• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Associate
Someone said power colour was the worst and sapphire the best in Another thread the other day.

The percentages are pretty low for any of the manufacturers so I wouldn't be too worried about it

Someone doesn't know what they're talking about with PC cards, I've had half a dozen and they've all been great, in any case I would say these RMA numbers are so small they're not worth worrying about.

Associate
Can't agree more. Some products are out just to upsell the others. It was 7900xt and now 7700xt. GPU market will never set back where it supposed to be, that's sad.

I think it is important to note that both cards use the same die. The 7700XT is just partly deactivated (the same situation for 7900XT vs. XTX). Rumors are that the yields are quite good, so they might simply not have too many partly defective N32 chips yet. Sure, there is an upselling aspect, but AMD will also hesitate to artificially deactivate perfectly fine chips they could sell in the 7800XT. Prices of the 7700XT will inevitably drop once they have enough partly defective chips to sell. This is just a function of supply and demand.

Associate
RMA comes down to the support, not the numbers. Last I heard Sapphire warranty was entirely dealt with my OcUK, which is great if still true.

Personally, I’d avoid any company which RMA centre is anywhere other than the UK. Unless they send you a replacement before you send the failed unit back (very rare).

Soldato
Prices of the 7700XT will inevitably drop once they have enough partly defective chips to sell. This is just a function of supply and demand.
Give it a month or two and it'll be down to £400 and by early next year it'll be going for £350 and be one of the best bang for buck GPUs on the market.

Last edited:
Associate
Give it a month or two and it'll be down to £400 and by early next year it'll be going for £350 and be one of the best bang for buck GPUs on the market.

Yep, exactly where the 6700XT is now, plenty of grunt at 1440p, and you have your 12GB for £300.

Man of Honour
Last I heard Sapphire warranty was entirely dealt with my OcUK, which is great if still true.

Gibbo said they don't do end-user RMA in this post:

Permabanned
Someone doesn't know what they're talking about with PC cards, I've had half a dozen and they've all been great, in any case I would say these RMA numbers are so small they're not worth worrying about.
So cause you've had 6 that haven't failed, that means you know more than 2 of the leading british suppliers of Powercolor and their failure/return/fault/warranty rate as suppliers in this country...

Let alone the global experiences buyers have had with the brand... Riiight

I'm pretty certain when a supplier offers a customer a cheaper more reliable brand vs a powercolor, they're looking out for their customers, and not conning them, vs trying to force the sale of a more expensive tier/brand/model... But what would 2 industry leading suppliers of UK pc components know vs someone that's had 6 cards by that brand eh! :p :cry::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
So cause you've had 6 that haven't failed, that means you know more than 2 of the leading british suppliers of Powercolor and their failure/return/fault/warranty rate as suppliers in this country...

Let alone the global experiences buyers have had with the brand... Riiight

I'm pretty certain when a supplier offers a customer a cheaper more reliable brand vs a powercolor, they're looking out for their customers, and not conning them, vs trying to force the sale of a more expensive tier/brand/model... But what would 2 industry leading suppliers of UK pc components know vs someone that's had 6 cards by that brand eh! :p :cry::rolleyes:

Their numbers don't matter to me, my personal experience does. I come to my own conclusions on products, not what a retailer chooses to tell me.

;)

Soldato
Someone said power colour was the worst and sapphire the best in Another thread the other day.

The percentages are pretty low for any of the manufacturers so I wouldn't be too worried about it
It's essentially a 1 in 40 failure rate even for the worse ones, this is why even buying used without warranty if I can get a good price has never really concerned me.

Man of Honour

I'm surprised they would be willing to disclose this to anyone, tbh, I can't imagine it'd help their relationship with the brands.

Most of these cards are just the last gen with a slightly updated cooler (e.g. the RX 6600 XT coolers look identical to RX 7600), so don't know how anyone manages to muck it up :o

Soldato
The way I see it from a sample of 1,000 cards if one manufacturer has 30 cards RMA'd and the other 15 that looks terrible as a percentage, 100% more. In the context of total sales I wouldn't be worried, very little chance to get a bad one of either brand. Now if it was 1 in 1000 or 100 in a thousand chance I might take more notice. As someone else said aftersales support if what matters. I've only ever had one motherboard, an MSI one, that had to be swapped out but that was quick and was a USB or SATA issue I think spotted and recalled before I'd even installed it.

OcUK Staff
Gibbo said they don't do end-user RMA in this post:

We deal with the warranty, that customer did not buy from us and as such was not able to benefit from our top class service. :)
Sapphire is 3yr warranty back to OcUK, but only if you buy from OcUK. ;)

Soldato

AMD wanted to put 12VHPWR connectors on Radeon RX 7700 and 7800 design but later dropped it from design. So next generation Radeon RX 8000 series will certainly have 12VHPWR connectors.

Last edited:
Soldato

AMD wanted to put 12VHPWR connectors on Radeon RX 7700 and 7800 design but later dropped it from design. So next generation Radeon RX 8000 series will certainly have 12VHPWR connectors.
It's s poisoned chalice at this stage, although there are a bunch of big spending 4090 and 4080 buyers currently doing extensive beta testing on it as a public service!

Soldato
Speaking of Sapphire, this was interesting the other day.

"For AMD-exclusive AIB partners, Sapphire has the highest RMA rate of 2.5%, with XFX at 2%."

2.5% failure is still well within normal tolerance for an electronic product and anything under 2% is better than average. If it gets to 5% then you can start avoiding that product

Last edited:
Soldato

Because it's cheaper

A single 12 pin is cheaper to manufacture than 2 x 8 pins and it takes up less PCB space. It may only make the GPU like $1 or $2 cheaper to manufacture but when you sell a million GPU that's $2 million of extra profit

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom