AOC G2460PF

Associate
Yes - I've been in touch with their uk representatives, Repairtech.
They tell me they have 'no stock' of the monitor (old or revised) and didn't comment re: the new driver or firmware ....
They have offered to collect and replace my original model once they do, however...

But, I am beginning to wonder if this new driver will actually get released?

I see that AOC have released a monitor that 'looks' the same apart from not having the higher refresh rates - at almost half the price..

I asked a EU country's local reseller about the availability of this aoc monitor and they couldn't give any estimate on when they will be available again.
They said that AOC called back this and few other of their monitors, when they noticed this problem.
This was on 25.10.2015.

Associate
Can't seem to find good settings for my screen. Annyone recommend any starting points for calibrating the g2770pf? Colours seem washed out, and when I flick between gamma settings, I can - for a split second- see nice deep colours before the new gamma setting is applied. Weird. Fresh install of Windows, and AMD Catalyst should definitely be using FULL RGB.

Associate
This is the worst monitor I have ever used in the last two decades. It doesn't let you set overdrive for different inputs, and I need weak for 60hz PS4 gaming and off for 144hz PC Gaming. The weak overdrive setting adds weird black smears to moving fine detail at 144hz. Never encountered that before at 144hz.

Brightness is horrible. The gamma just seems really, really off no matter what settings I use, and the bottom half of the screen is so washed out compared to the top that my google chrome taskbar icon red is almost pink. Yes, I know this is a TN panel, but jesus... this panel is something else.

Soldato
This is the worst monitor I have ever used in the last two decades. It doesn't let you set overdrive for different inputs, and I need weak for 60hz PS4 gaming and off for 144hz PC Gaming. The weak overdrive setting adds weird black smears to moving fine detail at 144hz. Never encountered that before at 144hz.

Brightness is horrible. The gamma just seems really, really off no matter what settings I use, and the bottom half of the screen is so washed out compared to the top that my google chrome taskbar icon red is almost pink. Yes, I know this is a TN panel, but jesus... this panel is something else.

I concur that the overdrive performance of the monitor is quite different depending on the refresh rate, as will become quite clear in my upcoming review. That should also provide some assistance with setting the monitor up. It is even stranger having this pixel overdrive 'behaviour' change dynamically when using FreeSync. ;)

Associate
I concur that the overdrive performance of the monitor is quite different depending on the refresh rate, as will become quite clear in my upcoming review. That should also provide some assistance with setting the monitor up. It is even stranger having this pixel overdrive 'behaviour' change dynamically when using FreeSync. ;)

I guess you're referring to the way the gamma clearly 'darkens' when switching refresh rate from 144hz to 60 hz?

it's clear I could do with understanding the ramifications of the 'overdrive' setting rather better than I do (i.e. not at all).

One thing I'm finding is that some games seem to behave better with the freesync funtion than others.
Seems a shame to me that AMD (or AOC) don't provide better guidelines for using (and trouble-shooting) the feature.
I've had some issues when trying to use 144hz with freesync enabled, Vertsync off or on ... such as choppiness when the fps is above 60 (cured by using 60hz refresh rate) and also 'flickering' of the overall screen brightness (again cured by going down to 60hz).

Anyhow ... I notice on the product page (AOC site) they're clearly showing the freesync range as 35hz - 144hz - as per the new driver - which I still can't find for download...

Any chance of AOCuk rep posting here and letting us know when it'll be available?

Associate

When is the review coming out? I am still waiting on my monitor as my country is not considered as important as uk or USA are... They have had the fixed version for very long...

I am interested in the review, because it will help me to decide if I really want to get this

Soldato
When is the review coming out? I am still waiting on my monitor as my country is not considered as important as uk or USA are... They have had the fixed version for very long...

I am interested in the review, because it will help me to decide if I really want to get this

Early next week all going well. I've done most of the testing and will publish when I have time. I am also reluctant to publish it before the driver is released. I will be contacting them again on Monday to find out why the driver is not yet released.

Associate
I also got the G2770PF and the colors are horrible, it's even worse than my 6 year old low budget monitor. After hours of working with the settings i have the following setup: Contrast 50, Brightness 62, Gamma3, Red 53, Green 51, Blue 49

The problem is: gamma3 just darkens everything too much, but with gamma1 oder 2 the colors are really washed out. The colors still arent great, but at least acceptable. If there would be any 27inch monitor with the same Freesync range, I would send my monitor back!

Associate
I also got the G2770PF and the colors are horrible, it's even worse than my 6 year old low budget monitor. After hours of working with the settings i have the following setup: Contrast 50, Brightness 62, Gamma3, Red 53, Green 51, Blue 49

The problem is: gamma3 just darkens everything too much, but with gamma1 oder 2 the colors are really washed out. The colors still arent great, but at least acceptable. If there would be any 27inch monitor with the same Freesync range, I would send my monitor back!

I know it's not regarded highly, but have you tried the built-in Windows calibration utility?
It adjusts gamma itself, and I've been happier with the display when 'fine-tuning' in this way.

The mac built-in monitor calibration utility is better regarded I believe (although I find it too 'small' in some respects) and as I have my monitor connected to my imac as well, I should really try the .icc profile from there on my windows system too ...

Associate
@MPT204 My two other monitors (both low price: BenQ GL2460, and an over six year old Iiyama 22") have both TN Panels and much better colors than the AOC G2770PF.

@Barnacles No I haven't tried the Windows calibration utility yet. If you have a nice .icc profile, I would love to test it.

Soldato
I'd recommend waiting for my review of the G2460PF, which should be published tomorrow. That will include an ICC profile you can try. The preferred 'Gamma' setting may of course be different on the 24" versus 27" model and you may have to make different adjustments in the OSD, but hopefully it can help.

Associate
@MPT204 My two other monitors (both low price: BenQ GL2460, and an over six year old Iiyama 22") have both TN Panels and much better colors than the AOC G2770PF.

@Barnacles No I haven't tried the Windows calibration utility yet. If you have a nice .icc profile, I would love to test it.

I've got the 24" model, I should clarify, but also variation such as monitor height relative to user (this being a TN panel, an' all...) and ambient lighting conditions, mean anything I find an 'improvement' may not seem the same to you.
These system calibration utilities rely on 'user-response / judgment' of course, rather than any supposedly objective measuring of lighting / colour numbers.

they / it (windows) really aren't difficult or time-consuming to use - and they do result in a 'difference', certainly. I'd have a go if I were you.

As regards my experience with AOC customer service in the UK (repairtech) as mentioned above, it's getting more complicated.

They've emailed me today with 'collect and exchange' details for an RMA (it appears rather as though the monitor is already 'on the way' with the courier), without forewarning, and my attempts to clarify whether the 'new' monitor will have the firmware update have received no response ... d'oh!

@PCM2 - you've received no update about the official replacement driver?

Associate
having emailed / spoken with Repairtech / AOC (uk-centric) it seems my replacement monitor should have the new firmware - they 'think' it will...

to be honest, 'though, having read up on 'overdrive', it does seem to be a double-edged sword.

For the games I play (old school stuff like a heavily modded morrowind - which can easily take you below 40fps even with a v. good pc) I think I prefer it with overdrive set to 'off' or 'light'.
I find the the 'smoother' blur of these settings preferable to the more defined 'judder' overdrive introduces (quite apart from the coronas and all that stuf...).
Then again I probably still don't know what I'm talking about, and of course haven't been able to use the feature with 144hz anyway (but then, I haven't had much luck with the top refresh rate generally).

Another point - with my set-up, the monitor 'reports' supported refresh rates of 30, 29 and 25 hz interlaced.
I've not been able to successfully apply any of these: the screen sort of shakes (you can see the desktop, but it's wiggling up and down in an ... interlaced manner ...), and I have to revert back to a 'normal' refresh rate.

anyone else try these out?

Last edited:
Associate
just sent an email off to aoc, after seeing people starting to receive emails about receiving replacements and apparently still no stock and no eta.

yes, I'll update if my replacement turns up tomorrow, and if it appears to be the new firmware. I wont be surprised if it isn't, tbh, but fingers crossed.

Associate
@PCM2 Thank you for reviewing the G2460PF. Your ICC profile also works great with my G2770PF, finally a satisfying overall look. They colors still aren't that great, but it's fine for an 144hz TN Panel now.

Associate
@PCM2 Thank you for reviewing the G2460PF. Your ICC profile also works great with my G2770PF, finally a satisfying overall look. They colors still aren't that great, but it's fine for an 144hz TN Panel now.

yes, that's brilliant work, PCM2.

I'd come to some of the same general conclusions through less technically aware trial and error (i.e. gamma 3, brightness to 0 etc, although in practice I found this latter setting too dull) I think.

Really looking forward to trying your icc profile.

Back
Top Bottom