• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Soldato
I would say if you wanted a card for Starfield you most likely already have it. It's an own goal but it's AMD so no surprise there.

We all know and AMD know that if you were going to buy the 4070 you were always going NV any how. If you want a Starfield card better waiting on an AMD card as the 7800xt will massacre the 4070 in that game looking at how it's went in reviews.

Any how my reasons for not considering a 4070 is not enough Vram and not interested in RT atm. Raster is still King in my gaming atm and so is my bank account. I have waited over 2 years for an upgrade like many have so can wait a little longer or hope a good deal comes in the next week for a 7900xt as am done waiting to see if anything changes.

I don't agree - I want a card for Starfield as do many of my mates. Many people will wait to see what AMD has on offer for nearly 6 months. We all think the RTX4070 is not great value at £500+ so if the RX7800XT is over £500+ I will think the same. The only advantage the RX7800XT has is VRAM,but it will be a worse product in most other ways.

Also the RTX4070 was on offer months ago with Diablo 4,and my current card was worth more too. So if I upgraded months ago,and sold the Diablo 4 code,it would cost me less than waiting months for a £550 RX7800XT. In many countries RTX4070 street prices have dropped already,so if AMD thinks they can launch nearly 5 months later,and at the same prices as Nvidia it won't work.

No FSR3 too,after so much hype in Starfield either. So even if AMD wins in native benchmarks,once the modders improve the DLSS mod,it will help Nvidia too. Plus we don't know if Nvidia will fix the drivers in the game too and get more performance.

OFC,AMD could just launch with plenty of stock at RRP. But the more they play their idiot games,they will get an idiot cake as a reward.

I never thought they would try this fake RRP thing again after it failed massively with Vega. But it seems they want to try more of the same.

It is really odd that after so long it looks like there's a stock shortage. They really have little interest in this market don't they, seems like a token effort which is a shame.

And if it does end up pushing prices up then I (and many others I suspect) may need to reconsider the 4070 or just not bother and see what the next generation brings. Such a frustrating time when you have the money to spend but no one gives you any incentive to give it to them!

They did it with Vega 56/Vega 64 because the actual RRP was a fake RRP. But the real streetprice was higher for months.

Never knew what AMD stood for until now!
I like that one as it's been one disaster after another with there strategy.

AMD can concentrate on margins until they reach 0.1% marketshare. After all if they can sell 0.1% of cards but at 10% more margins than the year before when they had 1% marketshare that is a victory right?

Have this company not understood,the more they do this nonsense,the more people won't bother waiting for their products?

Last edited:
Associate
It is really odd that after so long it looks like there's a stock shortage. They really have little interest in this market don't they, seems like a token effort which is a shame.

And if it does end up pushing prices up then I (and many others I suspect) may need to reconsider the 4070 or just not bother and see what the next generation brings. Such a frustrating time when you have the money to spend but no one gives you any incentive to give it to them!

It's definitely confusing. Surely any stock shortage (unless it's temporary while they're sorting the release out) must be an intentional restriction of supply to drive up prices?

Soldato
It's definitely confusing. Surely any stock shortage (unless it's temporary while they're sorting the release out) must be an intentional restriction of supply to drive up prices?

Its basically this. Are people seriously thinking a 200MM2 5NM chip is so hard to make? Plus the 6NM MCDs have been made since last year.

Its quite clear they knew launching 5 months after the RTX4070 with a less developed product,meant they had to price it lower. But because they really don't want to do that,and set an RRP they have no intention of keeping to,but actually think they can match the RTX4070 streetprice and sell loads.

But the reviews will be set at RRP. Nvidia did something similar with the FE,but made sure you can get a decent volume on launch day.

This sounds exactly like the Vega 56/64 launch which was really underhand.

But what AMD does not understand,is that by doing this the people who would normally wait,won't do so anymore. They will end up not waiting and more will just buy Nvidia.

I will just keep my money in my pocket.

Last edited:
Associate

They've had long enough to release these cards so the logical answer is that it must be intentional. I guess we just see what the prices look like tomorrow, if its around that MSRP (and we can physically get one pretty soon) then I'll order one. If not I'll wait for a deal and I'll have to pick up Starfield later on, probably have a load of bugs ironed out by then as well lol.

Soldato
So is the 7800xt looking like the best £500 ish card to be looking at for someone out of the loop and wanting to upgrade their 2070 Super?

I don't think humbug is going to buy the 7800xt and he also wants a replacement for his 2070 super

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't agree - I want a card for Starfield as do many of my mates. Many people will wait to see what AMD has on offer for nearly 6 months. We all think the RTX4070 is not great value at £500+ so if the RX7800XT is over £500+ I will think the same. The only advantage the RX7800XT has is VRAM,but it will be a worse product in most other ways.

Also the RTX4070 was on offer months ago with Diablo 4,and my current card was worth more too. So if I upgraded months ago,and sold the Diablo 4 code,it would cost me less than waiting months for a £550 RX7800XT. In many countries RTX4070 street prices have dropped already,so if AMD thinks they can launch nearly 5 months later,and at the same prices as Nvidia it won't work.

No FSR3 too,after so much hype in Starfield either. So even if AMD wins in native benchmarks,once the modders improve the DLSS mod,it will help Nvidia too. Plus we don't know if Nvidia will fix the drivers in the game too and get more performance.

OFC,AMD could just launch with plenty of stock at RRP. But the more they play their idiot games,they will get an idiot cake as a reward.

I never thought they would try this fake RRP thing again after it failed massively with Vega. But it seems they want to try more of the same.

The main problem i see for you is the 4070 is a tier or more below the 7800xt in Starfield. If you play it for years like Fallout then you are throwing away performance as the 4070 is going to be 25% slower or more compared to the 7800xt.

I think Gibbo said what he will have next week is going to be closer to RRP. I think you are right though it's not looking like AMD want to sell a lot of these atm

Soldato
The main problem i see for you is the 4070 is a tier or more below the 7800xt in Starfield. If you play it for years like Fallout then you are throwing away performance as the 4070 is going to be 25% slower or more compared to the 7800xt.

I think Gibbo said what he will have next week is going to be closer to RRP. I think you are right though it's not looking like AMD want to sell a lot of these atm

The issue is months ago I could have picked one up and it would cost much less than a £550 RX7800XT costs now,once I factored in selling the Diablo 4 code and the higher value my current card sold for secondhand back then. Plus we all know Nvidia can eventually improve drivers,plus no FSR3 in the game means the DLSS mod will help Nvidia users more.

So if AMD wants to play stupid games,by restricting stock and fake RRPs then people will get fedup and buy something else. Or in my case buy nothing. It also gives more time for Nvidia to fix performance in the game,and for modders to find ways to help Nvidia cards out.

The other issue is there are people who might want to buy from other retailers to? If they can't hit RRP and have no stock,and the RTX4070 is the same price or even cheaper then what? Think worldwide.

Plus,why should anyone care to wait for another AMD launch then? Wait 5 months for the launch,another few weeks/months for stock if you want it close to the fake RRP,or pay Nvidia prices(or worse).

I don't think humbug is going to buy the 7800xt and he also wants a replacement for his 2070 super

He probably will. Might settle for an RX7700XT.

Last edited:
Soldato
The issue is months ago I could have picked one up and it would cost much less than a £550 RX7800XT costs now,once I factored in selling the Diablo 4 code and the higher value my current card sold for secondhand back then. Plus we all know Nvidia can eventually improve drivers,plus no FSR3 in the game means the DLSS mod will help Nvidia users more.

So if AMD wants to play stupid games,by restricting stock and fake RRPs then people will get fedup and buy something else. Or in my case buy nothing. It also gives more time for Nvidia to fix performance in the game,and for modders to find ways to help Nvidia cards out.

The other issue is there are people who might want to buy from other retailers to? If they can't hit RRP and have no stock,and the RTX4070 is the same price or even cheaper then what? Think worldwide.

Plus,why should anyone care to wait for another AMD launch then? Wait 5 months for the launch,another few weeks/months for stock if you want it close to the fake RRP,or pay Nvidia prices(or worse).

He probably will.

I agree with everything you say about this apart from considering a 4070 for Starfield. At 1080p and 1440p the 4070 is a 6750xt class gpu. DLSS is the only thing the 4070 has going for it here. Nvidia and modders have there work cut out for them to fix that. No amount of discounts is worth it if Starfield is your main game. I will play Starfield but it's not priority so a few more weeks of waiting after all this time won't hurt me. DLSS

Soldato
Vega was in the days of that loudmouth, but the suspicion was that due to HBM2 it was a loss leading showpiece.

While 5nm isn't cheap, a 200mm² should be quite profitable and certainly not a loss leader. Maybe they really did no stock pilling despite being so late!

But 1% marketshare with +2% margins seems to be the goal!

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree with everything you say about this apart from considering a 4070 for Starfield. At 1080p and 1440p the 4070 is a 6750xt class gpu. DLSS is the only thing the 4070 has going for it here. Nvidia and modders have there work cut out for them to fix that. No amount of discounts is worth it if Starfield is your main game. I will play Starfield but it's not priority so a few more weeks of waiting after all this time won't hurt me. DLSS

But the issue is that if there is no stock in many markets the rtx4070 will win by default. In lots of markets rx6800 series stock is getting low too.

Plus the longer AMD restricts stock the more likely Nvidia will find a way to fix performance. Amd not including FSR3 and using a terrible fsr2 implementation means they already screwed themselves over.

Plus Phantom Liberty is where AMD won't do so well and that is out soon.
AMD pricing close to Nvidia won't work if they launch so late and with the featureset not being fully developed. What if Nvidia drops the price slightly and includes Phantom Liberty?

Time is not on their side on this.

Vega was in the days of that loudmouth, but the suspicion was that due to HBM2 it was a loss leading showpiece.

While 5nm, a 200mm² should be quite profitable certainly not a loss leader. Maybe they really did no stock pilling despite being so late!

But 1% marketshare with +2% margins seems to be the goal!

No its them trying to do a Vega. Launch a small amount at RRP. But the rest of the stock is poorly priced.

Last edited:
Soldato
But the issue is that if there is no stock in many markets the rtx4070 will win by default. In lots of markets rx6800 series stock is getting low too.

Plus the longer AMD restricts stock the more likely Nvidia will find a way to fix performance. Amd not including FSR3 and using a terrible fsr2 implementation means they already screwed themselves over.

Plus Phantom Liberty is where AMD won't do so well and that is out soon.
AMD pricing close to Nvidia won't work if they launch so late and with the featureset not being fully developed. What if Nvidia drops the price slightly and includes Phantom Liberty?

Time is not on their side on this.

The board is already stacked against them so i doubt they care at this point and it shows with this release. I expected lots of stock after all this time. Maybe they have some master plan for down the line with chiplets and until then they will just hang off on even trying. Ps5 pro maybe next year should keep them going in custom and graphics market.

Seems to me with Starfield they are using it to sell the remaining old stock as some higher 6 series comes bundled with it and punches well in this game. 6800xt is faster than 4070ti on hubs benches.

Last edited:
Soldato
The board is already stacked against them so i doubt they care at this point and it shows with this release. I expected lots of stock after all this time. Maybe they have some master plan for down the line with chiplets and until then they will just hang off on even trying. Ps5 pro maybe next year should keep them going in custom and graphics market.

So how is doing this going to make them sell their stock or recoup R and D costs? You still need enough revenue. Like the RX7900XT,if they had called it the RX7800XT and priced it OK,they wouldn't have had to drop the price so much. Now I thought they had learnt that lesson,but instead they probably want an RX7900XT pricing tactic,but instead of starting at that higher price officially,they want to do it by stealth.

Soldato
So how is doing this going to make them sell their stock or recoup R and D costs? You still need enough revenue. Like the RX7900XT,if they had called it the RX7800XT and priced it OK,they wouldn't have had to drop the price so much. Now I thought they had learnt that lesson,but instead they probably want an RX7900XT pricing tactic,but instead of starting at that higher price officially,they want to do it by stealth.
I dont know what they are doing and i dont think they do either but accross the board AMD are better priced than Nvidia are. They just price a bit under Nvidia and see where it goes. They are not pro active they just follow Nvidia atm.

Back
Top Bottom