anyone used to play on Wireplay ?

Soldato
Has it really been that long? I feel old.

Small world though, Facebook threw me a "people you may know" a few weeks ago based off a petrolhead mutual friend, who turned out be someone I played against on Wargasm (anyone remember that game?). I do miss the days of HL and Total Annihilation. I kind of seperated myself from the HLCCL and the community when EQ came out.

I won a Wargasm game and Tshirt in a Wireplay competiton :)

Associate
What alias did you use m8?

I was always on the 1v1 servers till the early hours. I went by the alais {AL}][CeMaN and then changed to Sabotaj later on. I was such clans as COG, RV, AL, Z, LL.

Good times for sure.

:)
Bit late replying here haha.

I used Slinky Wizard and MsIsle I think. Was a long time ago eh?! I remember getting my ass kicked by you on a regular basis. Bloody railgun!

Soldato
That was the modem to have, managed to get a sub 100 ping with that baby:)

I was never that lucky with my pings. I went from 350-400 pings with whatever crap onboard modem came with my parent's 'Tiny' PC to 160-180 with my Diamond Supra Express (bought from Dixons lol).

Ah... It was a fun time! Disconnecting from the cheap/free dialup server to the Barrysworld or Wireplay servers for clan matches just for those extra 20ms savings!

Associate
Ran up a massive ISDN bill not realising I had not dialled into JOLT and spent the weekend connected, WP was an awesome community with some real characters :D

Played for A&D in RA2 and [XTC] along with a few others along the way but these two were the best group of lads I have had the fortune to play with :) [XTC]Stylee / 3-Style

Associate
Used to play on Wireplay. Oh the memories. I was in INC! I believe when I played TFC and when I played CS I was in M2S.

Associate
Used to play kingpin a lot in the league running round with pinhead from hellraiser skins on was so much fun :) also was a gamepro lol in the helprooms :D

I haz 4090!
Don
Used to play on Wireplay. Oh the memories. I was in INC! I believe when I played TFC and when I played CS I was in M2S.

Damn, I was mates with a couple of lads from M2S. Bombay Roll and Bubble'n'Squeak. Bom went to play for D2C didn't he? He asked me if I wanted to trial for them to take his place when he was leaving.

...yes, I was that good. :D

Associate
Damn, I was mates with a couple of lads from M2S. Bombay Roll and Bubble'n'Squeak. Bom went to play for D2C didn't he? He asked me if I wanted to trial for them to take his place when he was leaving.

...yes, I was that good. :D

Haha. Yeah.

Bom, Coco, Nuski, T-Bag, Raging Bull - There was one more I can't remember his nickname. Something along the lines of Stan or similar.

Think I was the only one with 56k (Diamond Supra). Goddamn LPBs

Soldato
I remember thinking my 300ms ping was reasonable :D

Hated trying to sneak onto the internet at night hoping the dial up sounds didn't wake my parents and get royally told off, but games like TFC, CS, Half life death match and quake 2 were all totally worth the risk :D

I was over the moon when I discovered I could turn the volume off on the modem :D

Associate
Guys - this is so cool. Just found this thread. I was the Marketing/Community Manager for Wireplay (my name is James) from the early days until after it got sold to Gameplay. Best working days of my life - especially when we did the Club Captain meetups and the 'i 'events with Multiplay UK that have now turned into the massively successful Insomnia event.

If you are proper hardcore Wireplay then you might even remember Quakeadelica at The Ministry of Sound where I flew Dennis 'Thresh' Fong over to the UK to take on our champ. Our guy got owned. I'm still in touch with some of the other guys in the team and still love to remember the good old days of 56.6 dial-up and the Quake ping obsession. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/306431.stm

Soldato
Guys - this is so cool. Just found this thread. I was the Marketing/Community Manager for Wireplay (my name is James) from the early days until after it got sold to Gameplay. Best working days of my life - especially when we did the Club Captain meetups and the 'i 'events with Multiplay UK that have now turned into the massively successful Insomnia event.

If you are proper hardcore Wireplay then you might even remember Quakeadelica at The Ministry of Sound where I flew Dennis 'Thresh' Fong over to the UK to take on our champ. Our guy got owned. I'm still in touch with some of the other guys in the team and still love to remember the good old days of 56.6 dial-up and the Quake ping obsession. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/306431.stm
I was at i99, in Bicester. Drove down from Newcastle with my brother to meet my clanmates and had a great time. There's another thread on here with photos from that event!

Here's the other thread (page 3 for photos ooer!): https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/capture-the-flag-quake-on-dialup-years-ago.18474715/

I knew there was a few ex-wireplay people on there (from the other thread) - but there's more than I thought! Played in the leagues under Guardian, and I used to spend a lot of time aliasing on the Q2DM1 duel servers as Pookie Bear, PB and a host of others. Loved the competitive Q2 leagues though. Only ever had one clan tag on Wireplay which lasted more than a week, CoG. Was a founder member with my brother (Pendragon) and two brothers from Wolverhampton (Dachande and Tichinde). Good times. Moved to the wider net to join AbFab, then ran off to play MMOs for the rest of my life :D

Last edited:
Associate
Wow, i99!! I was at that! Was such an awesome time.

I must admit I do miss the Wireplay gaming days, playing Quake2 was such an enjoyable experience.

Although, I do still enjoy playing games online.

Pandy

PS, Rasta.. do you love your Blasta?

Caporegime
Pretty sure I used to play on Wireplay yeah, it was a WW2 flying game where you had British, Russian, American, German and Japanese planes all fighting each other. Good times!

Air attack?

Back
Top Bottom