• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Soldato
OP
Good man, for too many people the game in gaming has become chasing fidelity, FPS and benchmarks. Most of the chat on CP77 was about peformance not the game itself, which spoke volumes. Ultra settings are just a way to get you spend more money by tanking performance for no noticable graphical improvement, while making you think you're missing out on something when you dial them down a bit.
100% nail on the head

Soldato
I really only got the 3070FE to replace my 1070Ti because the notification popped up and I was able to buy it. Could have happily carried on with that card for ages tbh. Didn't join the stock discords looking to jump on the first thing that came in stock at any price. Just be patient for the card you want at the price you're willing to pay.

Soldato
I gave up on buying a new GPU, thinking I'd pick up a GTX 1650 Super or GTX 1660, and bought a quite old one when those were out of stock - a R9 Nano. Good bit of 2015 tech, runs Witcher 3 pretty well. Very "patient gamers" of me.

Associate
I was mentally prepared to give up on this whole situation and stay on 1070 for next 1-2 years. I've got 3060 Ti FE at MSRP and I am happy about it. But it happened mostly due to lucky timing of drop. I am pretty sure most of games in the next few years will be perfectly playable on 1060 and 1070, which are the most popular cards on Steam.

However, there is good point that inflation to major currencies is "finally" coming. Consider buying diversified inflation hedges now, do not sit on fiat currencies and wait for prices to come down. It may never happen.

Caporegime
I was mentally prepared to give up on this whole situation and stay on 1070 for next 1-2 years. I've got 3060 Ti FE at MSRP and I am happy about it. But it happened mostly due to lucky timing of drop. I am pretty sure most of games in the next few years will be perfectly playable on 1060 and 1070, which are the most popular cards on Steam.
At 1080p or 1440p/30FPS, probably. I wouldn't think they'd be capable of anything higher when talking about next-gen games.

Soldato

However, there is good point that inflation to major currencies is "finally" coming. Consider buying diversified inflation hedges now, do not sit on fiat currencies and wait for prices to come down. It may never happen.
Nice one on the 3060! My gtx1070 was on its knees once I got a 4K monitor... it would play BF4, but thats like a 2014 game? Game at 1080p and there us absolutely no need to join the ampere/navi circus.

Soldato
I recently received a bonus from work which I thought I would put into a 3080 or 6800XT but none to be found so gave up the idea of buying now.
I even half considered putting the money I already saved along with my bonus and just getting the 3090 but gave myself a slap.

Associate
Tried buying here on launch day, **** poor effect to say it couldn't cope with the traffic alone, i can understand not having the stock but traffic limited is poor.
Bought elsewhere and been playing with a 3090 since the 28th September.
A zotac granted but that's nearly 4 months of gaming and can't complain so far.
I thought trying to nab a new amd would be tempting fate so bought a 10850k to tide me over, all hunky dory with that so far.
4k monitor, again all the purported new incoming ones here never materialised so bought elsewhere for next day delivery.
I guess it depends where you splash your cash.

Soldato
5700xt here, knock down a couple of settings and run AAA @ 1440p / 60fps+ - can't really tell the difference between Ultra and High generally other than ******** framerate. A decent variable rate refresh monitor made much more of a difference.

Soldato
personally i think it more likely once lockdown ends and ppl will have to pay everything back,plus higher taxes, i can see a glut of used cards hitting the 2nd hand market, its more likely that stock arriving.

Soldato
5700xt here, knock down a couple of settings and run AAA @ 1440p / 60fps+ - can't really tell the difference between Ultra and High generally other than ******** framerate. A decent variable rate refresh monitor made much more of a difference.

Thats what I've been doing. Now sitting on normal settings with image sharpening on my Vega 56 in Warzone sitting around 125+ fps in places. Quite like the AMD image sharpening. At least it doesn't tank the performance like in my RTX 2060.

Soldato

Indeed, dollar printing has gone bezerk, hyperinflation ahoy!

fredgraph.png

Associate
Just gone and cancelled my 3080 order of 11 weeks. Sod it. spent 200 notes on a temp GPU that will now become my permanant GPU and im going to skip this gen and just say **** you nvidia. AMD would have had some pennies but completely the same. just massive demand. well, im done, im out. I hope all the scalpers get shafted over night and everyone does the same.

Caporegime
Yarp, I'm done with this now. Not even going to bother checking alerts for some time.

It's all 3070s for £700 and, lol-tastically, 6800 (non-XT) models for £950 I saw yesterday.

Nope. Just so much nope. This hobby sucketh ass now.

Associate
I had been looking for a 3080fe for a while, not even thought about the 3090fe because of the price but the stock situation has been crazy.
I've been getting alert after alert on the discord/twitter channels and every now and then the Founders edition becomes available, and gone in seconds!

So looking at the second hand market I stood to get over £100 above the value of my 1080ti from a few weeks ago, so it was this, the fact that the 3080FE was like gold dust, the hot topics about vram on the 3080 cards and the opportunity to get the 3090 Founders Edition at MSRP just made my mind up. Yes it's a crazy price but this thing is just awesome and I'm very pleased with this card.

Back
Top Bottom