• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Soldato
100% correct.

But as with Nvidia and their naming and pricing shenanigans, you pay more for less. But as ever, there's always someone who will stan for big tech corporations.

Progress would have been 30-40% uplift per card in every tier, no calling a 4060 a 4070, 7800XT the 7900XT, at a price adjusted for inflation or therabouts. But what did we get? massive price increases and cut down cards...

Anyone who also thinks that a price-cut 2-3 card going EOL represents any sort of value is off their conkers on the corpo kool-aid.

Thats cos they thought they could get away with it when they saw people were willing to pay nearly double for a card during the shortage. I think it really opened nvidias eyes and they wanted it to last.

This gen has taught them, it won't last but knowing nvidia they will try again next gen with the same shenanigans. Moores law is dead afterall according to Jensen, he certainly would look abit of a mug if he went back on that now.

Associate
And that's pretty much what I've been saying all day, despite GhostDog1981's weak attempts at strawmanning. If the 7900 XT had been called the 7800 XT and priced at $650 i think most people would have seen it as a return to normality, as a card worth buying.
Just chill mate. This is an internet forum not serious discussion.

Enjoy your day.

Soldato
Thats cos they thought they could get away with it when they saw people were willing to pay nearly double for a card during the shortage. I think it really opened nvidias eyes and they wanted it to last.

This gen has taught them, it won't last but knowing nvidia they will try again next gen with the same shenanigans. Moores law is dead afterall according to Jensen, he certainly would look abit of a mug if he went back on that now.
They won’t need to cut the cards die sizes down any further next gen aside from maybe the bus getting cut as GDDR7 will make up for that. It will be the case of normalising the cuts that have already been made and moving those same size dies onto 3nm would give all the cards a 30% uplift and make it look a fairly decent upgrade when in reality you’d just be getting the performance you should have got with this gen.

Soldato
No, as I've told you numerous times now i was expecting something akin to 7900 Xt performance for the price of the 6800 XT, for a 10-20% performance improvement over previous generation cards for similar money as has been the case for the last 10-20 years. :rolleyes:

I was not expecting there to be stagnation, i was not expecting there to be almost no point in buying a new graphics card because it offers little in the way of price/performance improvements.

But then i suspect you know that already and you're just being argumentative for the sake of it.
Moore's law may not be totally dead, but it certainly has slowed down a lot. That plus only two contestants and one barely bothering with dGPUs means Nvidia largely have a license to print money. Especially with their crazy mindshare (3050 selling for more than 6600 XT, 3060 non-Ti selling for more than 6700, etc. that is crazy!)

But yes, there is a real danger that they will kill the golden gaming goose - even if they are raking it in with the golden turkey of AI - and like in the years of the Intel CPU stagnation of quad cores there is a real danger that the market collapses because there is nothing worth buying for most people's budgets. If people only buy new dGPUs when the old one breaks, then volumes will have to go way down.
Double the vRam too.
Well, the best thing Nvidia could do at a small loss in margins is to start being "generous" with VRAM. Planned obsolescences might take major hit though. And planned obselescenece has worked wonders for Nvidia despite all the denials and is X VRAM enough? threads being locked: just witness the amount of people upgrading from 3060 Ti, 3070 and even 3080 because 8GB/10GB is now borderline.
They won’t need to cut the cards die sizes down any further next gen aside from maybe the bus getting cut as GDDR7 will make up for that. It will be the case of normalising the cuts that have already been made and moving those same size dies onto 3nm would give all the cards a 30% uplift and make it look a fairly decent upgrade when in reality you’d just be getting the performance you should have got with this gen.
Unless their next gen is coming in 2026, I doubt anything except for the top die gets 3nm as it seems to command a huge increase on 5nm/4nm per wafer. I was actually surprised that 4090 offered such a large improvement over 3090 but to do so they - again surprisingly - went to what was near the limit for the node.

10-20 years ago, ever 18 months to 2 years there would a new node and while wafer prices, design costs, masks etc. went up a bit the price per transistors went down massively. Now things are far slower. What Nvidia (or AMD) can no longer do is take a 80nm design, port it to 65nm like 8800 GTX to 8800 GT. Those days are gone.

So those are the excuses, but having said all that: Nvidia's margins and overall profits even just from Gaming is crazily high for a fabless company. So they could afford to offer far better generational improvements. But since at least Titan, they have noticed that some whales are willing to overspend, which means Nvidia have little reason to offer better value.

Barriers to entry into the dGPU market are huge not only because of patentwalls, but also drivers, and the complexity of design, which suits Nvidia and AMD fine.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well, the best thing Nvidia could do at a small loss in margins is to start being "generous" with VRAM. Planned obsolescences might take major hit though. And planned obselescenece has worked wonders for Nvidia despite all the denials and is X VRAM enough? threads being locked: just witness the amount of people upgrading from 3060 Ti, 3070 and even 3080 because 8GB/10GB is now borderline.

Always a rather silly argument this, far more 3090 owners have jumped ship to the 4090..... not to mention all the rdna 2 owners, so much for 16gb and 24gb meaning people could hold onto their gpus for 5+ years.... All the vram in the world is doing jack **** now for the newest games and it's not even saving the 4090 from ******** the bed.

Last edited:
Associate

Leaked Time Spy Score RX 7700 XT Reveals Comparable Performance of RTX 4070 and RX 6800​

"Per HXL's information, the RX 7700 XT achieved a Time Spy score close to 17,000 points, which could place the RX 7700 XT around 3.2% faster than the RX 6800. The data also shows the RX 7700 XT in close competition with the RTX 4070, having a score difference of just 5%. Additionally, the RX 7700 XT scores about 27.3% higher than the GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB."

Soldato

Leaked Time Spy Score RX 7700 XT Reveals Comparable Performance of RTX 4070 and RX 6800​

"Per HXL's information, the RX 7700 XT achieved a Time Spy score close to 17,000 points, which could place the RX 7700 XT around 3.2% faster than the RX 6800. The data also shows the RX 7700 XT in close competition with the RTX 4070, having a score difference of just 5%. Additionally, the RX 7700 XT scores about 27.3% higher than the GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB."

Coming as the market expected so far, 7700xt = 6800 and 7800xt = 6800xt

It will be for buyers to decide what they prioritise. The 6800 can currently be picked up for $400, $50 less than the MSRP for the reference 7700xt and it has 16gb vram vs 12gb for the 7700xt. Me thinks the 7700xt will rely heavily on it's exclusive fsr3 features that rdna2 don't have access to to get sales, but most of the exclusive features only arrive in 2024

Last edited:
Associate
I was hoping pre-orders, and some model specific pricing, would be up by now. I'm potentially wanting a very specific card though - white - so looks like the Asus TUF is the only one likely to arrive this side of the pond.

Upgrade is from a 6600, and use is at 1440p UW, so should be a vast improvement. But impatience is getting the better of me.... been looking at white 4070s. I could spend more but don't game enough to warrant it. Hopefully more news in the next couple of days.

Soldato
Coming as the market expected so far, 7700xt = 6800 and 7800xt = 6800xt

It will be for buyers to decide what they prioritise. The 6800 can currently be picked up for $400, $50 less than the MSRP for the reference 7700xt and it has 16gb vram vs 12gb for the 7700xt. Me thinks the 7700xt will rely heavily on it's exclusive fsr3 features that rdna2 don't have access to to get sales, but most of the exclusive features only arrive in 2024
I think the pricing shows they're not really bothered about shipping the 7700XT but moreso the 7800XT.

This may change after initial sales if they drop the 7700XT price but at $50 difference, well, I think the upselling will work for many.

Soldato
I was hoping pre-orders, and some model specific pricing, would be up by now. I'm potentially wanting a very specific card though - white - so looks like the Asus TUF is the only one likely to arrive this side of the pond.

Upgrade is from a 6600, and use is at 1440p UW, so should be a vast improvement. But impatience is getting the better of me.... been looking at white 4070s. I could spend more but don't game enough to warrant it. Hopefully more news in the next couple of days.

Sapphire is releasing a white model:

Associate
I think the pricing shows they're not really bothered about shipping the 7700XT but moreso the 7800XT.

This may change after initial sales if they drop the 7700XT price but at $50 difference, well, I think the upselling will work for many.
Can't agree more. Some products are out just to upsell the others. It was 7900xt and now 7700xt. GPU market will never set back where it supposed to be, that's sad.

Associate
Thanks!! Not sure how I missed that - another contender for my cash :)

Associate
Speaking of Sapphire, this was interesting the other day.

"For AMD-exclusive AIB partners, Sapphire has the highest RMA rate of 2.5%, with XFX at 2%."

Associate
Speaking of Sapphire, this was interesting the other day.

"For AMD-exclusive AIB partners, Sapphire has the highest RMA rate of 2.5%, with XFX at 2%."

Someone said power colour was the worst and sapphire the best in Another thread the other day.

The percentages are pretty low for any of the manufacturers so I wouldn't be too worried about it

Associate

Looks like Nitro+ for me If I decide to bite.

Back
Top Bottom