Anyone Using an Asus DSL-AC68U

Associate
Hello all - signed up a few days ago after finding this thread (googling for problems with the router).

Same experience as many. On the 2050 firmware I used the feedback facility to report issues, uploading the dsl log, and went through several changes of settings as per the advice, but still kept getting dsl disconnects several times per day. Went bak to the Openreach modem (using this as router only) and everything was rock solid for a week. The speeds (Infinity 1) which had dropped during all the disruption got back to about 37/7 (as good as I'd ever had).

Tried this latest firmware and got disconnects within 2 hours. With default settings the speeds jumped up to about 40/7.5, too high probably. There may be some magic set of settings, but finding/trying them messes everything up so much its just not worth it. Have gone back to the OpenReach modem and will sit tight for a bit.

As posted above the routing side is fine, WiFi strength is improved, but the modem.....oh dear. I've reported to Asus, and llooked on their forum but not expecting too much. The "n" version seems to have the same issues, maybe using the same hardware/firmware.

Got a very expensive router (minus one ethernet port) at the moment. Would send it back if I could face going through all the aggro again but I can't!

I'm getting the same problems with disconnections between 1 and 5 a day mostly at night. I have also changed 2 or 3 settings on the advice of Asus but roughly the same and the newest firmware had no effect.

I am holding out for a while longer then will go the same route as you with the Openreach modem.

Associate
Yeah at least swapping back to the openreach is easy enough (advanced/wan/dual wan/primary wan) - one setting to toggle. Losing the wan port is more of a pain as my four were all spoken for. Most of my disconnects would occur between 9pm and 4am - not sue why, but zero disconnects at any time with the Openreach. The way I look at it is for the router only function I have overpaid, but everything is working well (port forwards, VPN, FTP, SAMBA,DLNA) - I'll probably keep it and if stable firmware turns up (or working settings) its a bonus. Wishing I'd just gone for an AC router now, but at least everything is stable.

Associate
Mine was the same with most disconnection over night and may be one or two during the day. Not sure why that would be.

Leaving the home hub 5 modem plugged in until at least my line stats drag themselves back to where they should be.

The HH5 connection has been stable for a week now

Associate
The HH5 has more problems than that. I find that it generally locks up for wifi use if its been on >1-2 weeks. Also the DSL side of it goes a bit wonky after a week or two where pages only part load. Giving it a reset fixes it for another week or so. That's the reason why I wanted to ditch it in favour of the Asus.

Its a shame I missed out on having the separate Openreach modem, but they dont ship them now for new connections as the HH5 has a VDSL modem in.

Associate
Hi,

If you do a tracert to bbc.co.uk for example the first hop where you get an IP address (some kit wont respond) should give you a good indication, for example:-

C:\Users\Bill>tracert bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [212.58.246.103]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router.asus.com [192.168.1.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 12 ms 83 ms 12 ms 217.41.216.109

There are three levels of Interleaving – off, low and high, If Interleaving is applied on low your latency will be increased by around 8ms and 16ms on high.

When my line was on fastpath, hop 4 reported 4ms delay. Now that a low level of interleaving been applied its now reporting 12ms. Hope that helps :)

Best Regards

Bill.

Thanks Bill

I ran tracert and get about 30ms latency on hops 4-7....so I guess I have a high level of interleaving on my line. I have no idea if that's always been the case or if this is just down to the ASUS modem.

As far as the ASUS VDSL goes, I updated to the new firmware last week and while I'm still getting the early morning DLM disconnects, my line speed has settled at 32.3Mbs down and 7.1Mbs up. So it's still connecting slower than the OR modem (37M/6.5M), but at least the line seems to be stable now.

I'm going to persist with the ASUS modem a little longer to see if the 5am DLM disconnects actually stop after the full 10days. After that I'll re-try the OR modem with unlocked firmware for comparison. It'll be interesting to see if the OR modem has any impact on the tracert results.

Associate
Following the links in this thread I unlocked/updated my Openreach modem yesterday. Not had time to delve yet, but hoping I ight get some clues about the settings being used.

It does seem to have had a slight but definite improvement on my down speed (37 to 38+). Will keep an eye on it. When I have time I'll see if if shows up anything useful that might apply to the DSL-A68U.

Associate
I've had mine for a few weeks now and it's been great. Getting maximum sync speeds and decent speedtest results, no dropouts (had it running for 2 weeks solidly until I upgraded the firmware) and really nice wifi range and speed.

3801697692.png

d6MhriEk.png

Associate
Hi guys. I'm new to the forums and found this thread through google. I bought the DSL-AC68u and recently got Sky Fibre Pro but haven't braved plugging it in. Was thinking of returning it to PC world and getting the RT version instead. I'm not sure whether ASUS would get these issues sorted out eventually but I am willing to wait for one box solution but I don't want to keep this box and later realise ASUS couldn't sort it out firmware wise for it to be useful.

Is everyone having issues with these routers or a select few? My current sync speed is 79/19 with Sky Hub but the wireless performance is terrible. I'm still in the first 10 days of being live but would love to know whether I should stick or return.

@Makara any paticular settings you have to get that stability?

Soldato
Asus DSL-AC68U Dual Band Wireless AC1900 Gigabit ADSL/VDSL
Just bought this for £158 incl free first class delivery from a high ranking flee user :D

gotta admit its a steal price and brand new aswell guy only has 2 left :D

Associate
Asus DSL-AC68U Dual Band Wireless AC1900 Gigabit ADSL/VDSL
Just bought this for £158 incl free first class delivery from a high ranking flee user :D

gotta admit its a steal price and brand new aswell guy only has 2 left :D

You paid £3 more than the tax dodging super site, and their refund policy is second to none for extra peace of mind :confused:

: Edit, Sorry didn't see the DSL part, ebay one will either be the Non dsl version or dodgy.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
You paid £3 more than the tax dodging super site, and their refund policy is second to none for extra peace of mind :confused:

They are #245 from the tax doging super site which i am assuming you mean?

#158 is an amazing price, i have to assume its a stolen batch :p

Back
Top Bottom