1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else not find things funny?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Amplus, Jan 11, 2019.

1. billysielu

Capodecina

Cyberchondria by proxy.
    Don't ask the internet to diagnose you.

2. dirtybeatfreak

Mobster

Lee Evans. If you find him funny, you're normal and just didn't find the above funny. If not, then yes, you're a misery guts! :)

3. gort

Wise Guy

Comedy is subjective shocker!

4. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Nah his standup is ****

5. timmeh

Mobster

Micky Flanagan and Greg Davies are always good for a laugh.

Flanagan's Delhi Belly sketch had me in stitches

6. robfosters

Caporegime

Lee Evans and Micky Flanagan both crack me up. Evans is just crazy and Flanagan has mastered mocking foreigners, women etc just to the point where it isn’t called out as racist or sexist.

7. 200sols

Wise Guy

Most modern comedy is crap.

8. Amplus

Associate

Really don't see what's funny about Greg Davies. Is him pulling a confused funny face all the time meant to be funny??? He annoys me actually

9. Werewolf

Commissario

People have different senses of humour.

I can't stand half the "comedy" on TV and barely get a smile out of some stuff my friends find hilarious, but at the same time I can be laughing and they're not.

10. dl8860

Mobster

I love Taskmaster, I'd classify myself similar to OP in that not much makes me laugh out loud, but Taskmaster makes me giggle like a schoolgirl sometimes. It's a brilliant concept putting funny people in scenarios where they can just be organically funny themselves. And the ribbing between themselves and Greg and Alex is great too.

11. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

arghhhh - the big bang theory is just for sheep that follow the crowd it isn't funny, neither is friends it's another "sheep" show.

i find the best way to prove your sense of humour isn't broken is by how much you can make other people laugh throughout the day with one liners and jokes, etc.

if nobody laughs at your banter then chances are you are broken

12. dirtybeatfreak

Mobster

Lee Evans standup is ****?? You're a misery guts!!!!! :p:p:D

13. krooton

Capodecina

I get more lols out of some youtube channels than tv these days.

Pitch Meetings in particualr are tight! :D

14. Rroff

Man of Honour

Eh I find Big Bang Theory amusing mostly though I gave up about 1.5 series back, not constantly laugh out loud funny but for the most part fun with at times good humour.

I've often found things other people are sitting their losing their **** over less than funny though - some of the often named classic show for instance I find largely trying too hard with the odd really good line every 1-2 episodes.

15. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

I wouldnt call big bang theory funny. I'd call it light entertainment.

Anyone who is laughing out loud is obviously faking it, or needs to be treated by the people in white coats immediately!

16. new boy

Mobster

Could be worse, there is a guy I know who laughs hysterically at absolutely anything, even things that are not in anyway funny...

God that guy gets on my nerves... I have to actively filter what I say around him to try and avoid saying anything that might make him break down with laughter.

17. Amplus

Associate

For me the only comedy that I think is funny is either comedy you can relate to like the Inbetweeners, The Office or comedy that is realistic like OFAH, Curb your enthusiasm. That's why Peter Kay is so popular as you can relate to what he says.

Most of the comedies now are just completely unrealistic hence not funny

18. Scort

Mobster

I find loads and loads of stuff funny - actual real life 'LOL' funny; but it is mostly comedy from years ago, when the PC/Social Justice/Whatever 'ism' **** hadn't become so prevalent.

I grew up in the 80s and 90s, so love the old classics such as Blackadder, Bottom, Hale and Pace, Fast Show, Harry Enfield, Red Dwarf, Father Ted etc etc etc. I have recently started to listen to and watch a lot of Jim Davidson stuff again, and the things he comes out with often give me a good laugh, same goes with old Bob Monkhouse stuff. George Carlin, Bill Burr, Kevin Hart - there's simply loads of stuff out there that does make me laugh.

Stupid things in movies make me laugh too - recently watched the film Blockers, and there's a bit where limo driver pukes - I honestly replayed that bit about 8 times before the Wife told me off. I had tears in my eyes, and even typing about it is giving me a wry smile.

Some recent comedy and films seem to try too hard to be funny, and lose the subtlety that made some of the past greats, great. I also find that a lot of new stuff often focuses on the narcissistic nature of social media life, and as I have no involvement in that sort of thing (at the ripe old age of ~38), it gets no laughs from me.

You mention that you're not depressed and have a lot of friends - but are you actually happy? I think that might account for at least some of how you feel - take that with a mahoosive pinch of salt mind, as I'm no expert (I work in IT, not people's heads). It's either something like that, or you might just be seeing the modern, watered-down we-don't-want-to-offend-anybody rubbish that's around now. Maybe go back through a few decades and watch some of the stuff from the 90s.

Comedic value is hugely subjective though, the embellished fanciful stories a comedian tells, might have others rolling is the isles, but will plain confuse others. It's swings and roundabouts I guess.

19. Nick1881

Sgarrista

You're joking right? I had the utmost displeasure of seeing Milton Jones live, I didn't laugh the whole way through, I found his jokes very predictable and not funny at all. Other people were laughing and I couldn't work out what was wrong with them.

20. Mr.E.

Wise Guy

I went to the cinema to see Three Bilboards, there was a girl in front who was laughing out loud and the slightest humorous comment.