Anyone know when do they replace the current line up of AV Receivers?

Caporegime
OP
Well it’s still reliant on an unreleased firmware so don’t hold your breath lol

yaayuh’s eArc workaround further up this thread should do the trick on the current models though.

You mean plug the xBox to the TV?

That's fine for the Xbox but I have a PS5 coming, and then my Fire 4k as well and I don't have that many HDMI ports on the TV so it's not really a solution I want to stick to for more than 1 off.

Soldato
If you don’t mind having two cables running up to the tv then it’s not really an issue. Or get one of the converter boxes and tuck it away somewhere.

It’s not pretty but it’s not a complete failure. If you can live with the above then you should be good for 5 years at least imho
But don’t quote me on that :p

Associate
I'm going to buy the Yanaha with hdmi 2.1 ready for my eventual purchase of a new hdmi 2.1 oled

I have an old amp with an LG 55 2.0 hdmi at the moment. But the amp needs replacing first I think. It's ancient.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any advice for me? I just want the cheapest AVR that does 5.1, 4k/60 and EARC. Prepared to go second hand. I don't really need HDMI 2.1 right now on the AVR. I would also like to have one ideally that can adjust the lip sync to go to minus numbers rather than only being able to add further delay. I've had issues with that before and it's really annoyed me that you can't dial it back and am led to believe that on some you can.

Caporegime
OP
Any advice for me? I just want the cheapest AVR that does 5.1, 4k/60 and EARC. Prepared to go second hand. I don't really need HDMI 2.1 right now on the AVR. I would also like to have one ideally that can adjust the lip sync to go to minus numbers rather than only being able to add further delay. I've had issues with that before and it's really annoyed me that you can't dial it back and am led to believe that on some you can.

The Sony 1080 does that i think. It's about £450, not sure if there are cheaper ones though.

Soldato
Cheapest? Probably look for a 2nd hand Yamaha RX-V583 or V585. Update either to the latest firmware which adds eARC. I've seen the V583 recently going for less than £250 through now due to seeming shortages of many AVR's then approx £300 maybe more typical.
You'll pay near £500 for the Sony 1080 which is holding its price amazingly well due to the fact it is still the 'current' model.

@Raymond Lin I would advise you to get a 9.2 receiver to future proof yourself if you ever wanted to try Atmos 5.1.4.

I would compare Atmos (for your hearing) to OLED (for your vision) in that once you tried it's hard to go back. ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Cheapest? Probably look for a 2nd hand Yamaha RX-V583 or V585. Update either to the latest firmware which adds eARC. I've seen the V583 recently going for less than £250 through now due to seeming shortages of many AVR's then approx £300 maybe more typical.
You'll pay near £500 for the Sony 1080 which is holding its price amazingly well due to the fact it is still the 'current' model.

@Raymond Lin I would advise you to get a 9.2 receiver to future proof yourself if you ever wanted to try Atmos 5.1.4.

I would compare Atmos (for your hearing) to OLED (for your vision) in that once you tried it's hard to go back. ;)

Make sense. The ones I have been looking at are all 9.2 anyway as they are all Atmos so that's not a problem there. My issue is the dodgy chip from last year and the lack of stock.

Soldato

Interesting that the Yamaha models there you list are lower down the numbering in terms of the name, than my "current" (as in currently owned and in use) old Yamaha RX-V765? I was under the impression that my AV receiver can a) not do 4k pass through of any signals and b) does not even have ARC let alone eARC. This is where you tell me I can update the firmware and it becomes some god of an AVR for free. :) No? Damn.

Soldato
Interesting that the Yamaha models there you list are lower down the numbering in terms of the name, than my "current" (as in currently owned and in use) old Yamaha RX-V765? I was under the impression that my AV receiver can a) not do 4k pass through of any signals and b) does not even have ARC let alone eARC. This is where you tell me I can update the firmware and it becomes some god of an AVR for free. :) No? Damn.
:D I'm afraid not. For the esoteric Yamaha numbering system the first number gave you an idea of the classification, so in your case the number '7' is quite high up in the range.

It's the last two numbers that indicates the year; so '65' is quite a bit less than '83' so it's a good few years older and won't have features like Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 and Wifi which the RX-V583 has.

Yamaha have changed it again now. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I am just torn between waiting for a new model from Denon/Marantz or Sony that seemingly never coming and just settle.

The wise thing is to wait, but with world wide silicon shortage this may be a while.

I would say wait. AV Receivers with first generation tech always have problems. And this is coming from a guy who has purchased a Denon 3700H recently. If I had to do it again, I would have kept my old receiver for another couple of years.

Soldato
Just bought a new Marantz SR5015 7.2.

Was torn between going for this or the 9.2 but realistically I doubt I'd ever go to that level of enthusiasm. I was mightily impressed by my 2.1 PC speakers when I bought them new so I think I'll be similarly impressed with my 7.2 system.

Back
Top Bottom