Anyone know when do they replace the current line up of AV Receivers?

Soldato
I read that earlier, but my argument is that how does one read that and say it applies to every set up on the planet in each of our rooms?

or just trust the smart guys who designed it?

I turned it on/off and prefer it on.

It's black and white it's right there resolution of filters and shows what the lower end eq does and screws up high frequency

Caporegime
OP
Look at post 4

And as I said, I read that earlier. (On post 55 here when I said I read that earlier, that’s the thread I read and I read the entire thread.)

And as I said, I have an anti-mode re: bass.

and I ask again, how do you know what my room sounds like?

What I am trying to say or get to the bottom of is that I am hoping you are simply assuming mine sounds bad because a few randoms online say so? I’m trying to rack my head around to believe you and these people rather than trust my own ears. Between the 2 of us here, I’m the one who has tried it in my room with my set up.

So, are you just assuming?

Please to say “read post #5”, as I said, I read that entire thread, and a few others I found on Google.

Soldato
And as I said, I read that earlier. (On post 55 here when I said I read that earlier, that’s the thread I read and I read the entire thread.

And as I said, I have an anti-mode re: bass.

and I ask again, how do you know what my room sounds like?

Doesn't matter how your room sounds observe what the blue is 1khz and up.

That's great if you have antimode bit irrelevant to avr room correction on the lower end Denon avr with room eq disabled at 1khz and up

Caporegime
OP
If you want to deny poorer resolution and the "jaggies" on HF it screws it up compared to other versions.

It's right there in blue compared to the higher end models

I am not denying what the graph shows and I know what the graph is (not speaker out but processing), but I am asking politely that earlier when I was at work I said I will come home and try between it on/off, and I prefer it on…so…whether it does anything “useful”, it’s doing something I like?

just compared it again, it’s definitely better with it on than off.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheapest? Probably look for a 2nd hand Yamaha RX-V583 or V585. Update either to the latest firmware which adds eARC. I've seen the V583 recently going for less than £250 through now due to seeming shortages of many AVR's then approx £300 maybe more typical.
You'll pay near £500 for the Sony 1080 which is holding its price amazingly well due to the fact it is still the 'current' model.

@Raymond Lin I would advise you to get a 9.2 receiver to future proof yourself if you ever wanted to try Atmos 5.1.4.

I would compare Atmos (for your hearing) to OLED (for your vision) in that once you tried it's hard to go back. ;)

I went with a Yamaha RX-V485 in the end for about £200 second hand. I managed to sell my Yamaha RX-V765 for about £150. I've got the Virgin TIVO box and a Wii wired into the LG OLED direct and then the TV is wired via earc to the amp.

I never touch the amp. It sits in a cupboard and runs pretty cool. It turns on with the TV and everything is done on the TV remote. I get multi channel 5.1 via the built in Plex, Netflix and prime apps on the LG and it all looks and sounds ace. It's so simple for the family to use this way with hdmi all into the TV earcing out to the amp, which I like and think is the way forward. I also get the OSD on hdmi2 no problem so can easily switch to that to fiddle with the amp if I want.

I'm happy with 5.1. It's a compromise setup with very shallow wall mount KEF T series all round, paired with a BK sub. To me it sounds great and having been without surround for the last 6 years it's nice to have it back.

Caporegime
OP
I went with a Yamaha RX-V485 in the end for about £200 second hand. I managed to sell my Yamaha RX-V765 for about £150. I've got the Virgin TIVO box and a Wii wired into the LG OLED direct and then the TV is wired via earc to the amp.

I never touch the amp. It sits in a cupboard and runs pretty cool. It turns on with the TV and everything is done on the TV remote. I get multi channel 5.1 via the built in Plex, Netflix and prime apps on the LG and it all looks and sounds ace. It's so simple for the family to use this way with hdmi all into the TV earcing out to the amp, which I like and think is the way forward. I also get the OSD on hdmi2 no problem so can easily switch to that to fiddle with the amp if I want.

I'm happy with 5.1. It's a compromise setup with very shallow wall mount KEF T series all round, paired with a BK sub. To me it sounds great and having been without surround for the last 6 years it's nice to have it back.

Im happy with 5.1 too. May be in a few years when I refresh my speakers (not the sub) I will get 9.2 with it. My B+W are old, had them almost 20 years now, but I’m happy with them. I’m quite easily pleased because it’s just something better than a sound bar and I’m happy with that.

When the next 8k/60 comes along, that’s when I’ll refresh the whole thing.

Last edited:
Soldato
I sat down and put the beginning of Top Gun on the other day once I had it all setup and cranked it. I just sat there grinning. Mrs thought I was mental. I've been suffering with a mixture of TV speakers, Soundbar and 2.1 for the last 6 years. To have 5.1 back is just bliss.

Caporegime
OP
I sat down and put the beginning of Top Gun on the other day once I had it all setup and cranked it. I just sat there grinning. Mrs thought I was mental. I've been suffering with a mixture of TV speakers, Soundbar and 2.1 for the last 6 years. To have 5.1 back is just bliss.

Completely different but I watched the section in Your Name where the Astroid hits. You get the music, you get her running footsteps, you get the astroid falling through the atmosphere (wind) noise, then silence....and then Booom, with the noise coming through front to back as the shock wave on screen passes through you.

Subtile but fantastic.

Soldato
Not sure of the revisions but 3700 has the good one 2700 and below low end room eq.

Think best one is xt32 multi or something

Having listened to a fair few EQ systems, I think all of Denon and Marantz's EQ (even their higher end offerings) are crap.

Much prefer Dirac et al.

When I had my Denon and Marantz, I actually half the time preferred just time aligning everything and EQing my subs myself with a miniDSP2x4HD and then just ensuring a decent calibrated stereo image from my L&R and calling it a day rather than dealing with XT32 et al.

It just caues such a 'tinny' anaemic sound.

Back
Top Bottom