• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

koh

koh

Associate
I've been waiting to get 6800 XT but prices still too high for me. Plenty appear to be in stock yet still prices nudging £1200. I've waited so long now to replace my RTX2080 having to wait longer for price closer to £800-900 doesn't seem such a drag.

Associate
I'm still on my GTX 970! Got fed up having no chance of bagging a card for anything like MSRP that I just got a PS5 at launch. Still ready willing and able to hand £650 over for something decent, but I'm not getting scalped for a low end card with £250 added for lolz. Probably just end up getting a whole new system later in the summer to get a card at cost.

Soldato
I'm still on my GTX 970! Got fed up having no chance of bagging a card for anything like MSRP that I just got a PS5 at launch. Still ready willing and able to hand £650 over for something decent, but I'm not getting scalped for a low end card with £250 added for lolz. Probably just end up getting a whole new system later in the summer to get a card at cost.

You can with Nvidia FE drops

Man of Honour
I've been waiting to get 6800 XT but prices still too high for me. Plenty appear to be in stock yet still prices nudging £1200. I've waited so long now to replace my RTX2080 having to wait longer for price closer to £800-900 doesn't seem such a drag.
RTX2080 is comparable to 3060ti so you're not really in a position where you need to upgrade yet, I would pass on this generation and see what turns up in 2023.

Permabanned

It is better now to wait for the new generation RX 7000 series..

Soldato
Yeah I would stick with the 2080 still performs well , and try to get next gen on release if AIB are still high maybe AMD will do UK drops this time

Soldato
A lot of people are locked into multi year fixed contracts, I don't think this will suddenly change overnight and we'll have thousands listed on eBay.

I'd bet most people aren't, a lot of people take no notice of things like this and don't switch. On top of that you have that clown Martin Lewis telling people to stick on the energy cap price last Autumn while also telling people the cap would increase massively in April. At the time there were multi year fixed cost deals available from Octopus et al.

A huge rise in energy costs can only make mining less/not profitable and therefore help gamers - how much is yet to be determined. Used prices are already down.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
The energy crisis has made me shift from getting a new GPU, was due to get the 3050 or intel gpu (I dont game) but with energy prices going well beyond the 50% increase, I am reconsidering my entire computer system and energy usage and will probably go for a mini pc or intel nuc latest 2022 gen APU series ie the ones that use no more then 25-30 watts.

Current PC rigg can use 80-100 watts on average, also going to go round the house and sharpen any areas I can improve and reduce on be it loft insulation, led lights etc.

I use to laugh at my uncle who sits in the cold with a scarf and hat in the living room and leccy switched off..... now he is laughing at me:o

Soldato
I'd bet most people aren't, a lot of people take no notice of things like this and don't switch. On top of that you have that clown Martin Lewis telling people to stick on the energy cap price last Autumn while also telling people the cap would increase massively in April. At the time there were multi year fixed cost deals available from Octopus et al.

A huge rise in energy costs can only make mining less/not profitable and therefore help gamers - how much is yet to be determined. Used prices are already down.
I hope people with nice fixed deals don't get the planned rebate. It would only be fair.

Associate

Or you could have ended up with terrible timing on a previous deal and then suddenly any new deals were off the table because energy firms were going under left, right and centre, like we had. If I'd had the foresight I would paid an early exit charge and moved but the chances are we'd have switched to a company that went bust only to be moved on to a variable rate on the cap again. So now were sat on the cap like numpties. Besides, the offers when they did return were 80-100% more expensive than the cap, which we'd have been paying over the odds for over several months until the new cap came, which by that point we would only see price parity between the fix and new cap. Thus it would have been more expensive on a fix, at least in our region. It's a gamble deciding what's going to happen to tariffs in 12 months time.

So long as crypto prices recover, I don't see mining going away anytime soon. Still far too much money to be taken.

Soldato
Or you could have ended up with terrible timing on a previous deal and then suddenly any new deals were off the table because energy firms were going under left, right and centre, like we had. If I'd had the foresight I would paid an early exit charge and moved but the chances are we'd have switched to a company that went bust only to be moved on to a variable rate on the cap again. So now were sat on the cap like numpties. Besides, the offers when they did return were 80-100% more expensive than the cap, which we'd have been paying over the odds for over several months until the new cap came, which by that point we would only see price parity between the fix and new cap. Thus it would have been more expensive on a fix, at least in our region. It's a gamble deciding what's going to happen to tariffs in 12 months time.

So long as crypto prices recover, I don't see mining going away anytime soon. Still far too much money to be taken.

Your 1st mistake was taking a deal on with a an early exit charge, 2nd mistake - Variable tariff.

My "new" supplier went bust literally the day the my switch went through, I still managed to get on a fixed deal, I simply circumvented their processes (ie they tell you to sit tight and not do anything so does Martin Lewis), so I did not wait for the new supplier taking over from the bust supplier to just plonk me on the price cap. I set up my own 2 year fixed deal and then a couple of emails later told them what I had done and would not require the "price cap tariff account" they were setting up for me.

The thing is it's not a gamble in this case because a) There's no risk involved as yiou are not tied into a deal and b) We already knew last Autumn that the prices cap was again going through the roof in April '22.

Elec prices have already made mining less profitable, after the April rise it will be even less profitable, no-one is saying mining is going away "any time soon" - but any rise in energy costs will have some effect as it has already.

Associate
Why would it?

Why should people be punished for being smart?

The rebate is to help people who will really struggle with the increasing cost of energy bills. It's not really a solution at all, just throwing money at it to delay the problem and making it worse in the long term, but there we are. Not getting given something for free by the government is not being punished.

This whole thing has, today actually, changed my decision on getting a high-end graphics card. The difference between "good enough" and "I can impress people online with this" will now cost way more in the long term than just the 400 quid on the cost of the card.

I'm also starting to get increasingly gloomy about the prospect of the economy over the next 3-5 years. An increase of the interest rates to 0.5% shouldn't be causing the level of concern that it seems to be today. I can't think of many things that will have its demand destroyed by a stagflating economy in serious trouble than high-end graphics cards.

Soldato
the flood gates for used gpu in uk should open soon, with most loosing money mining, dependant if they paying elec. looks like elec tariffs will hit around
35.790p per kWh for fixed deals in april.:eek:

Soldato
The rebate is to help people who will really struggle with the increasing cost of energy bills. It's not really a solution at all, just throwing money at it to delay the problem and making it worse in the long term, but there we are. Not getting given something for free by the government is not being punished.

This whole thing has, today actually, changed my decision on getting a high-end graphics card. The difference between "good enough" and "I can impress people online with this" will now cost way more in the long term than just the 400 quid on the cost of the card.

I'm also starting to get increasingly gloomy about the prospect of the economy over the next 3-5 years. An increase of the interest rates to 0.5% shouldn't be causing the level of concern that it seems to be today. I can't think of many things that will have its demand destroyed by a stagflating economy in serious trouble than high-end graphics cards.

£200 over 5 years? what an absolute joke, and FROM 2023...

The £150 CT to be refunded this year apparantly.

This country is going down the toilet fast, the whole enconomy is one big grift and has been for years. I would definitely bank and things getting worse economically, as they have been for 30 years if not more, cost of living has absolutely sky-rocketed and shows now signs of slowing down.

Back
Top Bottom