Anyone in to old tv shows?

Associate
I tried OFAH the other day after not seeing it for 20 years, it's not aged well. Really cringe worthy now. :( Used to enjoy it.

I feel quite the opposite, I think there is something very comforting about watching OFAO, it has such an innocent charm to it and some of the best characters ever written.

Caporegime
Some great shows mentioned.

If you haven't seen Smith and Jones Christmas special - 'Home Made Xmas Video' then you really should. It's on YT. :D

I watch that every year. Bloody brilliant.

Man of Honour
Very true. The episode South Africa comes to mind.

One of the first jokes... South Africa Tourist Office. Go up stairs and turn white.

Still love it though. Bought the dvd set a while back. Got the signed one. :D

Controversial opinion time: The Goodies is consistently funnier that Monty Pythons Flying Circus. MPFC rarely had an episode that was funny throughout. Normally it was a single sketch that was superb and the rest was a bit filler-ish.
Nose vole? I see no nose vole??

Associate
Was watching the Water Margin the other day can remember that being on BBC2 in the 70's , anyone remember another Chinese series with a pig man and a monkey man on a flying cloud .

Soldato
Mythical series Catweasle is being shown on the Talking Pictures channel on Sky. It is a bit late now as they are on ep 7 of series 2, but no doubt will cycle through from the first series eventually if you keep an eye on it. This was first broadcast in 1970-71, so just a bit too early for me to have registered, assuming I actually ever was plonked in front of it, and to my knowledge has hardly ever, if never, been repeated since the likes of multi channel satellite TV became a thing. Stars Geoffrey Bayldon of Worzel Gummidge Crowman fame. Catweasle is often raved about by the likes of Mark Gatiss, so it must be something to it. I am currently sky boxing it and have only watched the first episode so far, but if you are one for nostalgic kids TV programs then it does seem to be worthy of a look.

Soldato
Was watching the Water Margin the other day can remember that being on BBC2 in the 70's , anyone remember another Chinese series with a pig man and a monkey man on a flying cloud .

Ah Monkey (Magic).

Personally i preferred this to Water Margin.

Also used to watch

Time Tunnel
Land of the Giants
Logan's Run
Happy Days
Mork and Mindy
Lavern and Shirley
Taxi
The Six Million Dollar Man
Alias Smith and Jones

+ Plenty more but can't remember off hand. :)

Associate
Ah Monkey (Magic).

Personally i preferred this to Water Margin.

Also used to watch

Time Tunnel
Land of the Giants
Logan's Run
Happy Days
Mork and Mindy
Lavern and Shirley
Taxi
The Six Million Dollar Man
Alias Smith and Jones

+ Plenty more but can't remember off hand. :)

Hehe thats it . could never figure out if the holy person was male or female , just googled it and it was a girl who sadly died at age 27

Soldato
OP
Lots of good shows being mentioned. I've seen a lot of them. I agree about Jeremy Brett being the best Sherlock Holmes on TV. I bought the dvd box set of that show, it was worth it!

I made a list in 2017 of all the shows I've got. I'll keep in to the British based shows. I've bought more since then though;

Film (or series spin off films);

Are you being served
Kes
The boys in blue
The likely lads
George & Mildred
Man about the house
The beiderbecke trilogy

These were the tv series;

Are You Being Served?
Dad's army
Dear Mother.. Love Albert
- This was Rodney Bewes next comedy after whatever happened to the likely lads. It has some loose references to show. You'd have to be a Bewes fan to get through it.
Don't drink the water - This was a sort of continuation of on the buses character blakey, were he takes his sister to Spain.
Executive Stress - Series 1 to 3 - The main star of this sitcom was Penelope Keith, and worked along side Geoffrey Palmer and then Peter Bowles for the last 2 series.
George & Mildred
Grace & Favour
- A continuation of Are you being Served.
Jimmy Clitheroe "That's my boy!" - I used to listen to the radio show version of this on the BBC.
Lucky Feller - One of David Jasons early comedies.
Man about the house
No that's me over there
- An early Ronnie Corbett comedy series.
Odd man out - I think this was John Inmans show after Are you being served.
Only when I laugh
Only fools and horses
On the buses
Pardon the expression
- Arthur Lowe stars in this. It's actually a spinoff of the character he played on Coronation Street, Leonard Swindley. It also starred Betty Driver who played Betty from coronation street for years.
Rising Damp
Robin's Nest
Second Thoughts
- Good series starring Lynda Bellingham, James Bolam, and also brought the Belinda Lang (of 2 point 4 children) and Julia Sawalha (and her sister Nadia) to our screens.
Sherlock Holmes Collection
Slingers Day
- This was the follow up to Trippers day, but featured Bruce Forsyth (his only situational comedy role), after Leonard Rossiters death.
Sorry! - starring Ronnie Corbett
Take A Letter Mr Jones... Another of John Inman's shows, this time co-starring with Rula Lenska and a young Miriam Margolyes.
The Bounder - This stars Peter Bowles, as well as George Cole - better known as Arthur Daley.
The fall and rise of reginald perrin
The likely lads collection
The paul temple collection
The Prince of Denmark
- Ronnie Corbett starred in this along side Rosemary Leach. I think this was a forerunning for "No That's me over there" as it they both star in that along the same lines of this.
Trippers Day - This was the original before Slinger's Day and starred Leonard Rossiter, until his death.
Up the elephant and round the castle - Starring Jim Davidson.. kinda cheaply made but it had a few laughs.
Home James! - another starring Jim Davidson, a bigger budget on this series and stars a young Sherrie Hewson
Waiting for God - kind of a slow series about 2 older people living in a retirement home. Starring the brilliant Stephanie Cole, along side Graham Crowden.

I got more but I think thats enough for now :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Little bit older, but The Invaders is one that I go back to every few years and watch again. Another guilty pleasure would be The Tomorrow People, along with stuff like The children Of The Stones.

One of the best of 80's comedy shows for me was Hi-de-Hi, an absolute classic. From the forgotten 80's, The Paradise Club.

Soldato
Re: Sherlock: I think it depends who you saw first. Mr Holmes will always be Basil Rathbone for me though Jeremy Brett is far more complete as a series as well as being very good.

Monkey! Remember that one too slightly odd in a way only japanese tv series can be. "Monkey" is a classic chinese childrens story thats as famous in the East as say Little Red Riding Hood is in the West. The monk Tripitaka was a real person who travelled to India to fetch Buddhist scriptures to China.

Grave & Favour - A continuation of Are you being Served.

Grace & Favour. As in Grace Bros.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Re: Sherlock: I think it depends who you saw first. Mr Holmes will always be Basil Rathbone for me though Jeremy Brett is far more complete as a series as well as being very good.

I like them both. But Brett as played it the best during the ITV multiple series. It's well worth picking up the box set.

Grace & Favour. As in Grace Bros.

Oops, yes I made a typo. I'll re-edit it, I can't have young Mr Grace in a grave already!

Back
Top Bottom