• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Soldato
I know my brother has basically given up for now and is holding out with his 2060. My uncle in law was also interested, and he is also in a similar position where even though he'd like an upgrade (he's a heavy UW FS2020/Racing Sim guy) he cannot justify £1000+ for the upgrade over the 2060 he has as well.

Caporegime
I know my brother has basically given up for now and is holding out with his 2060. My uncle in law was also interested, and he is also in a similar position where even though he'd like an upgrade (he's a heavy UW FS2020/Racing Sim guy) he cannot justify £1000+ for the upgrade over the 2060 he has as well.
I don't think anyone should be surprised that mid-range buyers wouldn't shell out a grand for an upgrade.

I just don't see prices getting back to normal for years. £400-£700 is what the mid-range costs, now. The only winning move is not to play.

Permabanned
^ Yep.

I'm with a 1070 and have absolutely no intention/hope of upgrading until well into next year at the earliest, but it wouldn't surprise me if I wait longer. I usually wait 3+ years to get a console for some exclusives, so not bothered there yet either. I'll just stick to playing my backlog and the odd new-ish titles with settings lowered (well, I don't bother with "ultra" anyway) and I don't mind dropping to 1080p from my native 1440p if necessary. So I'm fine now and hopefully my PC holds up for a while to come. However if this situation keeps up for 2+ years more, I may be switching to console (PS5) as my main platform and just use PCs for certain types of games e.g. top-down strategy, and lots of various classics that I fairly regularly replay - maybe that'll keep my PC spirit partly alive, possibly to be fully revived sometime later lol.

I won't pay much attention to the "sales" this holiday season. No way prices drop enough, so bah, humbug.

Soldato
I don't think anyone should be surprised that mid-range buyers wouldn't shell out a grand for an upgrade.

Basically yeah... I don't think I've stumped up more than £350 for a GPU, ever.

I'd like to double the performance of this old 1060... but if prices were more inline with 2015, I should be able to do that for nearer £250 at this point in time. I don't want it enough to pay double, so I guess I'll just wait and hope it lives a long life.

Associate
oh gosh the prices are insane!

£1700+ for a premium 3080ti

£2000+ for a 3090

The sole reason is because of the miners and the scalpers adding to it, they have decimated the market, this situation has also ruined the upcoming new tech cards and consoles, companies will think hard and add double prices unless they flood the market with GPUs and products, something that will never happen.

we will have to wait and see what plans thy have to combat the miners and how to deal with the situation, in the meantime people with cards that are 3-5 years old will have to do.

Shocking

Soldato
this situation has also ruined the upcoming new tech cards and consoles, companies will think hard and add double prices unless they flood the market with GPUs and products, something that will never happen.
Guessing the stupid GPU's is also a huge reason why the PS5 has been sold out for almost a year due to PC gamers swapping to console gaming because of the high gpu prices

Permabanned
Do they have plans to combat miners? I have a feeling that a sale is a sale.

I don't think those sites have a plan to combat miners, a sale is a sale on those sites.

But I don't think those sites are doing anything wrong, because people should be able to sell their products for what ever price they want. It is a difficult one.

I reckon if you are looking for an upgrade, maybe look into buying an OcUk full system.

Soldato
The only people who lose out on waiting for the mythical MSRP are those waiting. They're mythical for a reason! Btw what happens when in a year eth mining dies out from PoS change & there's no return to said MSRP (lower, sure, but not MSRP) - due to inflation, continued shortages, continued increases in costs of both R&D and BOM? Then you'll still have to pay extra and have no hope for a price reduction from end-of-mining and can't even mine back its value during downtime. You can already see this shift happen based on pricing for post-2020 releases, particularly the Tis from Nvidia and the 6600/XT from AMD.

On a brighter more amusing note.. here's a "giveaway" by Asus... they're giving away the chance to BUY at MSRP... LOL! :cry:

https://twitter.com/ASUSUK/status/1454080109066039296

ljt

ljt

Soldato
The only people who lose out on waiting for the mythical MSRP are those waiting. They're mythical for a reason! Btw what happens when in a year eth mining dies out from PoS change & there's no return to said MSRP (lower, sure, but not MSRP) - due to inflation, continued shortages, continued increases in costs of both R&D and BOM? Then you'll still have to pay extra and have no hope for a price reduction from end-of-mining and can't even mine back its value during downtime. You can already see this shift happen based on pricing for post-2020 releases, particularly the Tis from Nvidia and the 6600/XT from AMD.

On a brighter more amusing note.. here's a "giveaway" by Asus... they're giving away the chance to BUY at MSRP... LOL! :cry:

I lost out nothing waiting for msrp 3080fe thanks!

It was the only sensible option because they aren't worth any more than what the msrp is.

If I hadn't of acquired one then no problem, I'd have just managed with what I had.

And if the new prices are ridiculous going forward then I'll just abandon the hobby like I have done in the past with other hobbies that started overpricing their goods

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Basically yeah... I don't think I've stumped up more than £350 for a GPU, ever.

I'd like to double the performance of this old 1060... but if prices were more inline with 2015, I should be able to do that for nearer £250 at this point in time. I don't want it enough to pay double, so I guess I'll just wait and hope it lives a long life.

Was away with family yesterday and we went to a Halloween disco event thing for the kids. As it was in a shopping centre I couldnt help but beeline to a window passing a CEX and it had a 1060 for £265. :o

Soldato
I lost out nothing waiting for msrp 3080fe thanks!

It was the only sensible option because they aren't worth any more than what the msrp is.

If I hadn't of acquired one then no problem, I'd have just managed with what I had.

And if the new prices are ridiculous going forward then I'll just abandon the hobby like I have done in the past with other hobbies that started overpricing their goods
You're waiting for MSRP because presumably you want to buy it for MSRP, no? But if you pay extra, and it mines in the downtime and it makes up even its scalped cost, then how have you won by waiting to pay MSRP? Unless you didn't have enough money for it in the first place you actually lost out on both time with the card & the profit from mining.

Soldato

thanks for the heads up on the dumb asus uk tweet, I gave them my mind there. Most idiotic thing ever and not sure why OC3D Tom has got himself involved with these clowns.:mad:

Last edited:
Caporegime
You're waiting for MSRP because presumably you want to buy it for MSRP, no? But if you pay extra, and it mines in the downtime and it makes up even its scalped cost, then how have you won by waiting to pay MSRP? Unless you didn't have enough money for it in the first place you actually lost out on both time with the card & the profit from mining.

MSRP cards dropped today. As they did on October 19th so you're not going to mine back several hundred pounds in 9 days. I think the fact you are paying over £500 for a mid range 3070ti and a grand for a 3080 ti which isn't even the top card anymore is what people are miffed about.

Maybe I am getting old but I can remember getting my 9800 XT for £350. That was the top card in it's day. Even with inflation that would be a £500 card today.

I guess people will just have to hope that the crypto bubble will burst otherwise PC gaming will cease to exist.

Back
Top Bottom