Anyone Using an Asus DSL-AC68U

Associate
Im still down to 47Mb from 69 after testing the last official firmware, but I've been on the ESNP beta and stable for 13.5 days now. This is by far the longest its ever stayed synced. Im hoping that DLM will give me a boost tomorrow after 14 days of being stable.

Its a good sign from the beta firmware though. At this sync speed it seems to have resolved my issues. Will be interesting to see if it crawls its way back to to ~70Mb mark over the next month or so. On the HH5 it usually took about 6 weeks to recover from a hit like this, with big delays in improvements at the start.

Associate
Still waiting for DLM to take positive action on my line, must have a high caution count. Over 7 days of uptime currently, no FEC errors rising abnormally, CRC errors normal.

Associate
It's still not looking like Asus have really fixed the issues and to me all that's happened is that they have masked over the reported errors...

That's not what I was told by the engineering team, nor would I have pushed it to you guys if I suspected that to be the case.

I've been away over the last few days so haven't seen any updates - is the issue that people are still not getting sufficiently high bandwidth compared to other modems?

Associate
That's not what I was told by the engineering team, nor would I have pushed it to you guys if I suspected that to be the case.

I've been away over the last few days so haven't seen any updates - is the issue that people are still not getting sufficiently high bandwidth compared to other modems?

still getting disconnections on adsl2+ connections, only people with fibre connections benefited from the beta.

Associate

Jim - In my specific case, because I tested the last official firmware and was hit by 4 disconnects in 24 hours I was DLM'd overnight to 47Mb down from 69. This means my SNR is up at about 10.5 instead of the usual target 6. This would make the line more stable anyway.

The very next day after the above DLM intervention, the ESNP beta was released and I installed that. I havent had any disconnects since then, but the line should be more stable anyway due to the previous DLM intervention. It does appear to be more stable though as older firmwares were still unreliable even at these sync levels.

Historically after I have been DLM'd to about 40 Mb sync when testing new firmwares and reverted back to the HH5 it takes about 6 weeks to regain the lost sync speed. It usually goes something like this;

- 2 weeks solid connection at the ~40Mb level
- Get a bump to about 50Mb and spend another 2 weeks there
- Over the next couple of weeks it bumps me a few Mb every 3 days

So I am hoping that DLM will start to increase me soon as its been 13 days with no disconnections now.

This is the main frustration people have had with testing the various firmwares and tweaks from Asus. It only takes one day of multiple disconnections to get slowed dramatically by DLM and it takes 6 weeks to recover from it.

Hopefully this firmware has done the trick for my line, but its really going to be another month before I have a full idea about it.

Associate
This is the main frustration people have had with testing the various firmwares and tweaks from Asus. It only takes one day of multiple disconnections to get slowed dramatically by DLM and it takes 6 weeks to recover from it.

Hopefully this firmware has done the trick for my line, but its really going to be another month before I have a full idea about it.

Yes, I get that - totally. It's unfortunate that it made testing so much more tricky but I'm glad we managed to make progress - and hugely appreciative to everyone who took a punt on testing it.

The feedback on the new firmware does seem positive, but yes, we'll need see what happens for people like you to hope that sync speeds slowly rise. If DLM is disabled then that's great, and I guess there are further testing opportunities to tweak SNR if people want to. My priority has always been to get it stable, which hopefully we've now done.

Soldato
I think there is something wrong with ESNP.
as my line is perfect but its showing no possessive results. DLM does not seem to be bumping my speed back up to 79999 sync :/

if its not ESPN doing it its G.INP one of those 2 settings are the only settings i have changed in the past 2 weeks..

getting no crc according to the routers information but im not being moved back up to full speed.... very strange.

mjw3Kqc.png

Soldato

The proof that the Asus has been made to work properly is for it to be returned to fastpath from having been switched to interleaved by drm. Correct me if I am wrong but no-one here has yet to see this actually occur?

Associate
I think there is something wrong with ESNP.
as my line is perfect but its showing no possessive results. DLM does not seem to be bumping my speed back up to 79999 sync :/

if its not ESPN doing it its G.INP one of those 2 settings are the only settings i have changed in the past 2 weeks..

getting no crc according to the routers information but im not being moved back up to full speed.... very strange.

mjw3Kqc.png

I can see crc errors 0 for 8 days ... hmmm
can you go at network map (main page) and click the clients button ... then press refresh ... is scanning and finding your network devices normal or is stucked?
thanks

Soldato
I can see crc errors 0 for 8 days ... hmmm
can you go at network map (main page) and click the clients button ... then press refresh ... is scanning and finding your network devices normal or is stucked?
thanks

Nope, not stuck finds all current active ones unless i power a few more devices on
currently showing

2 wired / 6 wireless....

its strange i might put the old firmware back on and see if i get my speed bumped up by DLM and if it does, it means this firmware is messing around with DLM by suppressing something that the DLM reads to make changes.

Associate
The proof that the Asus has been made to work properly is for it to be returned to fastpath from having been switched to interleaved by drm. Correct me if I am wrong but no-one here has yet to see this actually occur?

On cue after 14 days of solid connection DLM bumped me up again this morning. Back up to 59Mb and changed from Interleaved back to Fastpath.

its strange i might put the old firmware back on and see if i get my speed bumped up by DLM and if it does, it means this firmware is messing around with DLM by suppressing something that the DLM reads to make changes.

I think you may need to be more patient. DLM often takes 14 days of a solid connection for me to get an initial improvement after a big drop. If its only been 8 or 9 I'd give it another week before declaring it broken

Soldato
I bought the DSL-N66U yesterday and have a problem. I'm on ADSL2 20MB at the moment but will be on fibre next week.

If most of the bandwidth is in use on my connection, e.g. downloading a 100mb+ file, everything else will lose it's connection to the Internet like steam and Spotify and Web pages take an age to load. This will be across all devices like tablets and phones on the wifi.

Has this issue cropped up and does anyone have a fix? I've seen that QoS can be enabled, but my old dgn2000 netgear router handled things fine.

Last edited:
Associate
Nope, not stuck finds all current active ones unless i power a few more devices on
currently showing

2 wired / 6 wireless....

ok thanks, was a bug and was wondering if was effected you, but all is fine if it counts the clients

No do not change firmware to mess up your connection if this one going well

I don't have have experience with British VDSL DLM but i would say give a manual reboot after about a week (at morning) if no changes with your line till that time
If firmware is stable indeed should synchronize with higher rate this time (once the line is been stable for long time)
On this perhaps other users may advise better because It may be a risk doing this

But of course once you have no issues now you can leave it like alone and wait to see what will happen but my advise don't change firmware, it may mess up again because of the many reboots/resynchronization needing

Last edited:
Soldato
On cue after 14 days of solid connection DLM bumped me up again this morning. Back up to 59Mb and changed from Interleaved back to Fastpath.

I think you may need to be more patient. DLM often takes 14 days of a solid connection for me to get an initial improvement after a big drop. If its only been 8 or 9 I'd give it another week before declaring it broken

That is good new, my standard OR modem appeared to take about a week to do the same. Although I have still yet to access it to find out the stats. The pings and tracert s coming down by half were the only indication things had improved...

Associate
I bought the DSL-N66U yesterday and have a problem. I'm on ADSL2 20MB at the moment but will be on fibre next week.

If most of the bandwidth is in use on my connection, e.g. downloading a 100mb+ file, everything else will loose it's connection to the Internet like steam and Spotify and Web pages take an age to load. This will be across all devices like tablets and phones on the wifi.

Has this issue cropped up and does anyone have a fix? I'be seen that QoS can be enabled, but my old dgn2000 netgear router handled things fine.

I don't own this model, i have the N17 and seems they must doing some kind of new enhancement features so from what logs i have seen (from other users of the n66u) are similar issues to N17U
Try set manually the dns servers ... if this does not work just enable qos (with any settings or default should be fine) and see if still does the same problem

Soldato

Its currently @10 days 12 hours, and no change, will leave it one more week if no change im declaring this firmware broken as i have a awesome line and should be getting bumped back up but currently not.

Associate
anyone with stable adsl connection on sky using this asus modem? i keep getting one a day disconnect and in log it says modem hangup then reconnects automatically

the uptime remains the same which is strange or its a bug?

Back
Top Bottom