• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Associate
60Hz to 120Hz feels like a big jump and same for 60Hz to 144Hz, but 120Hz to 240Hz doesn't feel like as big as a jump and same for 360Hz.

So I've read, and imagine, but you know you gotta try it ;) I mean my monitor does it, I neeeed it ;)

Now my difficulty with newer titles is going to be either lower graphics settings over high FPS, that is the question ;) haha

Associate
Throughout my time gaming I've never cared too much for graphics. I've always been performance over visuals. However now I know I have a slim to nothing chance of getting a card, all of a sudden I am craving being able to play some of my games on ultra high settings. Can't wait to play Bannerlord.

I've made an error by buying 1440p 155hz monitor thinking I would easly upgrade my old 1080 to 30xx series.

Associate
Ahha gotcha, naa I didn't skim it, just was a little confused what you mean't, also my system was not designed for gaming, it was designed for my work first and of course as it's my main system I will be using it for some flight sim and some gaming too, but it's main task is for work.

If it was for gaming as a main task, it would have a 3080 or 6800xt in it at max, even the 3080ti are not worth it for gaming this time and anyone buying a 3090 for gaming only well needs their head checked and same for the 3080ti sadly this time. BUT due to shortages people have probably been buying the higher card than they really wanted to, so can't blame them too if they need a working pc and have no other gpu for now, also I feel these people that purchased a 3090 or 3080ti are going to keep their gpus longer than normal so overall will make a good buy if they keep the card for a couple of generations and then they may look at an upgrade so 3090 and 3080ti people next sensible update is for the 5090 and 5080ti or the gen after, IF the performance increase and value is right.

Yeh I get you. If I was just gaming, I would go for a 3070 and be happy. But I do a lot of blender / substance 3D modelling and texturing, so an AMD card isn't an option (far too slow) and the 3070 only having 8gb of ram is a pain.

Unfortunately the choice right now is to go for a 3080 for £1500, or a 3090 for £1900. Or get a 3070 for £900 and just put up with the memory limitations.

Or go without a GPU. But that means I will have to also put a stop to my new business before it even gets off the ground.

Stressful times. Doubly frustrating when you see photos of people with multiple cards in boxes.

Associate
I just bailed on an auction for a used 3090 (ended up going for £1800), because I realised in the last few moments... I don't think the card will actually fit in my current case.

I do have a riser extension so I could mount the card externally but... not ideal.

So I may end up stuck with a 3070 anyway, unless I also buy a bigger case. Nothing is ever easy lol.

Associate
The automotive industry faces shortages because the main demand is moved towards someone else who buys more chips.
Also, they buy older processes, definitely not 7nm and impossible 5nm.

Your theory also doesn't explain why there are currently no shortages in the CPU market.

This could mean that other components on the graphics cards' PCB could have some type of supply issue but again this is very hard to prove in this way.
Dude, again, Google!
The shortage isn't a physical material shortage, its due to a massively unbalanced supply and demand equilibrium

Caporegime
Dude, again, Google!
The shortage isn't a physical material shortage, its due to a massively unbalanced supply and demand equilibrium
Why would demand for (new) cars have spiked over the last year-and-a-bit during the pandemic? More people wfh and in fact travel being banned for part of that time...

Associate
Why would demand for (new) cars have spiked over the last year-and-a-bit during the pandemic? More people wfh and in fact travel being banned for part of that time...
The demand increase isn't solely due to the car industry, they're experiencing the byproduct of increased demand due to new gpus, new phones, pretty much every electronic device. All of which have has massively increased sales during the past ~15 months.

Associate
Don't know if anyone will find this interesting on the chip shortage, https://youtu.be/FP_g-as29x0
Not only is there a shortage of capacity and materials but Nvidia and AMD have to order months ahead, if they under estimate demand then it takes months to increase supply to meet demand, one of the issues with modern just in time manufacturing

Soldato
Saw my local big retailer who only sell onsite, now has 6900XT for $1650. Prices are dropping. They still have liquid cooled cards for a high of almost $2800, but prices are coming down.

I laughed they were selling GTX 1660 for $400+ ! Ouch.

Still waiting it out. Will just buy other parts and other hobbies till prices.get somewhere sane.

Associate
I have a1080ti,I did have the 3080 pre-ordered at one point but I cancelled it as it was taking ages. Worse decision ever, I just want a 3080ti so so badly
1080Ti? Luxury! I have a 1060! Spent a small fortune building "the last PC I will ever need". I even decided to go for a latest generation GPU instead of my usual cost saving tactic of one generation below. Never saw all this coming of course!
So, my 1060 trundles along giving quite playable performance at 1080p. Next thing will be a monitor upgrade but no point even looking at those till I get my hands on the 3080!

Associate
I have a1080ti,I did have the 3080 pre-ordered at one point but I cancelled it as it was taking ages. Worse decision ever, I just want a 3080ti so so badly
I'm in the same boat. Had a 3080 ordered but before I realised just how bad the supply shortage was I cancelled it to wait for a 3080 Ti. To say I'm angry about the state of affairs right now would be an understatement. For all I know I could have had a 3080 by now.

My plan was to make a full system upgrade when the 12th generation Intel chips come along as well but god knows what supply of parts will be like when it comes to release :(

Soldato
I'm in the same boat. Had a 3080 ordered but before I realised just how bad the supply shortage was I cancelled it to wait for a 3080 Ti. To say I'm angry about the state of affairs right now would be an understatement. For all I know I could have had a 3080 by now.

My plan was to make a full system upgrade when the 12th generation Intel chips come along as well but god knows what supply of parts will be like when it comes to release :(

Just buy an RX 6900XT

Associate
And I only just realised that my lounge PC would need to have a GSync compatible GPU if I do decide to get a GSync TV to stream to.

It shouldn't be a problem with modern screens as most now support both Freesync and Gsync. I could use freesync on my Radeon for now and then wait until GTX 1050 prices come back down.

Associate
What would people say a good price for a 3060 is?

And if I were to buy a 3060 would I then not be able to buy a 3080 in the future as I know they’re trying to do a one card per customer kinda thing?

I'm interested in the answers to these questions too. I got a 3060 in the recent forum deal but I would have preferred a 3070. Am I now unable to use future deal codes? Even if, for example, I put the 3060 on sale in the member's market for less than I paid for it?

Back
Top Bottom