the Nvidia cards also, a 3080 for example was £800-1000 back in 2022 yet a 4070 is now £550 for similar performance so that’s a 45-80% difference while a 3060ti was £600 and now a 4060ti is 50% cheaper and 10% faster but doesn’t necessarily make the 4070 or 4060ti a great offering.
We are comparing MSRP's. Compared to actual selling prices during crypro mining everythi g is amazing now. I also think the 4070 was one of the few Nvidia offerings to get decent sales.
The $700 3080 was 16% more expensive that the $600 4070.

That's not nothing (and technically progress), but less than 20% improvement, gen-on-gen is kind of "meh" in my view.

The 4060ti comparison starts with an arguably bad value reference point.

Last edited:
Associate
They already quit the high end this gen and instead have 2 cards sandwiched either side of Nvidia’s renamed 70 class 4080. ;)

AMD said themselves they don’t are not competing with Nvidia’s 90 class.
So you would allege that the 7900xtx (Rx7800) is the real 4070 (fake 4080) competitor and the 7900XT (RX 7700xt) is the real 4060ti (fake 4070ti) competitor?

If so this is one of the biggest cons in the gaming industry and also why have so many people fallen for it? (Or is it all hot air?) :D

Last edited:
Soldato
There is an improvement though in RT and 2 WHOLE Further years of driver support over a £500 6800xt. I’d rather get the new stuff (7800xt for same price).
Yes and I've said as much and i also said....
I.e I may well end up buying a 7800 XT (attempting to get it back OT here) but the only reason I'll end up buying that is not because it offers more performance (from what i can tell it may even be a tiny bit slower) than the previous model at that price point, the 6800 XT, but because i need to replace something that was only ever intended as a temporary replacement for a broken graphics card. I won't be buying it because i desire it, I'll be buying it because i need to.
Manufacturers are not making your money go faster. X amount of money is not buying you more performance now than before. There has been no 20-30%.
Along with loads of other posts that essentially say the same thing. :rolleyes:

Associate
Yes and I've said as much and i also said....

Along with loads of other posts that essentially say the same thing. :rolleyes:
Fair. I hadn’t remembered you were going to purchase one couple of post back.

Basically for a 7800xt you were expecting 7900xtx performance but got 6800xt performance which is disappointing. I get it. Peace out.

Associate
It seems there’s nothing any company can do right for some of you here.

No wonder one of them has given up making decently priced GPUs for gamers and the other just allegedly quit the high end next gen. :rolleyes:

Yes people should stop being mean to poor Nvidia and AMD, it's not fair! They're only doing their best and trying to give customers the best products as possilbe for as little money as they can afford to sell them for and people still aren't satisfied!

So ungrateful!

Its so horrible for Jenson and Lisa to be bulled in this way, I bet they cry themselves to sleep at night, people can be so beastly! I'm going to have a little cry myself now!

:(

Last edited:
Soldato
So you would allege that the 7900xtx (Rx7800) is the real 4070 (fake 4080) competitor and the 7900XT (RX 7700xt) is the real 4060ti (fake 4070ti) competitor?

If so this is one of the biggest cons in the gaming industry and also why have so many people fallen for it? (Or is it all hot air?) :D
I don't think many have which is why sales have been poor.

Soldato
Fair. I hadn’t remembered you were going to purchase one couple of post back.

Basically for a 7800xt you were expecting 7900xtx performance but got 6800xt performance which is disappointing. I get it. Peace out.
No, as I've told you numerous times now i was expecting something akin to 7900 Xt performance for the price of the 6800 XT, for a 10-20% performance improvement over previous generation cards for similar money as has been the case for the last 10-20 years. :rolleyes:

I was not expecting there to be stagnation, i was not expecting there to be almost no point in buying a new graphics card because it offers little in the way of price/performance improvements.

But then i suspect you know that already and you're just being argumentative for the sake of it.

Associate
No, as I've told you numerous times now i was expecting something akin to 7900 Xt performance for the price of the 6800 XT, for a 10-20% performance improvement over previous generation cards for similar money as has been the case for the last 10-20 years. :rolleyes:

I was not expecting there to be stagnation, i was not expecting there to be almost no point in buying a new graphics card because it offers little in the way of price/performance improvements.

But then i suspect you know that already and you're just being argumentative for the sake of it.
The 7900xt offered me double the performance of my 60ti and for a good price (in b4 criticisms- long story but I got it for a good price!).

I’m not being argumentative just trying to understand yourself and Joxeon’s viewpoints. (I still think both your expectations are not going to be realised for a good few years and I’m entitled to that opinion just as you are to yours).

Last edited:
Soldato

The 7900XTX offered decent performance uplift but:

A) The $1000 price point it slotted into was a bad value last gen, so 36% better than the already overpriced 6950XT just makes it less bad.

B) It was overhyped by AMD and fell short of the hype.

The 7900XT shows as 34% better than the 6800XT on techpowerup, and would have been fine at $650 (maybe $675 with inflation?), but they overpriced it at $900, so that was crap.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 7900XT shows as 34% better than the 6800XT on techpowerup, and would have been fine at $650 (maybe $675 with inflation?), but they overpriced it at $900, so that was crap.
And that's pretty much what I've been saying all day, despite GhostDog1981's weak attempts at strawmanning. If the 7900 XT had been called the 7800 XT and priced at $650 i think most people would have seen it as a return to normality, as a card worth buying.

Soldato
And that's pretty much what I've been saying all day, despite GhostDog1981's weak attempts at strawmanning. If the 7900 XT had been called the 7800 XT and priced at $650 i think most people would have seen it as a return to normality, as a card worth buying.
I'd have probably picked one up myself had it launched for that as even though its not the largest upgrade over my 3080, 29% according to TPU it would have been an opportunity at a protest vote over Nvidia's ridiculous 4080/70ti pricing and a reward for AMD in getting it right but sadly they were no better.

Associate

100% correct.

But as with Nvidia and their naming and pricing shenanigans, you pay more for less. But as ever, there's always someone who will stan for big tech corporations.

Progress would have been 30-40% uplift per card in every tier, no calling a 4060 a 4070, 7800XT the 7900XT, at a price adjusted for inflation or therabouts. But what did we get? massive price increases and cut down cards...

Anyone who also thinks that a price-cut 2-3 card going EOL represents any sort of value is off their conkers on the corpo kool-aid.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom