• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any Reason to buy intel?

Soldato
Hello,

My first post on this forum after lurking throughout the past few weeks and many heartbreaking product launches.

Wanted to ask, is there any reason to buy an intel CPU at this stage?

I was hoping to get a 5800x and a 6800xt and have failed on both accounts, no surprises there. But I'll admit I was fairly dissapointed by the 6800xt reviews that came out today, especially the performance gains offered by SAM seem to be non existant in some games, so it doesn't seem worth locking myself into the AMD eco system.

So anyway back to the 5800x, getting hold of one of those seems to be a far and distant dream, yet a few online retailers are currently selling the:

Intel Core i9 10900KF

for £440 a smiliar price to that of the 5800x performance wise, they seem to be pretty much on par, with the intel cpu sometimes coming out ontop in multicore performance.

Is buying an intel cpu at this time a terrible idea?

cheers.
If you game at 1440p or above then you won't notice a difference in fps.

Soldato
This is the best move, even the £95 3100 is perfectly fine for a few weeks. You won't probably lose more than £30 selling in the New Year.
I did try to get a 3300x for £125 which would have been a brilliant cpu for the money but they were sold out aswell. But it goes to show how good some of the ryzen3s are in terms of value.
3100 would probably get you by too but doesn't have quite the firepower the 3300x has.

Associate
The 10400F is far ahead of a 2600X it trades blows with the 3600 and beats it if you use a z490 it's also only 16% slower at 1080p in games than a 5600X at less than half the price.

What are you basing that on? Cinebench scores seem about the same, 3600 scores better.

Regardless, Intel "new king of the low end" is beyond hilarious!

Soldato
What are you basing that on? Cinebench scores seem about the same, 3600 scores better.

Regardless, Intel "new king of the low end" is beyond hilarious!
Well everyones raving about the 5600X but intel offered a 6/12 core CPU in the 8700K which is just 10% slower in games and cost only £50 more than this over 3 years ago yet people say intel is poor value.

Also the 10400F holds its own in games even against a 5600X which costs over twice as much. If the 5600X was an Intel CPU and the 10400F was AMD then everyone would be saying to get the 10400F as not worth paying double for overpriced Intel.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm yea.

Intel followers used to be all about the 1080P gaming results as they test the cpu. Well at 1080P that Intel can only be described as Butt hurt.

At 1440P and especially 4K its more and more about the GPU hence why the difference in fps narrows.

However i feel its only fair that we continue to follow Intel's original lead and only compare cpu ability at 1080P.

Caporegime
if you cut through the bs most of the intel chips are on par or with the new amd cpus. so if you a gamer they are fine. the problem is there is no stock of amd cpus and gouging. so yes plenty of reasons still to buy them.

Associate
if you cut through the bs most of the intel chips are on par or with the new amd cpus. so if you a gamer they are fine. the problem is there is no stock of amd cpus and gouging. so yes plenty of reasons still to buy them.

If you cut through the BS, intel are now behind. But yes, until supplies levels re sorted out, it's something of a moot point.

Soldato
AMD just for Pcie4 for faster drive speeds now and in future as well as the drop in cpu upgrade later if you don't go top tier. It doesn't matter if this doesn't impact things now, you are covered. The only reason now to go Intel is if you get a great deal, want fast boot times into Windows or don't like spending extra on fast RAM. The drop in upgrade is a huge plus point for AMD. Cross generation from 6/12 to 16/32 depending on budget and needs with just a cooler removal.

Soldato
What socket are you on now? If you’re on a Z390 you might be better off just sticking a 9900k in there and skipping a gen. Im in a similar boat and dont see a point in either upgrade.

Caporegime
If you cut through the BS, intel are now behind. But yes, until supplies levels re sorted out, it's something of a moot point.

people will say that but for gaming there is literally no difference and currently the same performance on a intel chip in gaming is actually cheaper because of gouging and low stock.

Permabanned
people will say that but for gaming there is literally no difference and currently the same performance on a intel chip in gaming is actually cheaper because of gouging and low stock.

Theres a difference because of how Intel behaved in the past and how they milked thier consumers dry and instead of trying and innovating got caught with thier pants down rolling in a shed of money. Remember the forced socket changes every year? You say there is no difference there is a huge morality difference.

Intel are scum corporate commander, And AMD actually deserve to be rewarded for innovating and trying. Now AMD are in the driving seat going for 5nm and Intel are backporting 10nm to 14nm lol. :D

Associate

Yet for the last year or so intel and intel fanboys have been shouting about intel still being best for gaming, because under artificial constraints (1080p etc) there was a small difference in frame rate.

I agree, it's unlikely most people will notice any difference. Hopefully the stock situation is temporary - launches have gone nuts this year.

Soldato
Wow, the price on that 3600 is shocking! I bought mine for £150 just a few months ago. That's horrific pricing.
AMD have jacked the price up on some of their previous gen CPUs so it doesn't make 5000 pricing look as bad as it actually is especially at the lower end.

Yet for the last year or so intel and intel fanboys have been shouting about intel still being best for gaming, because under artificial constraints (1080p etc) there was a small difference in frame rate.

I agree, it's unlikely most people will notice any difference. Hopefully the stock situation is temporary - launches have gone nuts this year.

While Intel were faster most people still recommended ryzen 3000 as it was cheaper and performance was close enough that other than 1080p you wouldn't notice but now the roles are reversed and AMD is ahead while Intel is cheaper but still close enough in performance to make it a solid option.

Last edited:
Associate
My 14nm 10850k keeps the study warm, and has similar performance to a 3900XT.
A 5900X will beat an 10850k on multi-core workloads, but not by much, plus it's more expensive, and harder to get hold of.

Associate
I've also been lurking for a while watching these 'launches'. I'm in a better position because I do have a working machine. Looking at your desired CPU/GPU I guess you're looking for a gaming machine. So my view would be:

- If you play games, and have a servicable GPU, but need a CPU this year, your only choice is Intel. If you're worried about PCI-E 4.0, most Z490 boards claim 'compatibility' so you'll have the option of dropping a Rocket Lake in towards the end of next year if it becomes an issue. You would be opting for 2nd best for gaming in edge cases but Ryzen 3000 was very popular when it was in the same boat so people seem happy.

- If you don't have a servicable GPU, you're stuck anyway. The 20x0 series are still at full price and the generational leap is so big it would be tough to swallow paying full price for something hugely inferior to what you know exists now and will be available within 4-5 months. If you look at the numbers published by another retailer, the 30x0 and 6xx0 cards are coming through at such a trickle we're probably looking at March/April before you can actually buy a current gen GPU especially since as soon as the pre-order queues are cleared and orders open up the pent up demand will likely send us back to square one for a few cycles.

Personally I'm waiting - my 6700k will see me through until spring, my GPU is probably fine for most of next year, so I now have several months to decide if I'm sensible and get a 5600x, or jump up to a 5900x because bigger numbers :D .

Soldato
I've also been lurking for a while watching these 'launches'. I'm in a better position because I do have a working machine. Looking at your desired CPU/GPU I guess you're looking for a gaming machine. So my view would be:

- If you play games, and have a servicable GPU, but need a CPU this year, your only choice is Intel. If you're worried about PCI-E 4.0, most Z490 boards claim 'compatibility' so you'll have the option of dropping a Rocket Lake in towards the end of next year if it becomes an issue. You would be opting for 2nd best for gaming in edge cases but Ryzen 3000 was very popular when it was in the same boat so people seem happy.

- If you don't have a servicable GPU, you're stuck anyway. The 20x0 series are still at full price and the generational leap is so big it would be tough to swallow paying full price for something hugely inferior to what you know exists now and will be available within 4-5 months. If you look at the numbers published by another retailer, the 30x0 and 6xx0 cards are coming through at such a trickle we're probably looking at March/April before you can actually buy a current gen GPU especially since as soon as the pre-order queues are cleared and orders open up the pent up demand will likely send us back to square one for a few cycles.

Personally I'm waiting - my 6700k will see me through until spring, my GPU is probably fine for most of next year, so I now have several months to decide if I'm sensible and get a 5600x, or jump up to a 5900x because bigger numbers :D .
Why is Intel the only choice ? There are plenty of amd chips out there to buy as well I'm not a fan boy of either but would like you to clarify

Back
Top Bottom