• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on 7800 xt?

Soldato
Its basically this. Are people seriously thinking a 200MM2 5NM chip is so hard to make? Plus the 6NM MCDs have been made since last year.

Its quite clear they knew launching 5 months after the RTX4070 with a less developed product,meant they had to price it lower. But because they really don't want to do that,and set an RRP they have no intention of keeping to,but actually think they can match the RTX4070 streetprice and sell loads.

But the reviews will be set at RRP. Nvidia did something similar with the FE,but made sure you can get a decent volume on launch day.

This sounds exactly like the Vega 56/64 launch which was really underhand.

But what AMD does not understand,is that by doing this the people who would normally wait,won't do so anymore. They will end up not waiting and more will just buy Nvidia.

I will just keep my money in my pocket.
No excuse for low volume considering they have had 9 months since the launch of the last RDNA3 card other than that weird china only 7900 greedy rabbit edition.

Usually they launch for a higher price and get panned in reviews then have to cut the price but maybe this time they think if they launch at a more reasonable price but limit stock and charge more it will get better reviews which are based on the MSRP and people will think they are selling out fast due to the low stock so some will panic buy.

Just remember folks that if it comes in at around £550 that you could have bought a 6800XT for £500 months ago with similar raster slightly worse RT and 35w higher power use but had months of enjoyment out of the card and spent less.

Soldato
No excuse for low volume considering they have had 9 months since the launch of the last RDNA3 card other than that weird china only 7900 greedy rabbit edition.

Usually they launch for a higher price and get panned in reviews then have to cut the price but maybe this time they think if they launch at a more reasonable price but limit stock and charge more it will get better reviews which are based on the MSRP and people will think they are selling out fast due to the low stock so some will panic buy.

Just remember folks that if it comes in at around £550 that you could have bought a 6800XT for £500 months ago with similar raster slightly worse RT and 35w higher power use but had months of enjoyment out of the card and spent less.

AMD surely ain't smart enough to pull that off. Strange times these last few years.

Last edited:
Soldato
They are desperate to keep prices high for all product stacks to the last minute, disgraceful

Plenty of 6700XT, 6800 and 6800XT stock still everywhere, so will AMD basically limit 7700/7800XT stock, keep those prices higher than the former cards until stock of those has run pretty dry and price the 7700/7800XT where they should be?

Associate
Plenty of 6700XT, 6800 and 6800XT stock still everywhere, so will AMD basically limit 7700/7800XT stock, keep those prices higher than the former cards until stock of those has run pretty dry and price the 7700/7800XT where they should be?

Could well be. But I wonder how long the Starfield offer is available? As that's worth about £50 if you were buying it anyway like I suspect a lot are...

Soldato

They said the following prices:

AMD-RX7800-7700-PRICING-RELEASE-DATE.jpg

AMD promised those prices at launch,and gave the impression(that most people got) that there would be enough stock!

489 Euro for the RX7700XT and 549 Euro for the RX7800XT in Germany which has 19% VAT. So even if you add 1% more for UK VAT,that is 493 Euro,ie,£421 and 553 Euro,so £472.

Nvidia RRPs for their FE models,are close to exact conversions. The RTX4070 is $600,so is £573 with VAT. Nvidia have it for £570. But street prices are already below that,especially for cheaper AIB partner models.

So there is zero excuses for the RX7700XT to cost more than £420~£430 or the RX7800XT to cost more than £470~£480 for reference models,or lower level AIB partners ones. Nobody is expecting the really high end ones at those prices but the reference and lower end ones should be that price or close to it.

If it does magically go well beyond that,it only means another Vega 56/64 style fake RRP. Then it should be judged at the same level as the RTX4070. I hope reviews sites follow up on street pricing of the cards.

Last edited:
Soldato
"Starting at" prices, so more than likely the more expensive ones come first, the rrp ones later.

Yet Nvidia can launch at the RRPs fine,and doesn't appear to even have a UK pricing tax either.

So basically they are doing a fake RRP then. So wait months to essentially get a RTX4070 16GB for the same street price,with the same rasterised performance,worse RT,worse "value added features",worse power consumption,larger physical cards,etc. I wonder if the actual streetprice of most RX7700XT cards will be well over £450? Or is the RRP,only from one retailer,at one specific time,if you look in the right direction and hopefully in a few weeks you might get a card?

They repeatedly overprice everything. RX7900XT was overpriced,Zen4 was overpriced,their AM5 motherboards are overpriced,etc. Then invariably the price starts collapsing after that as the stock stays on the shelves. But by then the games promo will be over,and Nvidia might just include one so they will probably not be better value even then.

So why was there a delay for this GPU for nearly six months? If they wanted to price it like an RTX4070,then they should have launched it at the same time then?

If they actually priced stuff well and made sure they stopped playing games with pricing like this,they would get more sales.

No wonder their marketshare is under 20% on desktop. But We ArE nOt ThE bUdGeT bRaNd right?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not sure what market share has to do with being a budget brand. Especially in the gpu space where a lot of the reasons for choosing one brand over the other make almost no sense. People still bang on about amd drivers in 2023 like this is ati back in 1998, and that's one big factor in their sales, and obviously rampant tribalism is also a factor.

Nvidia also overpriced and put cards up a tier, they embarrassed themselves with the with 2 "4080" variations then backtracked on it and their excuse about it "having 2 cards with the same name was confusing" was farcical considering the 30 series had different iterations of cards, you had a 3080 10 gig, a 3080 12 gig then mix in the LHR cards, somehow people's brains didn't explode over those, but apparently they would over 2 different alleged 4080's.

GPU market is becoming more of a joke as the years roll on.

Soldato
Not sure what market share has to do with being a budget brand. Especially in the gpu space where a lot of the reasons for choosing one brand over the other make almost no sense. People still bang on about amd drivers in 2023 like this is ati back in 1998, and that's one big factor in their sales, and obviously rampant tribalism is also a factor.

Nvidia also overpriced and put cards up a tier, they embarrassed themselves with the with 2 "4080" variations then backtracked on it and their excuse about it "having 2 cards with the same name was confusing" was farcical considering the 30 series had different iterations of cards, you had a 3080 10 gig, a 3080 12 gig then mix in the LHR cards, somehow people's brains didn't explode over those, but apparently they would over 2 different alleged 4080's.

GPU market is becoming more of a joke as the years roll on.

Because ever since AMD made that stupid comment,they have been losing dGPU marketshare. They continually overprice most of their cards,launched months late,launched without "value added features" their competitor has and so on. How many of use who couldn't give a rats arse about "amd poor drivers" or "value added features" end up buying Nvidia,because AMD ends up overpricing their cards.

During the Pandemic,Nvidia at least made sure there was a steady stream of RRP RTX3060TI and RTX3070 cards. What did AMD do? The non-budget brand priced the RX6700XT nearly £60 more for reference models. Then totally ignored the UK market,because they never sold RRP models through a UK retailer. So you ended up paying nearly a £100 more if you wanted an RX6700XT.

They want to charge Nvidia pricing for worse products "We ArE nOt ThE bUdGeT bRaNd" and want to be seen as a "PrEmIuM bRaNd",then at the same time sell lower margin console parts.

Then "we are a premium brand" AMD,despite gaining decent laptop CPU and APU marketshare over Intel,appears to have lost even more laptop dGPU marketshare. Probably because they overpriced the RDNA2 mobile parts,so none of their laptop companies could be bothered.

Whats even worse RDNA2 was more efficient in laptops.

Last edited:
Soldato
To be fair it's about being patient and not buying if you don't think it's value. I bided my time and bought an FE 3060Ti, sold it for a decent price and bought a 6950XT for £600, I felt I got a decent buy both times.

Soldato
The only thing that’s premium with AMD products these days is the price.

Exactly. If they launched before Nvidia,or even a few weeks after and had brought out their "value added features" at the same time maybe they could make some argument.

But instead they launch 5 months later,and the street price of the competitor products have dropped. Have no stock,so that 5 months,means even longer, so 6 months.Then because they have hardly any stock,the stock that is available will be price gouged by retailers or their partners. Then launch without most of the features they said they would have a year ago,so months later for that and so on. They couldn't even get FSR3 into Starfield either.

It sounds like their pricing strategy is from Bob the chancer at the local market.

To be fair it's about being patient and not buying if you don't think it's value. I bided my time and bought an FE 3060Ti, sold it for a decent price and bought a 6950XT for £600, I felt I got a decent buy both times.

I never thought they would pull another Vega 56/64 type move again. That was another its an RRP but not an RRP move.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wonder if the stock problem is worldwide or just the UK as AMD have never really cared about the UK, I watched a MLID vid the other day where he was saying there was a tonne of stock.

Caporegime
Because ever since AMD made that stupid comment,they have been losing dGPU marketshare. They continually overprice most of their cards,launched months late,launched without "value added features" their competitor has and so on. How many of use who couldn't give a rats arse about "amd poor drivers" or "value added features" end up buying Nvidia,because AMD ends up overpricing their cards.

During the Pandemic,Nvidia at least made sure there was a steady stream of RRP RTX3060TI and RTX3070 cards. What did AMD do? The non-budget brand priced the RX6700XT nearly £60 more for reference models. Then totally ignored the UK market,because they never sold RRP models through a UK retailer. So you ended up paying nearly a £100 more if you wanted an RX6700XT.

They want to charge Nvidia pricing for worse products "We ArE nOt ThE bUdGeT bRaNd" and want to be seen as a "PrEmIuM bRaNd",then at the same time sell lower margin console parts.

Then "we are a premium brand" AMD,despite gaining decent laptop CPU and APU marketshare over Intel,appears to have lost even more laptop dGPU marketshare. Probably because they overpriced the RDNA2 mobile parts,so none of their laptop companies could be bothered.

Whats even worse RDNA2 was more efficient in laptops.

The AMD store never was sorted after brexit kicked in, why that was I've no clue. During the pandemic iirc most of their production allocation was console centric, I remember some headline about microsoft\sony asking amd to "help out" so likely that any pc stuff got put on the back burner and it went mostly to console chip production.

That's probably one reason why their market share in the gpu space is so low, that period of time amd cards were a scarcity, then you had the weekly rushes to a certain other site to try and get a hold of an FE card. It was either that or take it up the ass buying an over the top priced partner card. Around early 2020 amd gpu market share was around 30%, it sunk pretty quickly.

Had they not had those console contracts there might well have been more amd availability, but most of their eggs seemed to be in that basket.

Back
Top Bottom